do foxface rabbitfish eat coral?

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 4 different foxface, and they all eventually picked at my trachyphyllia.
Picking / biting / nipping at any chunky meat coral is like a fighting word haha.

Just can’t trust em. Too bad they didn’t eat Xenia or Kenya tree. No no no. They go after the expensive trachys and donuts

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking / biting / nipping at any chunky meat coral is like a fighting word haha.

Just can’t trust em. Too bad they didn’t eat Xenia or Kenya tree. No no no. They go after the expensive trachys and donuts
Picking was being nice. They would continue to consume flesh until the trachy would recede and die. I’ve lost a lot of trachy’s due to foxface fish. If course I never realized it was the foxface and I would spin my wheels with testing and chemistry until I would by luck catch the fish in the act.

The foxface would hover around the trachy corals, but the nipping would be very indiscreet. Once you see it you can’t unsee it.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking was being nice. They would continue to consume flesh until the trachy would recede and die. I’ve lost a lot of trachy’s due to foxface fish. If course I never realized it was the foxface and I would spin my wheels with testing and chemistry until I would by luck catch the fish in the act.

The foxface would hover around the trachy corals, but the nipping would be very indiscreet. Once you see it you can’t unsee it.
Your exact situation mirrors what happened to me yesterday. Thought it was parameters off but all other corals looked great. Then literally seen him take a bite.
Chunks out of an acantho for me and destroyed another cynarina.
Caught it in the act doing this. So my evening was spent catching the little %#^*€!

Checked the tank today and the meat corals are nice and puffed out again including the cynarina which it seemed to prefer.

Here’s my tank vid before this. The golden acantho on left side has a nice chunk bitten off it and the large cynarina on the right side , well it is no more :(

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The acantho is missing a quarter sized chunk and the cynarina in this pic is destroyed.
The Trachy in the vid has a small bite mark but it’s in better shape.
Hopefully the acantho can recover from this.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2636.jpeg
    IMG_2636.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 9

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back