DIY (Auto) FROZEN FOOD FEEDER

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... splitting the output has its limitations. Every tank would have to get fed the same number of times per day and the same amounts. Your system is better as it allows you to customize based on the needs of individual tanks.

Did I understand the link you provided correctly... do you actually feed into the return chamber and have you pump too the feeding?

I can see how substituting fluid for air in my design would be an improvement. But my design doesn't include a method to stir the contents, which would be necessary as the food would settle to the bottom.
A magnetic stir and some sort of auto top off would help replenish the water and the magnetic stirring would keep things in suspension.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I understand the link you provided correctly... do you actually feed into the return chamber and have you pump too the feeding?
If I understand your question (above) correctly.
YES I pump food into a SUMP (right into the Return Pump). That Return pump/sump is in my Basement (sucks in the food) and sends it to my (Tank Upstairs). Saves me a ton of tubing and height pressure to go up a floor.

Wait till the video comes out (60% uploaded). I clearly show one of the dosing lines going into Sump and Return Pump Area.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have! But in a closed container, that problem is solved.

So if odor is the only reason, I would think building one without the cooling would reduce the cost and the complexity.

But a great job!
Well Odor is NOT the ACTUAL Proplem. Odor is telling you that the Food is Rotting and Bad Bacteria is the Smell.
You don't want to feed your fish Thawed frozen food that has been sitting at room temp for hours.
Remember the Frozen food isn't cooked, it RAW. If fish actually eat it, they might get sick. Bad for the Water quality too.
A magnetic stir and some sort of auto top off would help replenish the water and the magnetic stirring would keep things in suspension.
As I mentioned in the Article. The Stirrer is a nice to have for consistant feedings. (Optional)
I got it when I used a WIDE FLAT bottom Flask for the Single Food container.

When I improved the Design using the Ice-Tea-tapered bottom, or the V or U shaped bottom of the distribution container, food settles at the bottom of the V shape. The tube is always where food is, so a Stirrer isn't needed as much. Thus my Distrbution Container doesn't have a stirrer and all food get taken.

BTW the U shaped container is a Plastic Shell that Chocolate Easter Eggs are sold in so they don't crack.
I also got V shape containers from Dollar Store and they are Acrylic Magarita Glasses with Stem cut off.
ALL CHEAP (Food Grade Parts) and NOT EXPENSIVE Scientific Supplies.

Hang in there, you see will everything in action when the VIDEO comes OUT.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Compilment.
This Feeder was super simple and a few hours to design a build after prototype. Yeah the write up was PAINFUL.

I find the time since I don't waste time on TV shows. I really want to finish Game of Throne since I started a few years ago (got to Season 5 2nd Last episode...but stalled on the Binge watching). Please don't spoil what's coming...

I also find time by building automation for my Tanks (so less tank work)......Like a DIY AUto Water changer. All 4 tanks.

You want complex and time consuming. This DIY ALK monitor (3 tank) took over 6 months, and works like a charm.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/★-diy-auto-★-alkalinity-monitor-★-3-tank-hanna-with-raspberry-pi-ardiuno-with-advanced-features.689106/
No spoilers here lol. Im definitely gonna have to fully read the alk tester, looks like a portable time traveling device made from a printer lol. Your ingenuity is incredible keep it up. I'll definitely check out your build threads im sure you got some interesting stuff stashed in there too.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What great detail and what a great idea!! This is exactly what I need for my tanks so thank you for taking the time to post!! Most of my fish are live food/live frozen so going on vacation is next to impossible. I have to try this. I also noticed some members posted other DIY ideas so I will have to read this thread in detail. Can you update the post to let us know how it works long term? Five thumbs up for this!!

Hans2278

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the lookout for something like this to feed my seahorses while away. Your Cadillac version is cheap compared to paying my mother in law $25 for each day to feed them twice. It would have paid off months ago lol. I’m looking forward to your video to see if it is anything I can tackle. I know it is probably a no go but worth a shot - are You willing to make few pieces for sale? I would definitely be interested and would of course pay for your time

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the lookout for something like this to feed my seahorses while away. Your Cadillac version is cheap compared to paying my mother in law $25 for each day to feed them twice. It would have paid off months ago lol. I’m looking forward to your video to see if it is anything I can tackle. I know it is probably a no go but worth a shot - are You willing to make few pieces for sale? I would definitely be interested and would of course pay for your time
That's Hilarious.
This is so simple to build, and you don't need my help.
Simple enough that your Mother in Law could make one. But then Price really goes $UP$ at her Labour Rate.

