do foxface rabbitfish eat coral?

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a foxface rabbitfish for my 125 gallon reef tank for algae control, the only thing I want to know is do they eat lps corals and coral in general, I watched some videos that had information about them eating coral if not fed enough, I am wanting to know if this is really the norm for this species. The type I would get is the normal yellow foxface.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting a foxface rabbitfish for my 125 gallon reef tank for algae control, the only thing I want to know is do they eat lps corals and coral in general, I watched some videos that had information about them eating coral if not fed enough, I am wanting to know if this is really the norm for this species. The type I would get is the normal yellow foxface.
Foxface Rabbit fish sometimes will nip soft corals like Zoas. Still some eat some do not eat. If u feed them enough, they will not bother your corals. If u see them nipping your corals, feed them more. I hv seen mine nipping on corals in past

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat what herbivores eat. U can feed them Nori,pellets, flakes,etc. They sometime eats meaty food while some do not accept meaty food.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 200 gal. display. Mixed reef. Ive had a scribbled Rabbit and a bicolor fox face. Have been fun fish as they have personality and blow bubbles together. Unfortunately they both started nipping on Duncans. I trapped and sold the fox face. Then after that and before I could catch the scribbled I noticed he started leaving Duncans alone. That was about 6 months ago and now he is a model citizen (other than he is getting big and clumsy and occasionally bumps into SPS colonies and breaks off pieces). Doesn't nip anything, just eats like a pig. Most people Ive talked to have no problem with fox face rabbits. Both ate anything I fed the tank. Here is the Scribbled.

IMG_8855.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes especially zoa. Having an LFS, I quickly learned - No tanks with coral. I have caught a one spot and a gold spotted eating my zoa more than once hence I no longer have rabbitfish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They eat algae as a favorite source and Do and Should have a balanced diet of both meaty and herbivorous foods and should be offered both. They all eat meaty such as shrimp (brine, mysis, chopped Krill) and LRS herbivore, rods original, formula and plankton.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the important strategie is to keep them well fed, how often do they need to be fed then?
2-3 times. U hv to watch how much amount it wants in a single meal. Sometimes fish tell u how much food they need. Feed them only that amount that it can consume within few minutes otherwise water chemistry will be in trouble. Also they should be place with peaceful or semi aggresive fishes as they really get stressed when placed with aggressive fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally no, but each fish has its own personality and I've known one that snacked on acans.

Should be pretty safe in a 120 if it's well fed
i have one! She is a baby, l would suggest getting a baby for sure, that might help her not to eat coral if you train her from the get go on feeding schedule

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ve had 3 and each one after my zoa

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface and I’ve noticed my zoa garden has started to become patchy, then today i saw him grazing and nipping at them.. I believe my fish are well fed (3 times a day) with a mix of pellets, frozen and nori, but I think it’s time for him to go back to my LFS.

Last edited:

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught my one spot foxface nipping at my acanthophylia and cynarina today…. Caught him red handed.
I moved him to my observation tank this evening and he is going up for sale tmrw.
It’s a shame , cause he also devours Valonia…it’s his favourite. But when u can’t trust them around precious LPS, it’s time to go bye bye.

They are not to be trusted in a reef tank , either are any dwarf angels. They are reef safe til they are not.

Silly clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had a single rabbit fish (one spot). In 9 years:
- definitely went after zoas, but since I am not a zoa fan, it was easy enough not to add more
- did not bother my clam
- May have picked at blastos
- did not bother SPS or euphyllia
- was not great at hair algae control
- ate any food I put in the tank, was an absolute pig.
Also the most skittish fish in the tank

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hsve one with several zoa's, a few favia, and some mushrooms, he never even seems to notice any of them. But I do keep him well fed.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hsve one with several zoa's, a few favia, and some mushrooms, he never even seems to notice any of them. But I do keep him well fed.
I’ve had many foxface over the years. Some are model citizens. All very well fed, as this one I had was. Then it just decided “Hmmm , this beautiful cynarina/acanthophyllia coral tastes delicious! Num num”
lol.
Total eviction. Never again. They are great til they are not great haha

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had many foxface over the years. Some are model citizens. All very well fed, as this one I had was. Then it just decided “Hmmm , this beautiful cynarina/acanthophyllia coral tastes delicious! Num num”
lol.
Total eviction. Never again. They are great til they are not great haha
Yep, I hear ya! Fish are like us, they have their own personality, and do not necessarily fit into a mold.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back