DIY stand

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red, where do you live?? I've moved since I last updated my info. I live in Sewell now

I'm in Sayreville.....I'd guess about an hour an a half away from you.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct. Dimensional lumber is always 1/2 inch smaller than what it's called.....it was removed when they "finished" the lumber. So a 2 x 4 actually measures 1 1/2 by 3 1/2. Adjust your measurements accordingly. As far as your height, I'm assuming this is a 40B???? I always make my stands higher.....but note, I am 6 foot tall. Most my stands are 40 inches tall. The lower stands are great if you're sitting, but if you're standing, they are low.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4s milled are actually 1.5" x 3.5". these will be what you will purchase so you need to adjust your measurements accordingly, and red beat me to it lol

John Holbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Thanks for the heads up guys!! I completely forgot about the plywood for inside the stand as well! Glad I said something even tho we all know multiple trips to the hardware store is always imminent [emoji23][emoji23]
3f4877c817922e9d41790fa9feb47898.jpg
this is a little less the 2 sheets to skin, it also has open sides and back. This is a 265g tank

Steve McGlamery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my stand. I used pocket screws and I put silicone in the open screw holes. Make sure you leave room to get the sump out in the future in case something happens.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went out to Lowes today. Got a bunch of 2x4's cut up.. everything is pretty good to be honest. I started building it but now I'm seeing that I need to make this stand deeper. I didn't take into acct how much room the pillars would take up inside the stand. My plan was to put a 34x15x15 sump in there but now with the bulky pillars I only have 13.75" to work with and I don't like that.. this is as far as I got plus 2 more pillars
be5a41249aab872e6bc5308805af11d2.jpg

From where the first pillar is set up, everything to the right of that is gonna be for the tank. The other little section on the left side is going to be a separate cabinet for my controller and other electronics i don't want near water

John Holbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went out to Lowes today. Got a bunch of 2x4's cut up.. everything is pretty good to be honest. I started building it but now I'm seeing that I need to make this stand deeper. I didn't take into acct how much room the pillars would take up inside the stand. My plan was to put a 34x15x15 sump in there but now with the bulky pillars I only have 13.75" to work with and I don't like that.. this is as far as I got plus 2 more pillars
be5a41249aab872e6bc5308805af11d2.jpg

From where the first pillar is set up, everything to the right of that is gonna be for the tank. The other little section on the left side is going to be a separate cabinet for my controller and other electronics i don't want near water
That's an easy fix, just make you pieces that are on the floor longer. I don't know if you thought about that, but it's coming along

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm calling a time out! :D:eek:

You might wish to reassess your ability to build your own....between your skill level and now seeing that you live in a condo/apartment. I own a house and do all my plywood cutting outside...will you be able to do that. If you do decide to go forward, you mentioned you had a circular saw. I would make the cuts yourself using a speed square on dimensional lumber and a straight edge that clamped to the plywood to cut the plywood.

The speed square can be had at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks:
63140_zzz_500.jpg

HF doesn't have the long cutting guide, but HD has one for about $20:
a993659d-6b4a-458c-9b51-f4401bd86575_1000.jpg

and HERE's the link to that cutting guide.

Both of these tools will make sure your circular saw cuts are straight.

Remember, measure twice and cut once! :)

Saw horses would also make the job a bit easier.

And one final note....I see you live in NJ. If you wish to bring your wood over, I'd cut it for you....although I believe Blackwood is pretty far down south.....so far down south, I don't know were it is. Do you guys speak with an accent? :D
Good advice.

All y'all speak w/ an accent! LOL!

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #2 said to use deck screws. I am no expert but I believe the shear strength of a deck screw compared to a standard wood screw is different. Unless you have notched your main supports, I would never use a 'deck' screw to carry loads of weight.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm gonna attempt to build my own stand but I've never done this before. Off the top of your head, what items should I be picking up? I have some tools at my house(drill, jigsaw, circular saw, screwdrivers, level, etc etc) but as far as glue, hardware and wood/finishes go, I'm unsure. Like I said, first time doing this so bare with me lol

Here is the one I recently built. I used birch 3/4" plywood and no 2x4's.
IMG_0369 (1).JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG

Steve McGlamery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post #2 said to use deck screws. I am no expert but I believe the shear strength of a deck screw compared to a standard wood screw is different. Unless you have notched your main supports, I would never use a 'deck' screw to carry loads of weight.
I used lag bolts on the main structure and long woo screws on the rest of the frame.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm noticing now that 2 of my larger 2x4s going vertical are slightly twisted so the top won't fit smoothly. Is it wise to replace these boards or will it be okay once everything is screwed in together??

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back