DIY Sump Thread

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we have 4 mm and 5mm available or 8 mm.
This translates (roughly) to 1/6", 1/5" and 1/3".

With 1/6" being the most common. You reckon this could be sufficient? (Planning the baffles to be full height with cut-outs for required water level.
8mm would be best. I built in a drain in mine,
IMG_3237.JPG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple notes about acrylic baffles-
In general, I wouldn't advise using acrylic for baffles. Acrylic expands in water and I've seen several reports of sumps breaking when acrylic baffle have put too much pressure on the outer walls. If you do use acrylic, be sure to cut them about ⅛" narrower than you need so they have room to expand.

We are talking about dancing with the aliens and you say acrylic doesn't bond to well to glass?
Acrylic expands up to, max 2%,. So your theory of 1/8 th is not precise coz it would vary with different size. There are a lot of factors for any pressure vessel to fail. Alot of variables too.. It's complex.. And even if you use regular silicone that you use on glass tanks.. And it doesn't bond well and have internal leakage, does it really matter for a sump?
I build glass tanks professionally and also do Alot of acrylic fabrication..

I have built many hybrid sumps, they all are working well..i have a thread for glass tank build.. Maybe I'll write an article how to build one of those.
Pardon my English, it ain't my first language..

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all those wanna choose right thicknesses and learn how to do acrylic fabrication. There is a thread here in diy titled. Acrylic fabrication? I can help by floyd r Turbo. Check out for steps and detailed method.
I'd personally never use anything below 10 mm Aka 3/8th for any pressure application.

OP
OP
bendeng

bendeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bendeng
It's really difficult to attain finish like that.. Working with acrylics is easy... Caulking this type of sump is another ball game..
We tried to make a sump out of glass. Cutting, silicone, everything, wow it was too much and too fragile. Yours is very clean and impressive![emoji122][emoji122]

john1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, love it! I'm almost done with mine and will test for leaks this weekend. Also, very nice ride in the back [emoji3]

Yeah it was a lot of work but very happy with it. Got it all dry fitted in the stand just have a couple of adjustments to make before I glue it up. Then on to rock sand and lights
7e9077430f2b3091f4200ed26ab53171.jpg

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could save yourself a ton of money and expand your water capacity even farther by using a simple rubbermaid container instead of acrylic. Never understood why people spend so much on something that has a much cheaper alternative.

sump.jpg

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could save yourself a ton of money and expand your water capacity even farther by using a simple rubbermaid container instead of acrylic. Never understood why people spend so much on something that has a much cheaper alternative

A well designed sump tweak correctly can outperform larger bins like you have posted. More over that some folks do have space constraints. Aesthetics and ease of complex fabrication cab be done with acrylics. Hence it is a popular choice these days..

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could save yourself a ton of money and expand your water capacity even farther by using a simple rubbermaid container instead of acrylic. Never understood why people spend so much on something that has a much cheaper alternative.

sump.jpg

First that would not fit under.....well any stand I have ever seen. Plus if you or any one else has to look or will ever look at the filtration it's much easier on the eyes. for me the diy factory is fun and very rewarding. if you have a basement or garage for you filtration and don't mind what it looks like then that would be perfect.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. They are painted. I did not want to see the baffles from the front :D

What did you tape off the outside or inside and paint? If inside any issues with the paint coming off?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back