DIY for HOB skimmer?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm gonna be stuck with my 50g for a while, so I was wondering if anyone has a working plan for an HOB skimmer?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new Aquamaxx ConeS HOB skimmer about a month ago and the thing is amazing. Have it on my 75gal tank and it is so much better than my Tunze skimmer. The thing was pulling out gunk within 30 minutes of plugging it in. It makes a little hum noise but nothing distracting and is quiter than the tunze. My only issue has big bubbles coming out the return hose. I contacted Aquamaxx and they were no help. Just said it would go away after it broke in. I tried to tell them it wasn't the microbubbles and even sent them a short video. There only solution was do a water change and run carbon. I haven't really messed with it to see if I can fix it. I'm thinking maybe the return tube isn't long enough. Other than that I would give the thing 5 stars. I would say it would do up to a 120gal tank with no problems. Of course it has a drain on the skimmer cup so now I want a waste collector with auto shutoff.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Must look that one up. :)
I was thinking DIY cuz I'm trying to save up for a new tank, plus all this having to move and crud....

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquamaxx is not cheap. It was around $300. Worth every penny in my opinion. You could look at the tunze 9004 although it is internal. I have one on my 30gal tank and it does a great job. You could look around and see if you can find a used cpr hob for cheap. They aren't bad and can be modded to work better. I've seen them for sale on our local reef board in the $50 range.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, if I were to get the aquamaxx it looks like it would work on my eventual 125. The question is, how soon can I pay for it...

Ei needs a credit card *shot*

jodah175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for diy, however, when it comes to certain things it's sometimes better to just buy a good product. The Reef Octopus Classic 100 would be just fine for what you need, and most websites have it for $150. Hard to say it'd be better to diy your own for that price.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for diy, however, when it comes to certain things it's sometimes better to just buy a good product. The Reef Octopus Classic 100 would be just fine for what you need, and most websites have it for $150. Hard to say it'd be better to diy your own for that price.
OK. I've heard Reef Octopus is a pretty good brand, so I'll look into that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back