DIY Radeon clone?

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which array are you going with and how many?
So if I used the round one and used 2 of them in fixture what else would I need and how do you wire them so each channel one both chips work together

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok im lost was on topledlight.com they have arrays what is the best one there what color combo works the best im lost do need green what uv how about reds witch blue do you want more of blue or royal blue then there cyan my brain is going to explode never good at making decisions help please would like to keep corals maybe some hard corals down the road

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone help me was on topledlight.com and they have so many different arrays I don't know what colors that are needed would like to keep some hard corals down the road im lost do you need reds, greens what uv is needed what blues regular blue royal blue cyan how much white what color white they have so many to pick from different channels what colors do you want together on channel think my brain is going to explode

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I used the round one and used 2 of them in fixture what else would I need and how do you wire them so each channel one both chips work together
When you wire them, you want them in series so the negative on one array connects to the positive on the next array. So Ch1 + on driver board>> + Ch1 on array A, - Ch1 on array A >>+ Ch1 on array B, - Ch1 on array B>> - Ch1 on driver board.

You'll need 5 drivers.
Channel 1: 500ma
Channel 2: 1500ma
Channel 3: 1000ma
Channel 4: 500ma
Channel 5: 500ma

If you want to add any supplementation with single leds you'll need more drivers. I would get the driver board from StevesLED and I've been using the mean well LRS 350w 48v power supply.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my arrays today, pretty impressed by build quality.
4267549128166742781%253Faccount_id%253D0
So how did they work did you have to add any other LED to them how do they compare to name brand

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how did they work did you have to add any other LED to them how do they compare to name brand
still working on build. didn't expect to get them so quick from china. got last parts on order. but prolly till new year till I can give a honest opinion. current plan is the 2 pucs a Luxeon k16 between them (basically a single led chip with 16 3watt royal blue chips) and a couple mints added as well. so 7 channels. could of added the mints on the whites and saved a driver, but decided the flexibility to have that be individually tunable would be a good idea.

Warneto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a parts list similar to kampo. Struggling whether I should go with a reef pi for a controller or a reef x controller probably start with both. Until I figure out the reef pi. Heat sinks and build will be similar to paphater.. Chips from kampo suggestions with his complementary chips mint and rb. Struggling to design a case to put them in. They will go on a 150. 4 chips to start. Has to be better than a 150 (60x24x24) with Chinese led and t5. Any suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a 60in your prolling looking at 4-5 pucks, maybe just do six you should be able to do 3 pucs with 5 ldds as long as you have a PSU that can run at 56V. thinking 2-4 RB (I like sunplus Royal blues from steves led, best rb for money right now I tihnk), and 2 mint (steves as well) per puc. I'm running mine in 7 channels, 2 RB channels, 395 420 480 white-mix and mint might have them on the same control channel though, not sure. will play with it.

Warneto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That helps, I was planning on running this Meanwell driver set for the pucks..
Channel 1: 500ma
Channel 2: 1500ma
Channel 3: 1000ma
Channel 4: 500ma
Channel 5: 500ma

With this Meanwell PS SE-350-48

That’s where I was starting with 4 pucks for now, but if I need 6 then I would need to reconfigure.. Maybe get another PS and more drivers? Any ideas? Could always add drivers later using the second PS for ATS and sump.. definitely going to need to use a storm x controller.. anyone use the hurricane x from Steve led? should be the same?

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts warneto1

On all but the white channel you will easily be able to run one ldd for 3 channels. The last one would be about 52v off memory not looking at a data sheet. Which means you need 55v of supply. I think the meanwell you selected will go that high via the adjustment nob. Check the data sheet on that though.

Now onto size of psu I think with 6 pucs your right 350 is noarderlinbo. I came up with 320 watts with that maxed out without any additional LEDs added.

One thing you could do to mitigate this is to change you rb chsnnel to 1200 (1.5 is really too much for that chip in tight quarters imo) and blue channel to 700, that's a lot of cool blue and it's not needed at full power in my opinion. That sabes about 46watts and if you ever change your mind you can always swap out a ldd for 5 bucks.

