DIY MP40 Extension cable

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I try and mount an Ecotech pump driver, I always find that the 8' length of cord that goes between the dry-side and the driver, never seems to be enough length to insure that the driver will be far enough away to not be in danger of being splashed or subjected to saltwater degradation in some fashion.

So I in an effort to find a solution I made it my goal to find a way to extend my Ecotech MP40QD cable.

At first I attempted to contact Ecotech and see if they could help me. The response that I got was that they could lengthen the cable for me but that I would have to send the dry-side into them for service. I am very confident that what they were proposing would certainly work but the issue that I had with their plan was that, what they were providing was not an extension cable but that they would cut the cable of my new QD pump and splice in a length of cord. In other words, what they were doing was only good for 1 pump and if I had a pump failure, I would have pay for them to do it again. I didn't like that Idea at all. For one the cost for them to lengthen 1 cord was $50. By the time I had them lengthen 3 pumps (2 for immediate use and 1 for a backup) and pay to ship them both directions, I would have about $200 into it.

Back to the drawling board I go.....

My next idea was to scrounge through my box of junk and use the cords from old dry-side pumps and and make my own extension cable. The problem was that I apparently discarded or gave away my old MP40 dry-sides and could not find anyone that was willing part with any worn out or broken dry-sides that they had.

Back to the drawling board I go.....

My new modified my plan was to purchase some 10 conductor - 22 gauge shielded cable, 2 pair of Molex 10-pin connectors and a crimp tool and make my own cables. It took me a few tries to become proficient at getting the wire stripped back at the right length and making sure that the end was properly inserted in the tool. But once I did it a few times everything went well and I finished the cables without a problem.

My final product works perfect and I could not be happier. The cable that I made provides me an additional 5' of length which will allow me to house my driver in my equipment closet away from the possibility of any degradation caused by saltwater.

Thanks for looking,
Tom G
20171023_204239.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind showing how the extension cable connects to the MP40?

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I have always thought they were too short and had to make allowances
Yeah, I was always trying new ideas to keep them dry. On my frag tank that I just took down, I had a zip-lock bag draped over the driver. Looked like garbage but it gave me piece of mind.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the problem but I realized that I needed to move my controls up away from where I had them

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to order the cable and connections online or did you find them locally? I will do the same to one of my mp40's soon.

Carlos Bueno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Tom how are you?
Can you provide the sequence color that you used in each side of the cable? I need understand first in order to avoid mistakes and burn my pump.
For example green in the pin 1, orange pin 2, etc...
Regards,
Carlos

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Tom how are you?
Can you provide the sequence color that you used in each side of the cable? I need understand first in order to avoid mistakes and burn my pump.
For example green in the pin 1, orange pin 2, etc...
Regards,
Carlos
Carlos,

I did not use any particular color sequence. Unlike what you would do with a Ethernet cable, where you would color position each wire for a 568A or a 568B cable. Because this cable is only an extension, you would pin it out so that pin A goes to pin A, B to B, C to C ....... and so on and so forth. In other words, what goes in at female end pin 1 comes out at the male end pin 1.

Hope that helps,
Tom G

Carlos Bueno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Tom!!
Do you know if we have some distance limit for this cable?
My aquarium has 3 meters of display and I need one cable of 4 meters to arrive in my dry area...

OP
OP
tom39

tom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Tom!!
Do you know if we have some distance limit for this cable?
My aquarium has 3 meters of display and I need one cable of 4 meters to arrive in my dry area...
Carlos,

I don't really know if that short of a distance would be a factor even if you are wanting to run the pump at 100% where it would demand maximum amperage.
I would do it but that choice is entirely up to you. It's really not much of an answer but it's the best I can offer.

HIH,
Tom G

Carlos Bueno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with you.. I´ll go test...
If you have pictures or videos in how open the pump control, connect the new cable, etc I appreciate..

Regards,

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP, Is some one selling these? Need 1 or 2 ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back