VIDEO Is one hour away from Finishing Upload. It should be LIVE at 11pm.

Just watch it, and you'll see anyone can make one of these. (I really think I made the write up too heavy, and it happened when I added photos after doing a simple text version. Things got out of order)

This video shows the build better than the Photos. Good Zoom in Close ups.
Things pumping and flowing. FISH MUNCHING!!

Maybe I'll make a 2nd video taking it all apart and how it put it together. All Junk around the house. (3 mins)
The programming is no different than programming a doser for Adding Additives. Actually simpler, it's one time, Set and Forget..

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What great detail and what a great idea!! This is exactly what I need for my tanks so thank you for taking the time to post!! Most of my fish are live food/live frozen so going on vacation is next to impossible. I have to try this. I also noticed some members posted other DIY ideas so I will have to read this thread in detail. Can you update the post to let us know how it works long term? Five thumbs up for this!!
Thanks for the kind words.
I'll update long term running results.
However since it runs perfect, and cleans perfect (tested for a unmanned week, then reloaded with more food)... it will last just as long as any doser would.
My DIY doser it's running on is over 5 year old and same original Kamoer pumps, silicone tubes.
Just check out the video in a few more minutes, and you'll be convinced it's rock-solid for long term reliability.
There are no moving parts (putting aside a magnetic stirrer and the dosing pumps)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I approached this from a different perspective using 24v 3A, I designed a simpler version of a frozen food dispenser a few years back. This was the first iteration of the dispensing mechanism minus the solid state components that kept everything frozen.

And here's one that debut a few years ago at MACNA with a refined dispenser

And an article on it

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words.
I'll update long term running results.
However since it runs perfect, and cleans perfect (tested for a unmanned week, then reloaded with more food)... it will last just as long as any doser would.
My DIY doser it's running on is over 5 year old and same original Kamoer pumps, silicone tubes.
Just check out the video in a few more minutes, and you'll be convinced it's rock-solid for long term reliability.
There are no moving parts (putting aside a magnetic stirrer and the dosing pumps)
That's awesome and I will check out the video. Thanks!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I approached this from a different perspective using 24v 3A, I designed a simpler version of a frozen food dispenser a few years back. This was the first iteration of the dispensing mechanism minus the solid state components that kept everything frozen.

And here's one that debut a few years ago at MACNA with a refined dispenser

And an article on it

I like your Final Design.

In my case, the capacity is a way too small for a week away. 7 small cubes barely enough for a daily feed for me.
Wouldn't meet my needs to feed 4 separate tanks.
My version is also 100% un-obstrutive since I even find the small Ehiem Pellet feeder a bit in the way (with my TANK net tops on).
I personally also like the last minute Idea for going self cleaning in my Final Verion.

My goal here is to give folks a DIY opportunity to make their own Custom Feeder at low cost.

However you have a value proposition for folks that need your kind of feeder. Folks that can't build their own as well.
Congratulation on your creativity and ingenuity.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE DEMO VIDEO is LIVE on YouTUBE.....
(Posted Below and at the Top of the Article Thread for newcomers....To save them the painful read....Read can folllow for details)

Hope it brings a bit of simple clarity to the overkill write up.

I show my DIY Doser in the video. Don't get concerned about Custom Features that I show.
Any standard 3 head Off-The-Shelf Doser will work just as well. Exactly the same run sequences.

View VIDEO right here on the Forum page....

(Bring A small bag of Popcorn, it's about 10 mins short)....

or copy the (blue text) below into your WEB Browser.
youtu.be/Oil5-u3_SJA
(This way you get FULL SCREEN HIGH RES, not crushed into a Small WIndow on the R2R reef page)

or do a Search on your YouTube APP for Aquarium (FROZEN FOOD Auto Feeder) DEMO

This is no Pro-Edited Video... (Just off the top of my head using my Phone Camera)
My voice is bit hoarse from my Seasonal Alergies.

Hoping to hear everyone's Feedback on the Video (if it helped explain things better for the Article Read Details)
Post comments here, not on You Tube.

WallyB

Last edited:

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE DEMO VIDEO is LIVE on YouTUBE.....
(Posted Below and at the Top of the Article Thread for newcomers....To save them the painful read....Read can folllow for details)

Hope it brings a bit of simple clarity to the overkill write up.

