DIY in refugium algae scrubber

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying a very basic design for an in sump algae scrubber. Calling it an “algae plate”. Instead of a waterfall design I want to see if this will work.
A little background on the tank and why I’m trying this.
The why:
1. I had the refugium set up with chaeto and my phosphate ran between .02 and .04
2. The chaeto began to suffer as other micro algae began to overtake the chaeto. Mostly hair algae.
3. After shutting down my refugium my phosphate began to rise up to .29 over a 2 month period. Hanna checker
4. I could purchase an algae scrubber but wanted to see if this low cost option will grow enough hair algae that I can scrap off and keep phosphates under control.
Tank setup:
1. Waterbox peninsula tank 6022.
2. Mechanical filtration is filter socks changed every 3 days.
3. Skimmer is a bubble magus curve 7.
4. Obviously now testing DIY in sump algae “plate” Running a AI prime refugium light. Now running at 100% for 12 hours a day. Alternate daylight schedule. 8pm to 8am.
5. Lights up top are Radion gen 5 pro.
6. Water change of 15-20 percent each week.
7. Additives are carbocalcium and Iodine.
8. Feeding pellets once a day (auto feeder), and a single cube of hakri each day. Various flavors.
9. Tank just celebrated its first birthday in November.
The goal:
1. Reduce phosphate back to levels when cheato was doing well. Minimum.
2. Reduce the need to do water changes to 10 percent each week.
3. See increase pod life within the tank and sump.
Hopefully I will be able to give weekly or biweekly updates on phosphate levels.

0399EC8E-C591-4512-89F8-C49362F9567E.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying a very basic design for an in sump algae scrubber. Calling it an “algae plate”. Instead of a waterfall design I want to see if this will work.
A little background on the tank and why I’m trying this.
The why:
1. I had the refugium set up with chaeto and my phosphate ran between .02 and .04
2. The chaeto began to suffer as other micro algae began to overtake the chaeto. Mostly hair algae.
3. After shutting down my refugium my phosphate began to rise up to .29 over a 2 month period. Hanna checker
4. I could purchase an algae scrubber but wanted to see if this low cost option will grow enough hair algae that I can scrap off and keep phosphates under control.
Tank setup:
1. Waterbox peninsula tank 6022.
2. Mechanical filtration is filter socks changed every 3 days.
3. Skimmer is a bubble magus curve 7.
4. Obviously now testing DIY in sump algae “plate” Running a AI prime refugium light. Now running at 100% for 12 hours a day. Alternate daylight schedule. 8pm to 8am.
5. Lights up top are Radion gen 5 pro.
6. Water change of 15-20 percent each week.
7. Additives are carbocalcium and Iodine.
8. Feeding pellets once a day (auto feeder), and a single cube of hakri each day. Various flavors.
9. Tank just celebrated its first birthday in November.
The goal:
1. Reduce phosphate back to levels when cheato was doing well. Minimum.
2. Reduce the need to do water changes to 10 percent each week.
3. See increase pod life within the tank and sump.
Hopefully I will be able to give weekly or biweekly updates on phosphate levels.

0399EC8E-C591-4512-89F8-C49362F9567E.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
You’ll have to take it out occasionally to scrape it, and rinse it, or this will happen eventually; :)

OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae plate:
The build is a simple PVC build and a knitting screen zip tied to the structure. Sized it to be roughly the size of the refugium and hopefully as the algae grows it will grow predominantly on the screen allowing for easy removal.
Nothing is glued together so the legs can be removed if needed.

OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First week in. Starting to see some initial growth. Phosphate this week is at .25

let’s see what next week brings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
duffstanton

duffstanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to do a water change. Still seeing initial growth. Phosphate still at .25

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 125

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any flow going over the algae plate? From what I understand, most scrubbers seem to work by a flow of water passing over the mesh carrying the nitrate/phosphate impregnated water through the algae, scrubbing it out as it flows through. I think the flow of nutrient-rich water is what helps encourage algae to grow on the mesh rather than just growing everywhere? https://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/some-algae-scrubber-basics/
Without constant flow, this seems like more of a hair-algae-based refugium, so possibly not that much different to your previous chaeto based fuge. I guess the idea is that the hair algae on the screen will be more suited than chaeto was, to outcompete general nuisance algae, but without flow going over the screen, is there much to encourage algae to prioritise the screen other than just higher light exposure? If you had a powerhead with a spray bar placed at one end of the mesh (like a mini DIY gyre pump) you could get the water flowing over the mesh and encourage more algae growth? Otherwise, I've seen folks just plumb a pump into the PVC pipe frame itself and drill a bunch of holes along the pipe to direct flow along the mesh.
Just thinking aloud...

