DIY EcoTech Vortech Controller Bracket

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never understand why Ecotech designed their newer controllers without mounting screws. The old style had mounting holes to simply screw the controller to whatever you wanted to screw it to.

The newer ovoid shaped controllers came with Velcro, which I always found pretty cheesey. I actually never used it, and simply "hung" the controller off of something, most times using the wires to hang it.

So I recently found out that Ecotech has a mount for this newer ovoid controllers....and are not including it with new purchases. I don't get it. It's a piece of extruded plastic that cost pennies to make, and for this over priced Cadillac of powerheads, they still include Velcro. So after spending 250, 350, or 675, you now need to spend another $12 for their 49 cent piece of plastic bracket....or use the Velcro. I just don't get it!

This actually ticked me off! And one thing you don't want to do is make an Irishman PO'ed. We all morph into this little red bearded guy that looks like this:

irish.jpg

After a couple drinks and a potato or two, I morphed back, loosing the red beard, and gaining in stature, I decided to make my own bracket. I'm in the process of planning out my equipment cabinet, and wanted everything organized.

So, my wife had recently purchase clementines in a little wooden crate....and I used this wood to make the bracket. Tracing the ovoid shape, and using my coping saw (hand coping saw), I made this little bracket:

And, if I wasn't happy with my little wooden bracket, I have access to a 3D printer and could have easily made this out of plastic for less than the $12 Ecotech charges for their bracket.

I'm done with my rant! Now make this bracket or I'll turn back into the mean Irishman! :mad: :rolleyes: :D

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could, not only do I not have the tools I don't have the skills either. Talk to me about computer repair and networks, or fixing heave equipment I'll be happy I'm trying to learn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
First I will say, very nice looking bracket.
I ran into the same problem with the new power supply for my Vectra M1. No holes to run screws through like the power supply for the Vectra L1. I had to make one with aluminum sheet metal. No where near as finish looking as yours redfishbluefish.
They are shipping nice controller brackets for the controllers for the Vectra pumps.

I did buy a controller holder from them for my MP40QD. It is metal. Didn't seem to mind the small charge, but combined with their shipping charges raised it up to minor irritation I suppose.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait @mfinn , this bracket they show in the picture is metal? I just assumed it would be plastic.

Driver_mount_2-1024x725.png

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm assuming the reason they are metal is because the new controller for the Vectra pumps have what looks like a heat sink on the outside ( back) of the controller.
There is a little bit of heat coming from the controller, but not much.

I still like your bracket.
Nice diy skills.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have are metal.

I apologize to Ecotech....I thought they were plastic. If it were me, I'd make them out of plastic......AND INCLUDE THEM WITH EVER NEW POWERHEAD! :)

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have are metal.

same here, they are metal, not plastic.

I agree with ya, they should just include them with all the vortechs, but for 12 bucks, saved me the time and effort. lol

nice skills on the DIY version. however, if you were to 3d print them, I bet the time/cad work and materials would cost out to more than 12, at least for the first couple. after that, youd just be using electricity and 3d printing material,

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliments everyone.

And @Bob Escher , it actually is a very easy project that is ideal for a novice. Other than paper, pencil, sandpaper and glue, the only tool you need is a hand-held coping saw. Harbor Freight has these for $6.

And @Jlobes , I should be seeing my 3D printing guy later today. I'll ask him what it would take to print up something like this....or even the Ecotech design.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back