DIY Sump Thread

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about DIY sumps:

I can't find a 40b low enough in cost to make using one much more cost effective than just buying a premade.

So my question is this: What different types of materials can I use to build the sump tank and baffles? I've heard acrylic, I've heard ABS, etc. Aside from glass, what are my options?

If you want to include your time as part of the cost, then I suppose it would be cheaper to buy instead of building. But I don't see a cheaper way than buying a glass tank and installing your own baffles. I'm planning a 90 gallon build, so I used a 40 gallon long. But I suppose you could use a 20 gallon long to save money.

Landy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking sumps all!

I have been working on mine for a few months now. haven't made a build thread here or on RC, but figured I would show a few pictures. still have a bit of work to do, but its getting very close.
1.jpg
20170528_153141.jpg
20170528_200757.jpg
2.jpg

user129743_pic78040_1496716832.jpg

landy

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking sumps all!

I have been working on mine for a few months now. haven't made a build thread here or on RC, but figured I would show a few pictures. still have a bit of work to do, but its getting very close.
1.jpg
20170528_153141.jpg
20170528_200757.jpg
2.jpg

landy
Well done man. lucky you have access to all that equipment.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Nice work. I've never seen a sump that was solid in color. Any sump with color I've seen was always more of a tint which you can see through. Would love to see a video of this thing in action! What material are you working with?

Landy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done man. lucky you have access to all that equipment.

thank you.

Wow! Nice work. I've never seen a sump that was solid in color. Any sump with color I've seen was always more of a tint which you can see through. Would love to see a video of this thing in action! What material are you working with?

Thanks!

Glad you like it. The tank is constructed of 3/8" white type 1 PVC sheet. It is glued from the inside and welded on the outside.

All but two of the dividers ( ones in the first picture ) are removable for easy cleaning.

Was a lot of fun to CAD out and cut.

landy

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking sumps all!

1.jpg
20170528_153141.jpg
20170528_200757.jpg
2.jpg

landy

Is that a CNC Router Parts Pro machine? How do you like it? Also, what are you using for a hold down vacuum. They seem to be very well built for the price, and a like tinkering, so don't mind putting one together. Although, I think I may go with clearpath servos instead of stepper motors.

Landy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a CNC Router Parts Pro machine? How do you like it? Also, what are you using for a hold down vacuum. They seem to be very well built for the price, and a like tinkering, so don't mind putting one together. Although, I think I may go with clearpath servos instead of stepper motors.

Yes, CNCRP pro 4X4
I think its a great machine, I really don't have anything to compare with, as it is my first machine.
The vacuum system is something I put together with 2 car wash vacuum motors. works surprisingly well.
The steppers seem to work well, I pieced the electronics together using a Leadshine MX4660 & 680 oz NEMA 34 motors.

landy

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Nice. I have so many ideas of stuff I could build with one. I have a CO2 laser already. The two systems together would give me the ability to build almost anything.

Landy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Nice. I have so many ideas of stuff I could build with one. I have a CO2 laser already. The two systems together would give me the ability to build almost anything.
I just got my lathe up and running, next on the list would be an end mill, cnc or Bridgeport style...

there is always something more needed LOL.

what wattage laser do you have?
were are you located?
maybe we could do some collaboration if you needs some machined parts.

landy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you.

Thanks!

Glad you like it. The tank is constructed of 3/8" white type 1 PVC sheet. It is glued from the inside and welded on the outside.

All but two of the dividers ( ones in the first picture ) are removable for easy cleaning.

Was a lot of fun to CAD out and cut.

landy

Nice work, you mentioned welded seams, chemical or process welding, Sonic or similar ?

Landy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, you mentioned welded seams, chemical or process welding, Sonic or similar ?
Hot air welded. with 1/8 PVC welding rod. when I get home I can take a few pictures.

its a lot harder than it looks!

landon

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could save yourself a ton of money and expand your water capacity even farther by using a simple rubbermaid container instead of acrylic. Never understood why people spend so much on something that has a much cheaper alternative.

sump.jpg
it isnt about cost, but looks, i personally feel the rubbermaids are good temporary solutions, or where a sump will never be visible, but most of us like to "show off" the filtration as much as the tank.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great looking sumps all!

1.jpg
20170528_153141.jpg
20170528_200757.jpg
2.jpg

landy
Why Screws? i just noticed you put screws in the top panel?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it isnt about cost, but looks, i personally feel the rubbermaids are good temporary solutions, or where a sump will never be visible, but most of us like to "show off" the filtration as much as the tank.

Wow... nice job! I love the modular concept.

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair points. If you have the room I would suggest the rubbermaids though haha

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid tubs also take up a lot more room. The 40 breeder I have fits perfectly in my stand next to a 10 gallon ATO reservoir.

Excellent point!

I recently completed a sump build out of a 40 gallon long. It fits neatly under my stand and that is important to me.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Screws? i just noticed you put screws in the top panel?

My guess would be for cleaning purposes, super easy to just unscrew the top and wipe off any salt creep. He did mention something about some baffles being removable as well. Some awesome build's here I wish I had the cash for all these fancy manufacturing toys, sorry, machines :)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back