You can then add a channel of 12 mints at 700 if you wanted and you should have a array pulling right around 300 watts. You could add 2 royal blues luxeons to each group of 3 pucs they only add 2.9v per led running at 1200. That would add about 12 more watts.

Control wise with the amount of money your spending if to you are not going to do a diy reefpi go with a bluefish mini way more friendly to use and only about 30 dollars more. And if you're going with a makersled style heatsink you could litterally enclose everything in the heatsink making wiring much less of a headache. That said look into reefpi only 3 parts and some jumpers needed for a light controller (pi zero w, pca9685 board and a micro SD card) and that too could be mounted in the heatsink enclosure easily.

Last edited:

Warneto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.. thanks for the input kampo..

I will do more rd, work gets in the way... I will check into the pi zero or reef pi option again. First I need to order pucs and finalize the plan.. been awhile since I put my last Steve led unit together, but that was a kit..

One option would be to reuse some Chinese black box led cases for the pucs.

What are people using for encasing these units?

U

User1

View Badges
Just received another four 20k Blue Pro w/Violet Blue Acro emitter pucks. I already have four of them over my 210 gallon tank which is 54" W x 30" T and 30" D. Using the lenses I have good coverage top to bottom but I needed some more to fill in the sides. My rock work is tall on the sides and I wasn't getting enough coverage on the outer edges. These give more of the color I wanted in conjunction with a pair of Rapid LED Borealis Luxeon Z arrays that I also use. Those have 12 lime' per array so I'll move those more to the center and space evenly while using the Acro Stars on 48" heat sink once I find one.

I'm also going to change up the driver and power situation I have and clean up wiring. Once I get closer to holiday break I'll order the necessary wires and probably four of his IQ drivers get them set up properly.

20k Blue Pro With Violet
Full spectrum LED arrangement in 4 channels:

• Channel 1: 4x Royal Blue (450nm), 1x Warm White (2700k, 80+CRI); 1A max current, 15V required
  • Channel 2: 2x Royal Blue (450nm), 1x 425nm Violet (Luxeon UV), 1x 415nm Violet (Luxeon UV); 1A max current, 12V required
  • Channel 3: 1x Lime, 1x Warm White (2700k, 80+CRI), 1x Royal Blue, 1x Neutral White (4000k, 80+CRI); 700mA max current, 12V required
  • Channel 4: 1x Blue (485nm), 1x Royal Blue (450nm), 1x Cyan (500nm); 1A max current, 9V required
The 2 Borealis array from Rapid I use are:
  • Channel 1 (1000mA max) - 5 Neutral White
  • Channel 2 (1000mA max) - 6 Royal Blue + 5 Blue
  • Channel 3 (700mA max) - 12 Lime
  • Channel 4 (700mA max) - 5 Violet UV + 4 Deep Red (660nm)
20181128_154330.jpg

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do really like those pucs, have 3 of the half mega pros on various tanks. I just wish they were a bit more split up for channels so you could really adjust spectrum.

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah - I am actually using the Apex to control them. The one frustrating piece believe it or not since I needed a converter to dim. If I just moved them over to my reef angel I wouldn't need that. Anyway once I get everything set up I'll probably rent one of BRS's par meters and see what the light is actually doing at various points in the tank. @theatrus has provided the numbers with and without the reflectors but I have no idea how my rock work and tank depth matches up. I'm happy and it is cost effective. I'm just ignorant of how much light or intensity they actually put out - maybe that isn't a bad thing I guess.

Nanoreefwannabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are really cool pcb...I am using something similar in the lumina pcb's, also five channel and put out a crazy amount of light, mote comparable to a kessil though as they are arranged on a round 5cm pcb... but love that I can get these considerably cheaper

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are really cool pcb...I am using something similar in the lumina pcb's, also five channel and put out a crazy amount of light, mote comparable to a kessil though as they are arranged on a round 5cm pcb... but love that I can get these considerably cheaper
there are a few clones of the lumia boards as well. I liked these better because it seemed like it would be easier to cool since the leds are more spread apart.

still waiting on a shipment from steves, but hopefully sunday I'll have my light assembled.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back