Do hammer corals and torch corals kill fish?

kenzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound stupid but I always wanted to have one of these corals but stayed away from them 'cause I'm scared of their tentacles and scared that they might sting my fish and kill them. But they look so cool and I really want to have one. Do they get big I only have a 56 gallon and do they kill fish?

BreaknBrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound stupid but I always wanted to have one of these corals but stayed away from them 'cause I'm scared of their tentacles and scared that they might sting my fish and kill them. But they look so cool and I really want to have one. Do they get big I only have a 56 gallon and do they kill fish?
My female Green Mandarin surfs on my Toxic Frogspawn all the time.

Trey B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my hammers have hosted my clown pair before they decided the nems were ok lol. They can end up branching out and growing enough to become large colonies but it typically takes a decent amount of time.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, they're relatively harmless.

mike wilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't harm your fish and as for growth they can get decent sized over time but they seem to be relatively slow growers so you should have lots of time before you have to worry about fragging them

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hammer corals grow fast

I respectfully disagree. Even the most seasoned coral experts are surprised when they get the growth mike mentions. I am lucky to see one or two heads per year in my hammer, torch, frog spawn, etc. I am slightly exaggerating as my frogspawn is enormous and I probably get 5-10 per year but I have had say 50 at a time. I recently fragged it for a friend and gave him say 20-30 heads.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess it all depends I've had hammers in 4 separate tanks and always got 4 or 5 more heads in just a couple of months .. Maybe species related .. *shrug*

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends I've had hammers in 4 separate tanks and always got 4 or 5 more heads in just a couple of months .. Maybe species related .. *shrug*

Must be awesome strains and flawless husbandry!

Trey B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aac30e5b021b3789752568653ff507d9.jpg

AcroDesCoraux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't harm your fish but I would recommend to wear gloves when touching them if you get a torch or a hammer, I got stung by my torches once it really burns and puts a hole in your skin!

ghndnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frogspawn and a hammer, and my clownfish goes back and forth between the two of them as hosts. Never had a problem, and it's only a 29 gallon tank.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back