Do I Need a Better RO/DI Unit?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Aquatic Life 4-stage RO/DI Buddie that includes the DI and all. First couple batches of RODI water tested at 0 TDS. Last batch I just made shows 1 TDS, this was after about 25g of RODI water was made with this brand new. My waste ratio is about 3/1.

Am I needing a better unit or is this natural? How can you even determine which unit is needed between 4-stage, 5, 6, etc?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have tapped it out. Those “buddy” type ro units are meant for very very low volume. Unless you have a 10 gallon tank, it’s time to step up to a full sized unit. You can add on and build it up so it isn’t as expensive from the onset. I bought a cheapo and over the years added up to 2 75 gpd membranes and dual DI. It pumps out hundreds of gallons before I need to do anything and the waste water is less than the clean.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Aquatic Life 4-stage RO/DI Buddie that includes the DI and all. First couple batches of RODI water tested at 0 TDS. Last batch I just made shows 1 TDS, this was after about 25g of RODI water was made with this brand new. My waste ratio is about 3/1.

Am I needing a better unit or is this natural? How can you even determine which unit is needed between 4-stage, 5, 6, etc?

We need to know your source water TDS and chlorine/chloramine concentration. This can be obtained with HACH chlorine test strips.

I used the Aquatic Life unit for months and it worked great. Is your resin exhausted (brown/gold)? How are you measuring TDS? Is it possible the water was contaminated to give 1 TDS? If you fill a pail with water and there is a drop of saltwater in it it will give off TDS. Also what is your pressure?

I made 100s of gallons a week with an RO buddie and was fine. It can be used but it depends on your source water.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those aquatic life units are junk I bought the twist in as my first rodi, couldn’t make filters last longer then 2-3 months and still got tds afterwards. A quality rodi will go a long way. I would recommend nothing but a 7 stage, I lost abou $6k of sps from a bad rodi, it’s not worth the risk. I believe everyone should protect themselves no matter how good your base tap water is. I have a brs 7 stage 200gpd with booster pump and it was worth every penny.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to know your source water TDS and chlorine/chloramine concentration. This can be obtained with HACH chlorine test strips.

I used the Aquatic Life unit for months and it worked great. Is your resin exhausted (brown/gold)? How are you measuring TDS? Is it possible the water was contaminated to give 1 TDS? If you fill a pail with water and there is a drop of saltwater in it it will give off TDS. Also what is your pressure?

I made 100s of gallons a week with an RO buddie and was fine. It can be used but it depends on your source water.
I don't have a chlorine/chloramine test, but I'll get one and come back to that.

Here's the TDS meter I have:

I see very little brown near the top, but overall I've only used it over the weekend to make 25g of fresh water.

I'm going to re-test in a clean container and check as it could have been left over salt or something of that sort. Didn't think of that.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aquatic life units are junk I bought the twist in as my first rodi, couldn’t make filters last longer then 2-3 months and still got tds afterwards. A quality rodi will go a long way. I would recommend nothing but a 7 stage, I lost abou $6k of sps from a bad rodi, it’s not worth the risk. I believe everyone should protect themselves no matter how good your base tap water is. I have a brs 7 stage 200gpd with booster pump and it was worth every penny.
I've heard some praise it and others hate it, I think a lot of it depends on location and water quality. I'm just trying to figure out if it's a real issue or left over residue in the container. Will check it again tonight.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some praise it and others hate it, I think a lot of it depends on location and water quality. I'm just trying to figure out if it's a real issue or left over residue in the container. Will check it again tonight.

Exactly right, I used one for 6 months or so, never replaced a filter, easily 1000+gallons. I upgraded so I could make more faster.

I have the same tds meter. I usually filter a bit of water into a drinking glass and test my tds in that.

This works, but ideally designate a small tuppaware for RODI only, then you will have no residual water left over.

Nick82187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try to make larger batches of water, it’s better for the membranes. You will get tds creep if you set it up on a float valve or something like that on your top off container

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back