I show my DIY Doser in the video. Don't get concerned about Custom Features that I show.
Any standard 3 head Off-The-Shelf Doser will work just as well. Exactly the same run sequences.

View VIDEO right here on the Forum page....

https: //youtu.be/Oil5-u3_SJA

(Bring A small bag of Popcorn, it's 10 mins short)....

or copy the (blue text) below into your WEB Browser.
https: //youtu.be/Oil5-u3_SJA
(This way you get FULL SCREEN HIGH RES, not crushed into a Small WIndow on the R2R reef page)

or do a Search on your YouTube APP for Aquarium (FROZEN FOOD Auto Feeder) DEMO

This is no Pro-Edited Video... (Just off the top of my head using my Phone Camera)
My voice is bit hoarse from my Seasonal Alergies.

Hoping to hear everyone's Feedback on the Video (if it helped explain things better for the Article Read Details)
Post comments here, not on You Tube.

WallyB

About time!
and my comment about the stirrer wasn’t for your build but the comment someone else said about using an air pump etc etc..

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the video and love the prototype.

I have done a few projects using Peltier Modules so there are two things I am wondering about.

Are you actually able to keep the food frozen? I think when I used some 60W modules I got them to do about a 30 deg drop in temp which was not nearly enough to take ambient room temp down to the freezing point.

I don't see a fan on the heat-sink so how are you circulating the air inside and is the Fan on the hot side just out of view or is that whole part of the system still in the development stage.

Just a suggestion, you might want to change up the design completely. I would go with making the frozen section as small as possible. In my mind maybe as wide and as high as the heatsink and then stretch out another 5 inches so it can hold maybe a dozen or more cubes. It would then require a new design to get the cubes out of the frozen section by possibly using an auger system like @Sisterlimonpot was demonstrating and a sliding door. Every square inch in saved freezer space is a lot lower temp you can chill to and also using less power. Keeping all that extra equipment and space cold is not really helping the process.

Just some friendly advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the video and love the prototype.

I have done a few projects using Peltier Modules so there are two things I am wondering about.

Are you actually able to keep the food frozen? I think when I used some 60W modules I got them to do about a 30 deg drop in temp which was not nearly enough to take ambient room temp down to the freezing point.

I don't see a fan on the heat-sink so how are you circulating the air inside and is the Fan on the hot side just out of view or is that whole part of the system still in the development stage.

Just a suggestion, you might want to change up the design completely. I would go with making the frozen section as small as possible. In my mind maybe as wide and as high as the heatsink and then stretch out another 5 inches so it can hold maybe a dozen or more cubes. It would then require a new design to get the cubes out of the frozen section by possibly using an auger system like @Sisterlimonpot was demonstrating and a sliding door. Every square inch in saved freezer space is a lot lower temp you can chill to and also using less power. Keeping all that extra equipment cold is not really helping the process.

Just some friendly advice.

Hey @robbyg

Thanks for the comments.

It's beyond prototype. For me It's finished and I'm not going to build more to go mass production. It's all for my setup only.
May a few minor tweaks for myself.
No intention to make money of this Project. Maybe other ideas I have.

Oops. I guess I assumed everyone knew what a Koolatron was.
I didn't design/build the Cooling System. It's a old one I have kicking around. Too small for big family trips so we just use Ice Filled Larger version (This Koolatron was spare)

The Feeder design just uses the Coolatron. The Semiconductor Cooling Component, Radiator Fins, and Fan all as is.
These things run Cold or Hot (depending how you plug in the DC, + or - )

And actually like the fact that things stay just above Freezing since then water/food-soup wouldn't flow thru Frozen.
The Frozen Food does stay frozen for a while and slowly thaws and sinks to bottom for feeding.
I actually rinse the Frozen and throw it into the Pre-Cool Super Cold Water.
WHen I rinse I can fit like 50, ,maybe 80 Cubes into the Concentrate Bottle. But I only do about 20 for a 5 day feed.

The whole purpose is for the Cooler is to keep the Thawed Frozen Food Fresh. I used it for a week and it still was fresh when I emptied the Concentrate.

There are many version of these DC cooler, and some are smaller and cheaper too.

The parts inside being cold isn't a issue. More Contents is more heat mass. The more things you put into a cooler the more stable the temp is (when you peek inside).

