DjTonTon's 265 Reef!

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleveland, Ohio? I'm originally from Lorain but I'm a transplant here in Clearwater Florida. Nice to see a fellow Ohioan. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay did some drywall today!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413346572.707211.jpg

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so im making some changes to my design

The Sump will NO longer go under the stand. I want a 75 for my sump so it will sit outside by my cold air return between that and the dryer. I want the extra space to work i dont want to be Pi$$ed when i realize i dont have enought room up and down to remove skimmer cup or get into the sump. I will have my 5000int skimmer in there maybe a reactor or two and a return. for the return i am thinking a mag 18.

Under the stand one side will be dry towels and a basket for wet towels (near sump). On the other side i believe im doing a 65 gal leg water storage container. This will sit near the door i will build a square basket to hold one of those retractable hoses so i can fill the sump as well as my 93 gal cube in the living room. When im done just let it shrink and toss it in this wood box! Think ill have any problems with saltwater in the hose? I think for this ill use a mag 24 since i just found one super cheap.

Also for my lights im going to encase the heater return with plywood and than put up T Track! This will allow me to slide out my photon 48 and photon 32 behind the tank if i ever had to service the lights or just so i can have more access into the tank.

Water Container:

Hose:

xhose-green.jpg

T-Track

buildit_ttrackreg_main_zoom.jpg

Screws to go into T track and into the light fixture with nut.
130435.jpg

The idea for the t track branched from the other reef forum where they talked about mounting reef breeder lights.

spacer.gif

What do you guys think see any holes in my thought process haha

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 65 gal water tank might sit to high to the stand where i wouldnt be able to mix salt into the container so i might go with a 50 gal tank:

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we were really sick of that wood so we figured mine as well hang the drywall all around the basement so when they come to mud it they could just do everything in one trip. why not take on another project lol

Going to paint the whole room after that got a lot done today not bad at all. Getting the tank Saturday!!!!! hopefully have it on the stand in a week or so

the water tank was another thing i wanted the 50 but it was like 40$ more than the 65 so i said screw it get the bigger one.

Hoping to get drywall tomorrow and finish the basement tomorrow than get someone out to finish it!

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank going to sit behind the wall or flush? I see your stand extends past your opening and I'm assuming that's just workspace?
Your storage tank looks too big to service in that space. I would suggest adding a couple of big bulkhead fittings to the side of the tank for access before you seal it up.

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank going to sit behind the wall or flush? I see your stand extends past your opening and I'm assuming that's just workspace?
Your storage tank looks too big to service in that space. I would suggest adding a couple of big bulkhead fittings to the side of the tank for access before you seal it up.

tank is going to sit flush with the wall the extension is for a ledge. as for the storage tank i should have enough room i might cut out the 2x4 and have it sit right on the ground giving me some more room. i am going to do the bulkhead thing to thanks again for the suggestions!!

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just watching a video from Mr saltwater tank of his visit to Julian sprung's home. Julian placed his tank on a piece of acrylic. Probably around 1"thick. It gives a really cool lighting effect under the tank. Yours would look cool because of the two separate rooms. I was thinking, you could even mount some color changing leds under the glass for added effect

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just watching a video from Mr saltwater tank of his visit to Julian sprung's home. Julian placed his tank on a piece of acrylic. Probably around 1"thick. It gives a really cool lighting effect under the tank. Yours would look cool because of the two separate rooms. I was thinking, you could even mount some color changing leds under the glass for added effect
ill have to check that out!!

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like it is going to be very nice build, it is a lot of work, but it will all be worth it! A bit concerned that your critter storage didn't include a skimmer so pets died needlessly, but I am sure you did what you could.

What kind of lighting do you have planned? Man you are going to like having the sump not under the stand, you can get to it so much easier!

OP
OP
Djtonton

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like it is going to be very nice build, it is a lot of work, but it will all be worth it! A bit concerned that your critter storage didn't include a skimmer so pets died needlessly, but I am sure you did what you could.

What kind of lighting do you have planned? Man you are going to like having the sump not under the stand, you can get to it so much easier!

i am extremely concerned about the fish. it bothers me every day. i just didnt have the room for a skimmer. :sad:

I am going to do a nice water change today hopefully to help clean up the water. So far i can see all the fish so i must be doing okay....

As for lights i really am a big fan of ReefBreeders. I have a Photon 48 along with a Photon 32 so there will be a little section where the light hangs over but it will be over my workspace so it actually works out. Ill mount the lights to a T - Track which will be mounted to this metal adapter (which now that im typing this i want to make sure it cant rust.) its like something you would see in a garage that hold the garage door opener. ill have to take a picture of it.

and yes lots of days staying up till 3am doing construction than having to get up at 830 for work. but its fun and in the end it will def be worth it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back