Do i need a protein skimmer

Salty fish keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I am going to setup a marine planted aquarium with macro algae and I was wandering do I need a protein skimmer I heard that macro algae can use excess nutrients as well as nitrates and phosphates to grow so should I buy one or will the macro algae do the job

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoming you to our home.

I would hold off on the skimmer depending on you bioload. Macro algea does just what you mentioned. If you run a heavily stocked tank then I would run it. Trick is to balance the bioload with what the algea will consume.

#WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcoming you to our home.

I would hold off on the skimmer depending on you bioload. Macro algea does just what you mentioned. If you run a heavily stocked tank then I would run it. Trick is to balance the bioload with what the algea will consume.

#WelcometoR2R

In addition to what @Mastiffsrule said, stay consistent with your water tests and that should let you know if you need to make changes like adding a skimmer. On the other hand, adding a skimmer wouldn't hurt.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run any size tank without a skimmer.

I run a 20 long in my office with just powerheads for movement, and 5g water changes every week.

@WWC runs a 293g tank with no skimmer.

So I'm pretty sure any size in between can be maintained without a skimmer

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool, I need to check that out. Last time I was at world wide I believe they had skimmers going on all the tanks but it's been awhile. I agree, you can run a healthy tank without a skimmer but I've always preferred one.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool, I need to check that out. Last time I was at world wide I believe they had skimmers going on all the tanks but it's been awhile. I agree, you can run a healthy tank without a skimmer but I've always preferred one.

I use one on my 200g, but can't say that it makes a massive difference.

The 20 long with no skimmer is my favorite tank. It's simple, bare bottom, and easy to maintain.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back