DIY Stand wrapped in Vinyl

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to start my journey into reef tanks earlier this year. After many many days of research, I decided to purchase a SCA 100 gallon rimless tank. After researching the stands, I watched lots of youtube videos and read other's threads on building a stand.

I started my stand build and when I bought it to my apartment, my wife was not thrilled with the look after she saw the red sea stand and tank. I was on a mission to make a good looking stand where its going to look good enough to keep in the living room / Entrance. Not having much experience I tried my best but it was not good enough.

I too was unhappy with the finish on the wood. I then sanded the stand and decided to stain it one last time. Still we were not happy with the end result so I decided to WRAP the stand in vinyl. Being that my furniture if ebony, I wanted to get Ebony wrap to match furniture. Almost like wrapping a car, I started and was please with the results I was seeing. I don't know how long the wrap will last but if I can get 2-3 years it is plenty of time as I will upgrade to a larger tank by then.

I was told by someone at a site who I will not mention to use 3m adhesive 90 which is a glue. DO NOT use it!!! it made a mess and took me over 3 hours to clean the glue off. So for anyone looking for a solution to ugly stand, I purchased 15 feet by 4 feet, this will be more than enough to cover a stand 48" by 38". I have 1 side left to do before it is all completed.

Vvivid Wrap:
IMG_3388.JPG
IMG_3389.JPG
IMG_3389.JPG

This is the door Before I wrapped it:
IMG_3379.JPG

After Wrapping door:

IMG_3381.JPG
IMG_3382.JPG

Left side door wrapped, Right side original:

IMG_3385.JPG
IMG_3386.JPG
IMG_3387.JPG

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even tell it is a vinyl. Look like original for my eyes.
Good finishing.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up using to adhere it to the wood?
the Vinyl comes with glue on it. I had to fix a piece and i had kinda hard time pealing it. hey I can't complain, so far it looks nice. I will see how it holds up after time.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the wrap go all the way around to cover the edges? If so I'm curious how challenging the corners were...
I had no issues wrapping the edges but when I did the first door I did not like the finish with the wrapped edge on the doors so I cut it off where only the face of the cabinet is wrapped. Also keep in mind you need really smooth surface. The cabinet itself I just cut one side for example I wrapped the wrong top then I cut off the left over pieces. Then I did the side and did the same thing. When you look at it, you can’t see any gaps.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Door were probably the hardest to do. I had to get my wife to hold the hair dryer so I can smooth out the wrap. I spent about 35-40 mine on each door.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great DIY project tho! My panels are all plastic laminate - Formica. So far so good...
DId you get the Formica online? I was also thinking to do them with laminate but this was easier I hope. I just worry about corners peaking over time. If it doesn’t not last I will look into the laminates

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cabinet shop make them to match the kitchen cabinets they did. Formica is easy to DIY tho. Online you can get sample chips sent to you, but probably best to go to a store - the choices are just endless.

Rich Kapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. I am thinking about vinyl wrapping my stand too and looking at yours gives me good ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my whole setup due to work/life but I would probably not use wraps again. The corners started to peel in a few placed.. If I were to do it again, I would probably use laminated sheets to wrap it. but for the most part it worked out great and looked great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back