DIY stand modification help

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smokes this forum has changed a lot since I was last active here! Good things, though.

Anyways, I've this 60 or 80 (I can't recall) gallon cube tank and DIY stand for a few years now. I'm currently in the slow process of getting things together for it. I bought the tank and stand from a local guy I know longer remember. He custom built the stand, and frankly, it's incredibly sturdy. However, upon getting things together, I think I've ran into an issue. I'm in need of trying to modify the stand for refugium/sump access. The front is 14" wide at the opening. Not many sumps will fit that from my quick research.

I was going to make an access door on the side but I'm not sure I can. The back is a no go because it needs to be accessible. Front or side mods only. If I can managed the side, I'd like to make a door.

The best I can do is post a couple of photos, and if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance!

1605428773194.png

1605428786103.png

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Costom made sump to fit at the risk of saying the obvious or 2x i4in Custom sumps and bridge them. One for the refugeum and one for the skimmer?
I have made pics of the concept

Bridge.jpg

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide do you need the opening? What is the back “leg” of the stand? Can you show how the top interior is built? Solid top?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may very well be the most over-built stand I've ever seen! (at least with the exception of the particle board back!!!)

It will be difficult to make a nice looking opening in the side. Personally, I'd make a new stand. You have enough lumber there to make 2, so if you are careful taking it apart, you might not even have to buy any lumber.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove that 2x4 supporting the shelf (if the shelf is only for storage like chemicals and test kits) because it's overkill and cut your access for from the side. Then put a 1x4 in the 2x4's place but make it shorter in length so it doesn't interfere when opening the access door. It doesn't have to touch the legs of your stand. To me that pics is not structural especially since you have the corner braces and all the side are sheeted.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Costom made sump to fit at the risk of saying the obvious or 2x i4in Custom sumps and bridge them. One for the refugeum and one for the skimmer?
I have made pics of the concept

Bridge.jpg

I thought about custom but that's beyond my technical skill and I'm afraid of what the cost would be. But I love the idea of bridging them. That COULD work...

That may very well be the most over-built stand I've ever seen! (at least with the exception of the particle board back!!!)

It will be difficult to make a nice looking opening in the side. Personally, I'd make a new stand. You have enough lumber there to make 2, so if you are careful taking it apart, you might not even have to buy any lumber.

lol Like I said, sturdy! The particle board in the back apparently served as a place to put hooks for hoses or whatever. But there's a gap between that and the boards, then there's the outer boards. Back interior is really only an eyesore.

I would just get a new stand that is way too much work

lol I have thought about that as well! But trying to save on expenses.

I'd remove that 2x4 supporting the shelf (if the shelf is only for storage like chemicals and test kits) because it's overkill and cut your access for from the side. Then put a 1x4 in the 2x4's place but make it shorter in length so it doesn't interfere when opening the access door. It doesn't have to touch the legs of your stand. To me that pics is not structural especially since you have the corner braces and all the side are sheeted.

I do believe the 2x4 only supports the shelving. It definitely will be a pain to remove on both sides. In terms of sturdiness, it's not moving. Each corner is 3 boards deep of construction. When I say it doesn't move, it doesn't move. It's heavier than the tank itself.

OP
OP
MrDJeep123

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide do you need the opening? What is the back “leg” of the stand? Can you show how the top interior is built? Solid top?

I can, I'll just need to remove the tank again. lol I can do that later. To anwser your question, though, it's open top with a board that runs across the middle.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a full inspection... I would wager you could cut almost whatever you wanted. The shelf and 45 brace are definitely removable, and the full 18" on the side could be opened up. Sort of depends on what tools you have and what sort of finished product you're looking for. Going to build a door? And agree with others, the OSB needs to be taken out if you're going to have a sump. It won't like being in high humidity with water splashed on it long term.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back