Do I need a wavemaker?

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bug you guys again. I have an Aqueon 8.5 glass tank with 20 lbs of Caribsea java pink sand which is cycling. Once completed, I just plan on a nemo clown and an invert. I have a HOB Aqueon Pro 10 filter.

Do I really need a wavemaker for that small of a tank? I found a 20.00 mini one on Amazon but I'm afraid it will blow the water out of the tank.

The filter creates a slow flow across the top but nothing like a wave. I took the forums advice and threw a dead shrimp in there. Poor thing was decapitated (only kind I could find at the deli counter) and the motion of the pump makes it look alive. It's kind of creepy. Thank you again guys for all the expert advice.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a ‘wave maker’…no. Not based on what you said you are putting in there. But you do need circulation and surface agitation for detritus removal and Airation. Fancy wave patterns are good for corals and making sure no dead spots, but for a fowl tank..you don’t need to be too fancy.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to only leave the shrimp in a maximum of 2-3 days. You're just trying to seed with ammonia. Too long and you'll overdose.

Are you planning on keeping coral? If so you'll likely want a wavemaker. Otherwise definitely not necessary.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would upgrade the hob to a tidal 35. Better filtration with more room for custom filtration options and a slight more water movement..

As far as wavemakers go, you do not necessarily need one if you are only keeping a fish. You will still need water movement and exchange/oxygenation. If you intend on adding coral, I would suggest a nano or pico wave pump.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to only leave the shrimp in a maximum of 2-3 days. You're just trying to seed with ammonia. Too long and you'll overdose.

Are you planning on keeping coral? If so you'll likely want a wavemaker. Otherwise definitely not necessary.

No Ged, no coral at all. I'm not proficient enough in reefing for soft or hard coral. I do have about a pound of skeleton coral that I snuck on the plane from Hawaii 20 years ago, but that's all I plan on keeping. I was considering a lb of live rock but there really isn't much room for that. Thanks for the recommendation on that pump. I'm comparing pricing and the demensions as I want to make sure it will fit the tank with the lid.

I do plan on taking out the dead shrimp tomorrow at two days. Thank you for that advice, I was think on 3 days but it's a rather large 3" Canadian shrimp.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Ged, no coral at all. I'm not proficient enough in reefing for soft or hard coral. I do have about a pound of skeleton coral that I snuck on the plane from Hawaii 20 years ago, but that's all I plan on keeping. I was considering a lb of live rock but there really isn't much room for that. Thanks for the recommendation on that pump. I'm comparing pricing and the demensions as I want to make sure it will fit the tank with the lid.

I do plan on taking out the dead shrimp tomorrow at two days. Thank you for that advice, I was think on 3 days but it's a rather large 3" Canadian shrimp.
Never heard of a Canadian shrimp .

the old way was to put the shrimp in a nylon and toss it into the tank .

essentially it does the same as adding fish but not sacrificing the fish as a source of ammonia .
I have always let them decompose , when they were gone , my tank was ready .
a few tests to confirm ammonia was zero and nitrates were high .
Large water change and start stocking with fish .
times have changed a lot

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the pricing for the Seachem Tidal 35. I found the pump on Amazon for 38.00. However, I checked the top dimensions on my tank.

I have plenty of room for the HOB, but with the lid on my tank, I measure 6 1/4 " across and 4 1/4 " excluding the rim which is 1". I think this pump is a tad too large for my tank going by the dimensions purchases have indicated in the reviews. My opening is not large enough to accomadate that pump. But many thanks for all the expert advice.

Off topic for a minute, I have no clue as to why Caribsea labels this sand pink java. I've yet to see one spec of pink and the tank is pristine clear.

Attachments

• 20210815_125951.jpg
    20210815_125951.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither RM, but that's what the wrapper states from the deli counter. I guess that's what they sell in Los Angeles. I sure did get strange looks when I asked for one. He wouldn't even sell it to me as it did not measure on the scale, I had to buy 6 for .66 cents. He wouldn't give me a freebie.
Never heard of a Canadian shrimp .

the old way was to put the shrimp in a nylon and toss it into the tank .

essentially it does the same as adding fish but not sacrificing the fish as a source of ammonia .
I have always let them decompose , when they were gone , my tank was ready .
a few tests to confirm ammonia was zero and nitrates were high .
Large water change and start stocking with fish .
times have changed a lot

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither RM, but that's what the wrapper states from the deli counter. I guess that's what they sell in Los Angeles. I sure did get strange looks when I asked for one. He wouldn't even sell it to me as it did not measure on the scale, I had to buy 6 for .66 cents. He wouldn't give me a freebie.
I needed 2 shrimp as it was a 75gal
I wanted more .

I bought 2 shrimp from the seafood counter .

later after getting anemones , trigger fish and a eel , they all ate shrimp and started buying bags of seafood medley

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted more .

later after getting anemones , trigger fish and a eel , they all ate shrimp and started buying bags of seafood medley
It didn’t necessarily have to be a shrimp .
any seafood , fish would have worked .
Ghost feeding with fish good would have essentially done the same .

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know how to play with water flow, you don't need a wave maker even for coral. Just enough flow to keep things moving and not letting waste sit still.
I'm not sure I understand "playing" with water flow. The intake tube on my filter extends 2" above the sand. I have nothing in there now except for a heater and the filter.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted more .

I'm not a fan of eating shrimp. I plan on throwing this one (once it's done it's work) and the remaining ones in my koi pond, once a day for treats. I've got 3 big foot long koi in there and I'm sure they will devour them.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of eating shrimp. I plan on throwing this one (once it's done it's work) and the remaining ones in my koi pond, once a day for treats. I've got 3 big foot long koi in there and I'm sure they will devour them.
I’m not crazy for shrimp either .
but the anemones , trigger fish and eel loved it .

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I understand "playing" with water flow. The intake tube on my filter extends 2" above the sand. I have nothing in there now except for a heater and the filter.
A power head you can manipulate. It doesn't need to be a wave maker. However, there are cheap jabaeo wave makers. They are bulky and ugly. Unless they changed something.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A power head you can manipulate. It doesn't need to be a wave maker. However, there are cheap jabaeo wave makers. They are bulky and ugly. Unless they changed something.
They do have some fairly small wave makers
Affordable and work just as the eco tech brand .
I’ve had the wp-40 which was comparable to the mp-40 but a fraction of the price .
Even if they need to be replaced in a few years , it’s still a
Fraction of the cost

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not crazy for shrimp either .
but the anemones , trigger fish and eel loved it .
I'll remember that if I croak and come back reincarnated as an anemone, trigger fish or eel. Actually that would be pretty cool if I do. Have a great day!

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In regards to adjusting or controlling flow, some higher quality HOB filters have flow deflectors that allow for minor customized flow options. Building rockscape accordingly to allow for specific flow patterns is also a viable option. Various wave makers also allow for the control of water movement. With such a small tank your options will be limited, but you do have options nonetheless.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back