DIY HOB Overflow

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who all is using a diy hob overflow? I have seen some videos on youtube but they seem kind of suspect to me. Anyone using one they would recommend? Preferred design?

Thanks!

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been using the diy pvc overflow for a few years. Check on you tube for updated modified one from king of diy with weir. I would definitely use the toms aqualifter to make sure you keep the air out also put a gait valve or ball valve on the Down flow pipe to the sump to control the flow and to adjust the noise

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the diy pvc overflow for a few years. Check on you tube for updated modified one from king of diy with weir. I would definitely use the toms aqualifter to make sure you keep the air out also put a gait valve or ball valve on the Down flow pipe to the sump to control the flow and to adjust the noise

If the aqualifter stops working does the system fail or can bubbles just start to accumulate?

OMGitsManBearPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your design.
Short answer, bubbles will accumulate and reduce the efficiency of flow out of the tank.

Yes... that means your return pump might overrun the outflow if it gets bad enough.

A catastrophic failure of your vacuum pump could, in theory, break the siphon. So, it’s a remote risk both ways.

I never used an aqualifter - ever - over 6 years of running diy weir-type overflow boxes on my tanks.
It takes monthly maintenance, routine inspection (like every time you feed), but I found them to be relatively frustration free. YMMV.

Experience: many years and a few tanks running DIY acrylic weirs, both molded and u-tube styles. Used them on client tanks when I set up and maintained them for a living, on occasion.

Check out the diy acrylic weir design over at Melevs Reef. They work well.

I will never consider using one again. Drilling is too easy and makes life so much better.
Take that for what it’s worth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back