DLANDINO's 46 Gallon Mixed Reef

dlandino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Please allow me to introduce myself and share some information about my reef. I began in this great hobby nearly 5 years ago when my wife said to me that my then year old daughter might like to have/watch a fish. She meant a goldfish in a bowl, I envisioned something a bit larger but remaining in my comfort zone of fresh water as I has kept a 55 gallon tropical tank in the past. At any rate, I immediately asked her to call her mom who had a Dodge Caravan so that I could get the goldfish bowl home :). I went to Petco and bought a 46 gallon Oceanic non-reef ready tank, stand and all that I thought I would need to run a fresh water setup. As I got the tank home and began to fill it up I became very excited and my mind switched to salt water. Again, I didn't have any idea of how to setup or run this type of system. So, as the water filled I began to do some online research and was taken by the beauty of a "reef tank". I was up for the challenge but had no idea the adventure ahead of me. The very next day I bought all of the basic things to run a saltwater tank. Basic skimmer a Coralife 65, new more intense PC light, power heads and test kits. I added a few pieces of live rock and some dead base rock and I then played the cycling waiting game becoming more and more excited as the days passed and my tests improved. One of my earliest mistakes was that I used CC (crushed coral) for my initial substrate. This all had to be removed and then was replaced with 80lbs of live sand.

Once I was given a clean bill of health and I was sure that the tank was cycled I began to slowly add a fish here and there, damsels were my first fish of choice for a few reasons, price and color. I also began adding smaller pieces of live rock to eventually total 62 lbs. The addiction to this amazing hobby had already taken hold and I became involved in my local reef club CTARS (Connecticut Area Reef Society) meeting a bunch of local members that were a wealth of knowledge and source for my first pieces of coral. I began with a kenya tree coral and large green favia. As I watched these corals change in the different lighting according to time of day as well as their feeding response the addiction ran deeper and deeper. I quickly traded off my damsels because they became very territorial and wouldn't allow any new fish to be added without fighting and upgraded from a PC light to a SunPod dual 150watt metal halide system. I also began to learn more about SPS coral and water quality concerns so I purchased a small 50 gpd ro/di system from Air Water and Ice and began doing weekly water changes with this new 0 TDS water. As my water chemestry stablized further and I was progressively adding more and more SPS frags I decided to upgrade my lighting system and skimmer. I contacted Aquactinics which happens to be a few towns from mine and bought a MHT5 Classic dual 175w halide with 2 39w T5 bulbs, moon light module and external ballast. I also purchased a Deltec MCE 600 skimmer which would skim the water a few hundred times over throughout the course of the day. The rest, as they say is history. Flash forward to today. I have a thriving mixed reef tank, a hobby and group of friends that are great and a conversation piece for all of the events that we hold at our house.

Thanks for reading my abbreviated reef adventure story!

Happy reefing!
fts92711.jpg

OP
OP
dlandino

dlandino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment. This picture was taken about 3 weeks after a NINE DAY POWER OUTAGE from hurricane Irene. I literally kept it alive wit a turkey baster, luck and prayer. Here is my story from that incident in case anyone is interested in the resilience of our tanks. This is from a blog that I wrote once the power was restored.

Well, we finally got internet access back last night so I thought that I would update the group on my reef’s status and how it made out with a 9 day power outage caused by Hurricane Irene that swept the east coast a few weeks ago. I was prepared only with a D battery operated air pump, air stone and a turkey baster thinking that this would suffice. I was wrong.
The power went out at about 4am on Sunday August 28th as it did for most .Of course the first thoughts were for family and property safety and then, THE REEF TANK HAS NO POWER so I dutifully deployed my battery operated air pump and went back to bed! As we woke up on Sunday morning the wind was still whipping and the rain was intermittently torrential but it didn’t appear to be much worse than a really bad rain storm so I was hopeful that the power would be restored quickly. As the wind and rain began to let up I decided to take a walk outside and see what if any damage was done. Our home is very well secluded and surrounded by trees. My worst fear would have been if a tree fell across our long driveway trapping us or worse hit the house or pool. Well, those fears were confirmed and indeed a tree had blocked our passage to the main road. A CHANCE TO USE MY CHAINSAW! Things were looking up! At any rate, I never did get to use my chainsaw because some wonderful neighbors that were going door to door to check on folks cut the tree apart and removed it from the driveway with their bucket loader.

