DIY Sit-Stand Canopy

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gang!

Here is a short post on my DIY Canopy that I mounted to a Sit-Stand Desk from Amazon. This is not really a step-by-step, it's more like a working concept for any who have been considering something like this. In this project, I was able to fit (3) Kessil A360x's and (8) 60" T5's over a standard 180 gallon (6'x2'x2'). I'll include some links for the things I bought as we go.

Here's a video of the working product:

Let's get into it!

Frame and Stand:
Fromann Sit Stand Kit: https://a.co/d/c1Jrr1n
Universal Shelf Bracket (B-Line B844W): https://www.hcisupplystore.com/3837...ut-fittings-6159/corner-angles--6164/blnb844w

For the canopy frame, I used 1/2" paint grade maple for the sides and top sections. I used three top sections to accommodate my three Kessil A360x's, and to support my T5 kits. The backbone of the canopy is a single 2x8. I used glue for everything, and a couple pocket screws. For the bracket I used the B-Line 844W's for lack of space behind my tank, but you could use an 888W if you have room.

PXL_20220626_224737984.jpg

PXL_20220628_221618911.jpg

Electronics
LET Lighting retrofit kits x4: https://www.chewy.com/let-lighting-2x80w-miro-4-t5-high/dp/263854
"Dumb" power strip, 15' cord: https://a.co/d/ffmXq5N
"Smart" power strip: https://a.co/d/3ftFnqj

My goal here was to have a single power power cord to power the unit, with everything else concealed. The first picture below is the back of the unit. The black power strip has a 15' cord and is always on. I have my Kessils plugged into that since they're wirelessly controlled anyway. Then each of the (4) T5 kits are plugged into the Kasa smart strip, allowing me to set schedules for each pair of T5's. The ballasts are mounted outside, with the fixture wires running through small holes into the canopy.

PXL_20220712_221837619.jpg

PXL_20220712_221734547.jpg

PXL_20220712_221726522.jpg

Close up of the brackets. I through-bolted them to the desk kit. Do not drill into the black area on the kit - that's where the actuator is :) I had to use a flat strut coupling and get a little creative here. Something equivalent could be constructed with plywood here I'm sure, but I wanted to use a metal component to minimize flexing. These two brackets are the only point of contact for the canopy.

I also stapled in screen between the top sections to allow some airflow, while keeping the light bleed down. The "light blocking" screen from your local home improvement store is fine.

PXL_20220712_221752195.jpg

And one picture of the layout underneath. I did cut notches around the middle reflectors to allow the LED's to shine in better. One last minute add was the funnel in the far corner in the picture below. It allows me to dump in food without raising the canopy everyday. It pops out for easy cleaning.

PXL_20221226_181234171.jpg

There are three customizable presets on this kit. For me: 1 is full down, 2 is about 18" above the glass for feeding, and 3 is as high as my ceiling allows. Also for what it's worth, I am running (5) ATI Blue Plus, (2) ATI True Actinic and (1) GE 10k white.

A quick note about supporting this whole thing: Since I had no room for the massive feet from the sit-stand kit, I wanted to keep most of the weight centered straight above the legs. The top of the leg rests against the tank (separated by a silicone pad) but the side force into the tank is minimal. I was worried about this during construction since the whole fixture wants to tip "into" the tank, but since the 1/2 plywood and T5 lamps are so light, it only amounts to a couple pounds of lateral force. No issue there at all.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. It's been about 6 months, and I love it! Any questions, feel free to ask.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hey Gang!

Here is a short post on my DIY Canopy that I mounted to a Sit-Stand Desk from Amazon. This is not really a step-by-step, it's more like a working concept for any who have been considering something like this. In this project, I was able to fit (3) Kessil A360x's and (8) 60" T5's over a standard 180 gallon (6'x2'x2'). I'll include some links for the things I bought as we go.

Here's a video of the working product:

Let's get into it!

Frame and Stand:
Fromann Sit Stand Kit: https://a.co/d/c1Jrr1n
Universal Shelf Bracket (B-Line B844W): https://www.hcisupplystore.com/3837...ut-fittings-6159/corner-angles--6164/blnb844w

For the canopy frame, I used 1/2" paint grade maple for the sides and top sections. I used three top sections to accommodate my three Kessil A360x's, and to support my T5 kits. The backbone of the canopy is a single 2x8. I used glue for everything, and a couple pocket screws. For the bracket I used the B-Line 844W's for lack of space behind my tank, but you could use an 888W if you have room.

PXL_20220626_224737984.jpg

PXL_20220628_221618911.jpg

Electronics
LET Lighting retrofit kits x4: https://www.chewy.com/let-lighting-2x80w-miro-4-t5-high/dp/263854
"Dumb" power strip, 15' cord: https://a.co/d/ffmXq5N
"Smart" power strip: https://a.co/d/3ftFnqj

My goal here was to have a single power power cord to power the unit, with everything else concealed. The first picture below is the back of the unit. The black power strip has a 15' cord and is always on. I have my Kessils plugged into that since they're wirelessly controlled anyway. Then each of the (4) T5 kits are plugged into the Kasa smart strip, allowing me to set schedules for each pair of T5's. The ballasts are mounted outside, with the fixture wires running through small holes into the canopy.

