OP
bendeng

bendeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40B sump that I built a few years ago. All glass (except the sock tray).

photo_zps088f2ba8.jpg

photo1_zps30cd2e03.jpg

photo1_zps3f3b6820.jpg

DSC02916_zpsf20567e8.jpg
This is so sleek and clean!!

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my own reactors. Here is one next to an mr1 monster and kalk reactor to compare size. Prob will be cutting it down a bit no need to be that tall.

23fa887fca68f13f6f8c4d78ad0796e8.jpg

f2409af41b65a0327ebcbd5f8af53df2.jpg

9ce6ac0760a08e22374130ca9369182d.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not acrylic but none the less not less than that...
IMG_20170416_142648.jpg

Nice! Where did you get the blue acrylic sock holder? I scrapped my sump build plan because I couldn't find one of these...and didn't have the equipment to cut that large of holes in either acrylic or glass!

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Where did you get the blue acrylic sock holder? I scrapped my sump build plan because I couldn't find one of these...and didn't have the equipment to cut that large of holes in either acrylic or glass!

I'm not from the USA.
I'm professional tank manufacturer.

But you can ask your local plastic shop to cut couple of plates for you, they can't do it in laser cnc or cnc router.. It doesn't matter how they do it, you need to provide them dimensions. The one with the bigger hole will have the outer diameter of upper lip so it sits flush in the bottom plate.. Hope it makes sense..

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about DIY sumps:

I can't find a 40b low enough in cost to make using one much more cost effective than just buying a premade.

So my question is this: What different types of materials can I use to build the sump tank and baffles? I've heard acrylic, I've heard ABS, etc. Aside from glass, what are my options?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys using weld on 3/4 for the sump builds? Over time how well are these premade sumps going to hold up and not leak?

Had anyone used 3/8 acrylic baffles in a glass sump? I have lots of time to let it bond. But I want to make sure baffles are not going to warp or break?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about DIY sumps:

I can't find a 40b low enough in cost to make using one much more cost effective than just buying a premade.

So my question is this: What different types of materials can I use to build the sump tank and baffles? I've heard acrylic, I've heard ABS, etc. Aside from glass, what are my options?
Watch for Petco's dollar a gallon sale, which comes up fairly often and you can get one for $40.

OP
OP
bendeng

bendeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys using weld on 3/4 for the sump builds? Over time how well are these premade sumps going to hold up and not leak?

Had anyone used 3/8 acrylic baffles in a glass sump? I have lots of time to let it bond. But I want to make sure baffles are not going to warp or break?
We used 3/8 acrylic baffles in a 55g glass sump, did not hold, the acrylic kept warping to pressure. In a smaller tank, it may be ok.

The acrylic bonds are strong if done properly. Idk about premade, but. I'm sure the experience and professionalism would leave the acrylic builds to be the strongest. Maybe worthwhile the extra costs for reliability and customer support should anything go wrong.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is not difficult to work with, if you have a few simple tools. All you need is a good glass cutter, a straight edge and some cut running pliers. Just takes a little practice. Kind of a lost art nowadays.

Glass Cutter.jpg

Cut Running Pliers.jpg

Of course, your local glass shop will be glad to cut some 1/4" plate for you. That's all you really need for baffles in a sump. Be sure to have them cut to fit inside of the sump with a little breathing room on each side. You don't want the glass to fit tightly inside the sump. The silicone will fill the space.

This is my 40B sump that I built a few years ago. I cut all the baffles and other details out of scrap glass I had from older projects that I took apart.

photo1_zpsce0e223c.jpg

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used 3/8 acrylic baffles in a 55g glass sump, did not hold, the acrylic kept warping to pressure. In a smaller tank, it may be ok.

The acrylic bonds are strong if done properly. Idk about premade, but. I'm sure the experience and professionalism would leave the acrylic builds to be the strongest. Maybe worthwhile the extra costs for reliability and customer support should anything go wrong.
Confused cause I read a lot of posts where people use acrylic baffles and it works well. I think it all depends on how much silicone and dry time is used to let the silicone bond. I would not think 3/8th would warp or bend being that's a pretty thick size.

OP
OP
bendeng

bendeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confused cause I read a lot of posts where people use acrylic baffles and it works well. I think it all depends on how much silicone and dry time is used to let the silicone bond. I would not think 3/8th would warp or bend being that's a pretty thick size.
I may be confused with the 1/8" [emoji23] it was thinner than the standard 1/4" which we ended up using and has worked great.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be confused with the 1/8" [emoji23] it was thinner than the standard 1/4" which we ended up using and has worked great.
oh yea well big difference between 1/8 and 3/8th.. you did not have any issues with 1/4th inch? how long did you have the baffles in the tank? just asking cause I want to make sure it will last and not have issues in like 1 year from the time they were installed.

OP
OP
bendeng

bendeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yea well big difference between 1/8 and 3/8th.. you did not have any issues with 1/4th inch? how long did you have the baffles in the tank? just asking cause I want to make sure it will last and not have issues in like 1 year from the time they were installed.
1/4" worked fine in the 55g sump, all still in tact and tank has been running for 4 years. We did break on baffle literally yesterday but we just upgraded our skimmer and cracked it trying to squeeze the skimmer in [emoji45] going to replace the baffle this weekend. Used regular aquarium safe silicone, nice even layer smothered over both sides of each seam.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the setup I build about 5 years ago for my custom 189 gallon build. Local acrylic shop is going out of business so I picked up some stuff for a great price!! Can't wait to get started.

I am very big into DO-IT-YOURSELF. I'd like to ask you; how are you cutting your acrylic?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very big into DO-IT-YOURSELF. I'd like to ask you; how are you cutting your acrylic?
MY Opinion after trying to cut Acrylic it was a PITA. I damaged my dremel cutting sock baffles out. Just get the baffles from a local glass store. I was just quoted 5 baffles $35 bucks cash.. All I have to do is glue it and all done. I wish I had done better research when I was thinking about cutting both glass and acrylic myself.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY Opinion after trying to cut Acrylic it was a PITA. I damaged my dremel cutting sock baffles out. Just get the baffles from a local glass store. I was just quoted 5 baffles $35 bucks cash.. All I have to do is glue it and all done. I wish I had done better research when I was thinking about cutting both glass and acrylic myself.

The sump I put together, I did for under $200. The tank was $115, the glass baffles (5 pieces) were $50 and the two tubes of aquarium grade silicone were $20.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back