DIY Apex Breakout Box

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing an Apex breakout box for a friend's build. Did one for myself a few years ago, used a spring terminal strip from Amazon, had several left over. UXCell 12 way spring terminal strip... they're not expensive, work great, no need to try and stick 6 grounds into a single screw terminal. Only other items you need are a DIN 8 cable, a bit of solder, a few screws, and a box to put it in.

Back when I built mine, I bought a box. Certainly the most expensive bit of the project. This time, I decided to print one. If anyone is interested, .STL file is attached. Box turned out pretty good, IMHO. Works great with the 3" UXCell spring terminals. I'd recommend ABS or PETG, since it's so close to a tank... I did 20% infill. Plenty strong. No supports, no plate adhesion, etc.

Screw the base to the wall, top, with the strip mounted, slides right over it.

Apex_BOB.jpg

Attachments

• DIY_Apex_BOB.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided I wanted a bit more space in the box, so I increased it by a half inch. Also made the mounting holes smaller, they were way to big on the original.

Printing this version now, I'll post actual photos when it's done printing.

Attachments

• LargeApexBOB.zip
    404.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some final pics. Tests out fine.

BOB1.jpg

BOB2.jpg

BOB3.jpg

BOB4.jpg

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Unfortunately I am the worlds worst solderer.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Unfortunately I am the worlds worst solderer.

I used to be, until my wife got me a higher-end soldering station for xmas. Turns out, I'm way better when the iron isn't trash. Even with shaky hands.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be willing to share which one she got for you? I'm quite happy to 'blame' the tools (never hit a bad forehand, it was always the racquet) ... even if my suspicions about being bad at soldering are well founded LOL.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh. It's a skill... takes a bit of practice, is all. I'm not much good these days either... bad vision, shaky hands, and I'm using a junk $12 Chinese soldering iron.

Does it work? Good, Close the box, nobody's going to see the sloppy soldering :D

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be willing to share which one she got for you?
Aoyue Int 968A+. She got it off Amazon. It's really super good, comes with replacement tips, the vacuum on the iron is really nice for the fumes, and the SMD air blower is actually really useful for doing shrink tubing or bending ABS/acrylic. (I don't even go near SMD). I was really impressed with the quality, and all the spare parts they included in the box when I opened it up. It heats up really quick, and I found that I enjoy soldering now, as opposed to dreading it, when I was using a radio shack 50w simple iron.

I went from avoiding all soldering other than tinning wires to replacing all the LED's on a 48" strip in like a month of using this. The heat-up time is a huge difference. I hate waiting around, and the basic iron you just have to keep trying until it works or you throw it out the window. This one has a digital display that tells you when you are good to go, and I'd say you go from off to solder in about 45 seconds. I also sometimes turn the heat on it way down and use it to press nuts into 3d prints.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back