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on taking the first filter sock compartment of my 120g AIO and using a piece of plastic mesh (you know the stuff)and putting it in there vertically at an angle. It will be lit by 1 or 2 Tunze Eco Chic Refugium lights I’m currently using on my Chaeto…which does fine in HOB Refugium but dies in The kicker is I’m going to use a round airstone at the bottom. The bubbles will have to go through 2 more chambers, including my skimmer, to get to the return so no worries on bubbles in the DT. This will effectively create the Santa Monica Scrubber design in-tank. Approximately 2 of the 1.4x models

From what I have read, there has to be air mixed in to break some sort of natural barrier around the algae or media to allow uptake of nutrients. I realize that isn’t super science-y sounding. This is why just setting a well light screen in your tank won’t be anywhere as efficient as a cascading or waterfall style.

I started research and planning today (and got the Tunze’s in today too. Airstone comes tomorrow.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on taking the first filter sock compartment of my 120g AIO and using a piece of plastic mesh (you know the stuff)and putting it in there vertically at an angle. It will be lit by 1 or 2 Tunze Eco Chic Refugium lights I’m currently using on my Chaeto…which does fine in HOB Refugium but dies in The kicker is I’m going to use a round airstone at the bottom. The bubbles will have to go through 2 more chambers, including my skimmer, to get to the return so no worries on bubbles in the DT. This will effectively create the Santa Monica Scrubber design in-tank. Approximately 2 of the 1.4x models

From what I have read, there has to be air mixed in to break some sort of natural barrier around the algae or media to allow uptake of nutrients. I realize that isn’t super science-y sounding. This is why just setting a well light screen in your tank won’t be anywhere as efficient as a cascading or waterfall style.

I started research and planning today (and got the Tunze’s in today too. Airstone comes tomorrow.
Nice idea. I have a Tunze eco-chic in the middle chamber of my 20gal AIO. It’s a surprisingly high quality and bright light. Pumps out a lot of light. I built a DIY version using a test-tube and LED strip light for my 4 gal AIO. The Tunze is noticeably brighter and light is better blended (pinky purple on the Tunze vs distinct red and blue lights on my DIY) Just using chaeto - it’s a bit cramped for mesh in the small chamber.

Performance has been okay but I feel like lack of movement and flow is a limiting factor. Thought about adding a micro pump but an air stone might be easier and would be awesome if it works. Hadn’t come across the upflow idea using air so I might give that a go. Thanks

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze are very bright. Brighter than I expected I have a Neptune Refugium light that’s hanging above the Chaeto but it wasn’t working so I’m trying the 2 Tunze (24w Neptune vs 14-18w Tunze) before I install this scrubber. I’m hopefull that lighting it from 2 sides and in close contact will get it going.

Look into the Santa Monica Scrubber. It’s a company that’s been featured on places like BRS.

It’s basically just a plastic box with some rough surfaces for algae to grow on. On the bottom is an airline and airstone. It requires that you use your own air pump and recommends you go big. The website also outlines why (they believe) rushing/high-air-contact water is essential for algae to grow.

The flaw, to me, is that the whole box would have to get unplugged to adequately clean.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze are very bright. Brighter than I expected I have a Neptune Refugium light that’s hanging above the Chaeto but it wasn’t working so I’m trying the 2 Tunze (24w Neptune vs 14-18w Tunze) before I install this scrubber. I’m hopefull that lighting it from 2 sides and in close contact will get it going.

Look into the Santa Monica Scrubber. It’s a company that’s been featured on places like BRS.

It’s basically just a plastic box with some rough surfaces for algae to grow on. On the bottom is an airline and airstone. It requires that you use your own air pump and recommends you go big. The website also outlines why (they believe) rushing/high-air-contact water is essential for algae to grow.

The flaw, to me, is that the whole box would have to get unplugged to adequately clean.
Thanks mate. I did look at their site. Very cool. My two tanks are small (4 and 20) and I’m trying to avoid to much HOB or external components so been looking to use the space I have. Skimmers are cool but they’re messy and for a really small tank the amount of water they pull out gets problematic (ATO is trying to compensate for evaporation but ends up dumping in too much fresh water because of skimmer) so unlike the Fuge idea. My last pico had good flow running through the Fuge so worked well but water movements pretty minimal in a typical AIO. I’m going to stick an air stone in the bottom of each Fuge chamber and see how that improves things. Really cool
Idea and a lot better than yet another piece of equipment going into a small tank (one dual
Outlet air pump can do two tanks). Be great to get the Fuge turning over better and stripping out more nitrates.

Back