Diy durso plumbing

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 g reef ready tank. Built my own plumbing for the drain and return pipes. Fo I need to use cement on the return line at the bulkhead or can I use some nylon tape( plumbing tape)? For the drain pipe to the sump I'm thinking the same using plumber's tape and not use cement?

Looking for opinions. The plumbing is for the dual overflows inside the tank. Underneath hasn't been figured out yet.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using threaded fittings?
Threaded fittings can be taped.

Idk how you would apply teflon tape to a slip joint tho...
Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the directions to install what you made if you bought one.

Step 5 Screw the DUAL NOZZLE into the 3/4" ELBOW. Press fit the opposite side of the ELBOW to one end of the RETURN PIPE. Press fit the remaining end of the RETURN PIPE into the 3/4" BULKHEAD, already mounted in the aquarium. The 3/4" Bulkhead will then connect to 3/4" inner diameter flexible tube (not supplied). Note: The small hole in the 3/4" ELBOW is an anti-siphon feature for power outage to the pump and must remain open.

STEP 6: The drainpipe assembly is NOT to be permanently bonded together. This is for easy access and cleaning of the drainpipe components. Assemble the STRAINER, the 90° ELBOW and the AIR INTAKE ELBOW by snapping, as shown. The elbow assembly and the DRAIN PIPE BASE, then get press fit to the ADJUSTABLE DRAINPIPE. Depending on the height of your aquarium, the DRAIN PIPE may need to be adjusted (DO NOT cut to length). To adjust your drainpipe, simply submerge pipe assembly in water. Once the pipe assembly is wet, adjust to correct length. The entire drain assembly then gets press fit into the 1" BULKHEAD, already mounted in the aquarium

Press fit means do not glue

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is for the dursos and return WITHIN the overflow box, use neither. Use slip bulkheads. You want be be able to remove the pipes to clean or to get them out so you can retrieve your prized lineatus that goes over the falls. Infact, I put lube at the bottom of the durso because even slip fittings can weld themselves in. You don't want to have to torque a stuck durso and crack the bottom of the tank. On the outside of the tank, under the boxes, I thread on a union.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using threaded fittings?
Threaded fittings can be taped.

Idk how you would apply teflon tape to a slip joint tho...
Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF
I’ve seen Teflon on pvc slips during tank breakdowns. It’s a way to make a decent seal without making a permanent connection. You go around 2-3 times with the tape and the pvc will go in more snug then usual.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen Teflon on pvc slips during tank breakdowns. It’s a way to make a decent seal without making a permanent connection. You go around 2-3 times with the tape and the pvc will go in more snug then usual.
Thats scary. Especially for the return section.
I guess im more of a code plumber.
Clear primer and glue with unions.
No worry of leaks behind a 1000lb tank i cannot move in an emergency and still have easily removable plumbing sections.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 g reef ready tank. Built my own plumbing for the drain and return pipes. Fo I need to use cement on the return line at the bulkhead or can I use some nylon tape( plumbing tape)? For the drain pipe to the sump I'm thinking the same using plumber's tape and not use cement?

Looking for opinions. The plumbing is for the dual overflows inside the tank. Underneath hasn't been figured out yet.
If you want a good seal and still be removeable, you can use a small bead of silicone on the pipe when pressing it into the bulkhead. It will create a water tight seal, but still be able to be removed if needed.

I have used teflon tape on slip joints when testing some plumbing before glueing. I havent used it long term, but it held for a couple weeks without issue. If you wanted to use this on the return line at the bulkhead I think it would be fine.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back