TheReefArchitect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently purchased a 600x400x400 optiwhite nano tank and plan on drilling the tank myself.

I haven't ordered and plumbing or started drilling the tank so i thought i best check with someone more experienced than myself.

What is the best design / setup to run. I had ideally wanted to simply run one inlet & one outlet. Not bothering with a weir, just standard bulkhead fittings.

I began researching plumbing etc. and opened a can of worms regarding an emergency drain ect.

Will running a 1 inch & half inch inlet & outlet be okay? Whats the argument of having them both next to each other vs. opposite ends of the tank?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the over flow kits
That give you the hole saw along with the zero inside overflow box and a bean animal outside box.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will make the overflow quite. Other wise you will hear a loud gurgling sound as the water from the tank goes down to the sump. It is really loud and you do not want that. The low profile overflow box keeps fish and shrimp from going dow into the sump and there will be no noise at all.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make the over flow quite in other ways. It is definatly a good idea to have 2 drains Incase one we’re to get blocked. Even a 1.5” drain can get clogged if a turbo snail decides to go done the only drain. If your only going to have one drain you want it a fair bit larger than your feed and you want to make it almost impossible to get clogged. A simple screen can be a good way to keep it from getting clogged. I just set up my Mangrove Lagoon with a single drain and it is silent.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back