Now that we knew we were safe and that the house and property didn’t sustain any damage our eyes shifted to keeping the kids busy and making it a fun, non-scary experience for them. I recall doing the same with my parents and sister during hurricane Gloria and its aftermath and as a kid it was a pleasurable memory.
As night fell and the end of day one without power the novelty of the experience was beginning to wane and it would really have been nice to be able to easily flush the toilets, take showers and see where the heck you were going in the house. The kids also became a bit scared of the fact that we were using small flashlights and candles to get them ready for bed. We settled them down and my wife and I had a great first night just talking, something that you tend not to do much of when there are distractions like television and the Internet.
When the sun rose on day two and the kids were becoming impatient and looking for breakfast the reality of having no power was a little more nerve grating than the day before. Again, we made the best of the experience, lit the fire pit in the back yard and made a nice breakfast on the grill of bacon, eggs and pancakes. Still not terrible but it was high time for the power to be restored and our lives back to normal. We played games again that day and then went out in the car to see how the rest of the town made it through the storm. Well, when we made it out to the main road and took our tour we saw all of the downed trees and power lines for the first time. It was at this moment that I began to realize that power would not be restored for quite some time. Reef panic began to set in and I quickly went into survival mode. The air stone and bubbler was not going to be enough to sustain life and the only other tool that I had at this point was my trusty turkey baster. To top it all off, the house room temperature had plummeted during the night because we had all of the windows open for ventilation and the tank temperature followed suit. Both the house and tank were now at 60 degrees. DOUBLE PANIC! I had no way of heating the tank and thought for sure that this was the beginning of the end. All day I periodically blew some current into the tank with the baster and watched as the bubbles from the battery operated air pump coated the walls, tank and light fixture with salt creep.

