DIY LED Lighting - Is this still a thing?

JArnold

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2016
Messages
44
Reaction score
18
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I have been slightly out of the community and hobby for a while... but back when LED's really got popular the DIY Fixture was a hot topic. I still have all of the parts and pieces that I started building my 2 fixtures with and I plan on still finishing. Thinking about it got me to asking the question - Is there anyone else still building their own lights? With the cost of a decent fixture being in the several hundred dollars each... I would imagine someone who likes tinkering with electronics would see this route advantageous.

My build consists of (2) 12" heatsinks (similar to the makers but thinner profile), LEDs (will post layout later) , rapidled LDD Driver boards, etc - all controlled by a bluefish controller.
 
Greetings!

I have been slightly out of the community and hobby for a while... but back when LED's really got popular the DIY Fixture was a hot topic. I still have all of the parts and pieces that I started building my 2 fixtures with and I plan on still finishing. Thinking about it got me to asking the question - Is there anyone else still building their own lights? With the cost of a decent fixture being in the several hundred dollars each... I would imagine someone who likes tinkering with electronics would see this route advantageous.

My build consists of (2) 12" heatsinks (similar to the makers but thinner profile), LEDs (will post layout later) , rapidled LDD Driver boards, etc - all controlled by a bluefish controller.
Well its like industry has caught up to the led pioneers.. :)
Anyways join this thread in the DIY forum.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/general-diy-led-thread.534238/page-39
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new