Thanks of the improvement tips. Could be useful to others.
For me it's work perfect. Most important to me is easy maintenance, refills, and being simple, and fail safe.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @robbyg

Thanks for the comments.

It's beyond prototype. For me It's finished and I'm not going to build more to go mass production of something like that.
May a few minor tweaks for myself.

Oops. I guess I assumed everyone knew what a Coolatron was.
I didn't design/build the Cooling System. It's a old one I have kicking around. Too small for big family trips so we just use Ice Filled Larger version (This Coolatron was spare)

The Feeder design just uses the Coolatron. The Semiconductor Cooling Component, Radiator Fins, and Fan all as is.
These things run Cold or Hot (depending how you plug in the DC, + or - )

And actually like the fact that things stay just above Freezing since then water/food-soup wouldn't flow thru Frozen.
The Frozen Food does stay frozen for a while and slowly thaws and sinks to bottom for feeding.
I actually rinse the Frozen and throw it into the Pre-Cool Super Cold Water.
WHen I rinse I can fit like 50, ,maybe 80 Cubes into the Concentrate Bottle. But I only do about 20 for a 5 day feed.

The whole purpose is for the Cooler is to keep the Thawed Frozen Food Fresh. I used it for a week and it still was fresh when I emptied the Concentrate.

There are many version of these DC cooler, and some are smaller and cheaper too.

The parts inside being cold isn't a issue. More Contents is more heat mass. The more things you put into a cooler the more stable the temp is (when you peek inside).

Thanks of the improvement tips. Could be useful to others.
For me it's work perfect. Most important to me is easy maintenance, refills, and being simple, and fail safe.

Ahh I thought it was just a passive ice box that you had converted to use active cooling.
I get what your saying about the frozen food being more difficult to work with. I think if I ever decided to go this route I would just let it drop the frozen cubes into the cup of water and give them 20 minutes to thaw out and then pump out the mix. I like the idea of it being able to run for longer periods of time as I would only use it if I was going away on a trip.

Great work, it certainly gets my mind thinking of a better mouse trap :D

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I thought it was just a passive ice box that you had converted to use active cooling.
I get what your saying about the frozen food being more difficult to work with. I think if I ever decided to go this route I would just let it drop the frozen cubes into the cup of water and give them 20 minutes to thaw out and then pump out the mix. I like the idea of it being able to run for longer periods of time as I would only use it if I was going away on a trip.

Great work, it certainly gets my mind thinking of a better mouse trap :D
Exactly. You got it now.
Regardless of if you rinse or go with cubes slowly thawing in water. You can throw in a ton of cubes into the Concentrate Container.... compared to the space you would need to handle frozen cubes and move them around.

I have plenty of room in the cooler to replace the Ice-Tea-Bottle with a Large Beaker and go with even more frozen whole cubes (floating in water and thawing slowly)....then stirred with the Magentic Stirrer.

This extra capacity allows me to feed 4 (or more) tanks from the One Feeder (Across long distances from the Base Station), and run it maybe even up to two weeks. But for me 1 week is perfect (Then I refill again)

Not sure how long food stays fresh at just above freezing, but I figure pretty long, especially in Cold RO water.
Typical Fridges are a bit warmer then a never opened cooler like this.

Last edited:

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great design and clearly works well for you. I think what you've made is optimal but curious to know if you thought about storing the frozen food in much higher salinity water such that it wouldn't freeze? We'd have to look up the freezing point at varying salinity levels but normal seawater freezes at around -2c so I can believe you could get it to say -5c and still liquid if you had a higher salinity. Could pump that from a mini freezer straight into the tank? And then have your clever way of cleaning the pipes out too

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fantastic write up, @WallyB. Thank you for sharing. I might try something like this in the future for vacations.

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great design and clearly works well for you. I think what you've made is optimal but curious to know if you thought about storing the frozen food in much higher salinity water such that it wouldn't freeze? We'd have to look up the freezing point at varying salinity levels but normal seawater freezes at around -2c so I can believe you could get it to say -5c and still liquid if you had a higher salinity. Could pump that from a mini freezer straight into the tank? And then have your clever way of cleaning the pipes out too
Just had a look at this, if you stored it at 1.074 it wouldn't freeze at -5c
Screenshot_20200829-085540__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200829-085531__01.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back