As the end of day two fell, one of our fellow reefers became a hero for our family and lent us a small generator that was capable of handling the heater, a power head and a few household appliances like our refrigerators and a lamp so that we could have some light. We are forever grateful to him for this kind gesture! It took the sting out of having no light and some of the tank burden off of me. Additionally we were able to charge our cell phones and access the 3g internet for CL&P updates regarding power restoral estimates. I limited the generator usage to those appliances because I am not all that mechanical and didn’t understand exactly how much I could run on the generator and I had no idea if overloading it would have caused damage. I know differently now and may have added a few more things to its load. At this point in time, the water issue was becoming more aggravating and we were at a different house about every night to take showers and give the kids baths. We were concerned about the security of the house because the alarm system was down so we didn’t stay away from home long.
The following days were much the same, the tank was on auto pilot and was going to either make it or not. I quickly lost my small HOB refugium to lack of flow, heat etc and it was take apart before the smell could make its way through the house. So far, this was a small price to pay however my biggest tank fears were outweighing this loss. Lack of light and excess nutrient exportation was a concern but there little could be done. I gritted my teeth and stuck with turkey basing off detritus as best I could and hoped for the best.
As time went on the tank was still a huge elephant in the corner but I stopped complaining about it to my wife because she was sick of it, and I don’t blame her, the kids were becoming progressively miserable and my patience with the outage was gone and we were all at our breaking points. From what I could see when looking in the tank with a flashlight the tank and organisms were humming along nicely although there was beginning to be a slight musty smell to the water and there was some lack of PE I was hopeful for a quick recovery once the power was returned and I could perform a large water change.
On day 8, Monday, I took the family up to Puppy Center in West Hartford, CT for some replacement supplies and supplements that I felt would help in my recovery process. I was in desperate need of carbon and GFO as well as some new filter bags for these media and figured while I was there and seeing that there was a serious lack of light and photosynthesis that some liquid food meant for stony corals was in order to bring back my PE and help recolor the coral if they had begun to brown. I also bought amino acid and potassium supplements which I had used before during a power head malfunction and subsequent total bleaching incident with much success and would deploy these slowly once power was returned and my refugium and skimmer were up and running.
Well, as it did for most of us, this outage lasted a very long time. In our case again it was 9 days! The water issue, no toilets, showers, sinks etc was the worst for us but we all pulled through just fine. We have a better appreciation for the things that we just took for granted, know now who our true friends are, are stronger as a family and will be better prepared for future outages/disasters. I am happy to say that the tank also survived no worse for the wear. Sure, I had to restart my refugium and change out all of my media and I did lose two zoa colonies and have a few patches of regular old HA that sprouted but nothing catastrophic. I also have a new respect and view for my tank and its inhabitants. While they are fragile, they are resilient. I think also that if you are raising a healthy tank and practicing good husbandry, test your water often and have the correct mix of corals Ie. No toxic leathers that may slime up in an extended outage and chemically pollute the tank killing more sensitive organisms in the process etc etc, that your reef is better prepared to survive during times of stress or less than ideal circumstances. Additionally and after years of reading about fellow reefers who swear by 3 days per month of total darkness to promote better health and overall appearance of their tank in the way of nuisance algae suppression, I now understand their point and will likely be attempting this myself in the coming weeks. The tank has never appeared cleaner and I have yet to perform a water change for lack of time and pressing work and home issues while I get back on track post storm.
All of this said, I have learned a valuable lesson and will be installing a whole house, propane driven, auto transfer Generac in the coming days. I never want to experience the lack of power again or have to worry this much over a hobby that I love.
My family owe huge debt of gratitude to all of the great folks that I have met through my local club CTARS (Connecticut Area Reef Society) who offered assistance, took phone calls and texts from me for advice and gave of themselves to help my family and reef. THANKS so much from the bottom of my heart !

To all of those who were not as fortunate as I, don’t get discouraged! You can rebuild! You probably have learned a few tricks along the way since you began and consider it a “do-over” to create a better aquascape, more avenues for flow and less dead spots, more or less rock depending on your taste etc etc. Have fun with it and HAPPY REEFING!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your tank pulled through the outtage after Irene. I remember seeing your thread in the CTARS forum about a week+ with no power, but never saw the updates to see how you made out.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you and your family made it through ok. You are correct, our tank inhabitants are much more resilient than we think. I believe if you truly have healthy livestock, they can withstand times of stress much better.

OP
OP
dlandino

dlandino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words all. I look forward to following along with all of the folks and their stories here on R2R!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to R2R! Thanks for sharing your story. Glad to hear that you, your family, and your tank pulled through! See ya around! :)

OP
OP
dlandino

dlandino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those following along. There has been some buzz in the reef/ aquarium world that sandwiching a cross section piece of Mr. Clean Magic eraser between the inside magnet on your mag-float and using it to clean your glass. Supposedly the level of cleaning that it provides removes the most microscopic remainders of film algae that may be growing on the glass it stays cleaner longer. Apparently there are no chemicals or harmful things on the "eraser" and it is safe to use. I have not tried it yet personally but may this weekend during my weekly maintenance.

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Dave. They said the at the CTARS meeting last week that the magic eraser cleans great, but not to use the heavy duty one or extra strength one whichever it is. Let us know if it works for you, it would be great to have something to clean the glass that works better than a scrubbing pad or towel.

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I WAS on RC again for a brief time Norrin_radd and NEED to know what GMATES R2R Name is, I am having a tough time getting to the Mods there ot let me back and he has a 30G acrylic that looks like might be for sale...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back