DIY Weir

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked a tank up yesterday off Craigslist that was a killer deal. It's going to be my first real build from scratch. My question here is; who has built a custom weir and what should I look out for? I understand I want black cast acrylic in a sheet. What are some places your bought from? I also understand I want to use a table say and cut my slots for size on overflow and with using a tablesaw I have room ro adjustment for that overflow. Also, I see I can build a wood template for the dimensions I want it to be and use a heat gun to mold around it. Any tips and suggestions would be awesome.

THANKS!

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built many of my own tanks (build threads). First realize that acrylic comes in sheets 4'×8' is normal. You can buy smaller cuts but your paying for a partial sheet and may be paying for cutting without realizing it. I'd find a local fab shop if possible as shipping large flat pieces is expensive etc. If you order from a shop many will cut whatever you want for a small fee, if this is offered and you haven't worked with acrylic consider just paying for a professional job. If you don't and want to do it yourself get some extra acrylic to practice cutting and finishing, if you don't you'll likely end up with some flaws from learning. Cutting plastic is just plain different than other materials, you need to be more conscious of the blade traveling and if the plastic takes on heat it will melt instead of cut. Use a small tooth blade like for plywood as a larger teeth can cause shattering. Never use a blade that travels in two directions like a jig saw as you will ruin the equipment and material.
Thats what I can think of off the top of my head but feel free to ask specifics.

Tono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A router makes the weir slots real easy to cut and provides a clean look. If no router, you can drill the bottom of the weir channel then make 2 small cuts with the table saw to meet the drilled hole.

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a router and jigsaw if needed. I do a lot of stained glass too as a hobby and was thinking of using my 1/4' glass grinding bit too as an idea.. I guess if you buy by the sheet you have tons of room to practice. Where does one compare prices for a custom built weir?

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked a tank up yesterday off Craigslist that was a killer deal. It's going to be my first real build from scratch. My question here is; who has built a custom weir and what should I look out for? I understand I want black cast acrylic in a sheet. What are some places your bought from? I also understand I want to use a table say and cut my slots for size on overflow and with using a tablesaw I have room ro adjustment for that overflow. Also, I see I can build a wood template for the dimensions I want it to be and use a heat gun to mold around it. Any tips and suggestions would be awesome.

THANKS!
Unless you have a way to mill the slots for the weir, I'd lean toward just buying one, they are cheap enough to justify the purchase... And I recently bought one from Exotic Marine.... They've got their stuff together. I bought the biggest one they sell and it was still only $250.00 delivered. The quality is exceptional, and for what a sheet of acrylic costs... I couldn't justify the time and headaches of building one myself. They've got some excellent videos on installation, that will convince you. IMHO... YMMV

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThePlummer I just checked the website out and it looks great. However, the tank I got was a steal and it's already bottom drilled. I know how I'm going to plumb it with a single hole drilled and how I'm going to do it will keep snails ect. out from clogging without a herbie style drain. But because of the situation, I believe I'd want a 24" W x 30" H overflow. Pretty much just to hide my drain pipe cleanly. If that's possible to buy (by at least that height dimension) that would be a great option. I just haven't been able to find that in my research.

It doesn't seem hard at all to cut acrylic to size, notch our the weir to GPH I want, and score the edges to heat and fold to a template I make. I've been a tradesmen my whole life. The question is..what is cheapest and is there even a buying option that suits my situation.

Thanks for everyone for you ideas and help on the topic! I'm starting out my first build from scratch and will have a build thread created soon. Building the stand and canopy tomorrow and saturday!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back