DIY Stand help

Genicanthus-R-Us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E92E9AFF-416F-49EE-B2DF-EB16964BB2F5.png

I’m needing to build a stand for a 50 gallon lowboy I plan to setup and I am really fond of this design by reefbuilders in their studio. I believe the corner supports are 4x4s with a simple 2x6 top base with a few 2x4 corner braces in the corners. Would any of you try to build this? I haven’t seen many stands built in this way (typically have seen the 2x4 “super braced” stands and plywood stands) and would just like some advice before I go for it.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an easy build, but I would use multiple 2x4's glued together rather than one solid 4x4 or 6x6. Large size lumber like that is prone to warping, twisting, and splitting as it dries. A couple 2x4's that have been jointed/planed so that they are actually square will serve you much better.

Where are you located? I'm sure there are some woodworkers in your area that could easily true up the lumber for you if you don't have the tools yourself.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Billdogg .....never ever use 4x4 (or 6x6) lumber. Quality isn't there, as mentioned.

I'd highly recommend a @RocketEngineer stand that has been used by thousands....a proven stand. Here's the basic design, using dimensional lumber. I would recommend topping with 5/8 - 3/4 ply to "level out" the top, and skin with whatever floats your boat.

Stand.JPG

A 50 Low Boy could be built with all 2x4's with NO center brace....and still be overbuilt!

OP
OP
Genicanthus-R-Us

Genicanthus-R-Us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an easy build, but I would use multiple 2x4's glued together rather than one solid 4x4 or 6x6. Large size lumber like that is prone to warping, twisting, and splitting as it dries. A couple 2x4's that have been jointed/planed so that they are actually square will serve you much better.

Where are you located? I'm sure there are some woodworkers in your area that could easily true up the lumber for you if you don't have the tools yourself.
I am pretty handy and I have good enough tools for basic stuff like 2x4s, just not good plywood working tools. I actually believe I can see a seam in between his center support so that was a very good tip thank you!

OP
OP
Genicanthus-R-Us

Genicanthus-R-Us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Billdogg .....never ever use 4x4 (or 6x6) lumber. Quality isn't there, as mentioned.

I'd highly recommend a @RocketEngineer stand that has been used by thousands....a proven stand. Here's the basic design, using dimensional lumber. I would recommend topping with 5/8 - 3/4 ply to "level out" the top, and skin with whatever floats your boat.

Stand.JPG

A 50 Low Boy could be built with all 2x4's with NO center brace....and still be overbuilt!
I like that design and I have used it multiple times in the past, but for this purpose I feel like a pedestal style would look nicest where I want it. Do you think I should use 2x6 as a top brace or will 2x4s suffice for this purpose?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certain using previously posted plans for stand building will do the job, but I like to know what I'm going to end up with.

You can start with looking at things such as this calculator

Look for a zero deflection for your top/horizontal span

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48X24x36 is not 50g. That’s more like 180. Need the tank size to work out lumber size.

My biggest concern with Reef Builders design is that everything keeping the leg in place is up near the top. That means anything hitting the bottom of the leg has the full length of that leg to use as a lever arm. A hard enough knock in the wrong direction is likely to take the leg right out from under the tank. Also, from the picture it looks like they rely on the shear strength of the fasteners to hold the side rails onto the legs which is another potential weak point. I get the design but would never use it myself. Your mileage may vary.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with RocketEngineer. I would never trust a stand with free standing legs. Add a bottom box/band and use 2x6 for the top box to omit any center posts/legs.
The only way I would trust free-standing legs is when they're bolted in position to the floor. But then they really aren't free-standing at that point, are they!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built that same design for my 90 gallon. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how. It was easy and very sturdy

OP
OP
Genicanthus-R-Us

Genicanthus-R-Us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48X24x36 is not 50g. That’s more like 180. Need the tank size to work out lumber size.

My biggest concern with Reef Builders design is that everything keeping the leg in place is up near the top. That means anything hitting the bottom of the leg has the full length of that leg to use as a lever arm. A hard enough knock in the wrong direction is likely to take the leg right out from under the tank. Also, from the picture it looks like they rely on the shear strength of the fasteners to hold the side rails onto the legs which is another potential weak point. I get the design but would never use it myself. Your mileage may vary.
Those are stand dimensions, tank is 4’x2’x10”

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yea anything 6" dimensional lumber would be overkill. 2x4's are more than enough. if you build it with 2x4 uprights and wrap it in plywood even if its just the back and sides, you wont have any issues.

I generally see stands that are completely overbuilt and this can take away from needed real estate under the tank as well.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wouldn’t trust any free standing legs, accident looking for a place to happen IMO. I am guessing that there is also some inner 2x4 joists supported by shoulders (don’t just screw them into your outer ring) to support the tank.

OP
OP
Genicanthus-R-Us

Genicanthus-R-Us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’d really hate to come home to 50 gallons of saltwater and a shattered glass tank on the floor. I really liked that design but I’ve read enough to decide against it, back to the tried and true design. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back