PXL_20220712_221837619.jpg

PXL_20220712_221734547.jpg

PXL_20220712_221726522.jpg

Close up of the brackets. I through-bolted them to the desk kit. Do not drill into the black area on the kit - that's where the actuator is :) I had to use a flat strut coupling and get a little creative here. Something equivalent could be constructed with plywood here I'm sure, but I wanted to use a metal component to minimize flexing. These two brackets are the only point of contact for the canopy.

I also stapled in screen between the top sections to allow some airflow, while keeping the light bleed down. The "light blocking" screen from your local home improvement store is fine.

PXL_20220712_221752195.jpg

And one picture of the layout underneath. I did cut notches around the middle reflectors to allow the LED's to shine in better. One last minute add was the funnel in the far corner in the picture below. It allows me to dump in food without raising the canopy everyday. It pops out for easy cleaning.

PXL_20221226_181234171.jpg

There are three customizable presets on this kit. For me: 1 is full down, 2 is about 18" above the glass for feeding, and 3 is as high as my ceiling allows. Also for what it's worth, I am running (5) ATI Blue Plus, (2) ATI True Actinic and (1) GE 10k white.

A quick note about supporting this whole thing: Since I had no room for the massive feet from the sit-stand kit, I wanted to keep most of the weight centered straight above the legs. The top of the leg rests against the tank (separated by a silicone pad) but the side force into the tank is minimal. I was worried about this during construction since the whole fixture wants to tip "into" the tank, but since the 1/2 plywood and T5 lamps are so light, it only amounts to a couple pounds of lateral force. No issue there at all.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how this turned out. It's been about 6 months, and I love it! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Very creative man!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic idea!

Literally the Only thing there that makes me nervous is the pocket screws for mechanical fasteners. KREG screws are great for a lot of applications. Structural and weight supporting are not in that list. They aren't designed for it and I've had too many failures with them.

I may come behind and throw some 3" spax screws or something similar, just for the structural support down the line.

Love the ingenuity.

OP
OP
tmnails

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work!! Do you have any pics you f what you did behind the tank to support it?
My tank stand extends 5" past the footprint of my tank towards the wall. I just have the bottom of the kit resting on that surface, the same as my tank. But I know what you're saying, it's far more common for the tank stand the be the same size as the tank footprint.

You would just need two supportive pads, one for each leg. It could be held up by a shelf bracket screwed into the tank stand or the wall, or you could extend the legs down to the floor with dimensional lumber, i.e a 4x4.

The leg extension might be the easiest. Take a 4x4, notch the top and make a boot to receive the feet from the desk kit. If the kit slides into your extension at least a foot, there should be no buckling in the middle.

OP
OP
tmnails

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic idea!

Literally the Only thing there that makes me nervous is the pocket screws for mechanical fasteners. KREG screws are great for a lot of applications. Structural and weight supporting are not in that list. They aren't designed for it and I've had too many failures with them.

I may come behind and throw some 3" spax screws or something similar, just for the structural support down the line.

Love the ingenuity.
Thanks!

I only used pocket screws to hold joints together for wood glue. I don't have anything held by pocket screw alone, that would make me nervous too.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME, and very timely. I have been considering doing something very similar. Struggling a bit with framing and where to put ballasts, etc. Your build has given me some really good ideas.

How do you like the desk component? The motor seemed pretty quiet in the video and looks like it could be programmed for certain heights.

Well done.

OP
OP
tmnails

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME, and very timely. I have been considering doing something very similar. Struggling a bit with framing and where to put ballasts, etc. Your build has given me some really good ideas.

How do you like the desk component? The motor seemed pretty quiet in the video and looks like it could be programmed for certain heights.

Well done.
I love it. For the ballasts, the back side of the 2x8 was plenty of space. The idea of getting the ballasts and plug strips outside of the heat and humidity was important to me. You definitely increase their lifespan keeping them cooler and drier. I'm a service electrician by trade, I'm sick of replacing ballasts lol.

This kit is a slam dunk for me. My main concerns were deflections in the legs due to an uneven load, noise, maximum raising distance, and paint/anodized finish quality due to the corrosive environment.

I'm happy to say, the 3-piece legs telescope evenly, and since the metal is thick enough in gauge, there's very little deflections even at max height. It's a very dull hum as it operates. The max operating distance is beyond what my ceiling will even allow, and the finish is really nice in my opinion.

OP
OP
tmnails

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the low-fi solution for my support. It's not normally visible, so I didn't make it pretty. Literally stacked plywood scraps to gain a bit of height, and a 2x4 scrap so the leg doesn't swing into the wall. Nothing bolted, nothing screwed. It's been working great so I haven't messed with it. You can also see towards the top, I have a small silicone pad between the glass and the leg. Again, the lateral force there is very low. Most of the weight (ballasts, plug strips, leg actuators) are straight above the legs.

I know it's uncommon for the tank stank to extend into the wall like this though.
PXL_20230102_185348340.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does that weigh? I modified a mass produced Canopy so it no longer has a top on it, too let the heat out. Even at my height I can’t see into the top. Made it as light as I possibly could, but it is still a two person job to take it off.

OP
OP
tmnails

tmnails

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does that weigh? I modified a mass produced Canopy so it no longer has a top on it, too let the heat out. Even at my height I can’t see into the top. Made it as light as I possibly could, but it is still a two person job to take it off.
The 1/2" plywood frame is very light, under 10 lbs of wood i'd say, although I have no way of measuring at this point.

If you secure things well enough, the sit stand kit could hold much more.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back