Do tangs need Nori?

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Convict and a Purple Tang last week. The purple settled in immediately and took to Nori and LRS. The Convict took a little longer but he’s been eating LRS as well but won’t touch Nori. I have been giving him Romaine lettuce which he has taken to. I know tangs need vegetation to avoid HLLE but if he doesn’t take to Nori is romaine enough to prevent this? I’m not worried about him starving because LRS fattens everyone up but I want to make sure he’s getting the vitamins he needs. It’s not just Nori he won’t eat, I’ve tried spirulina, collard greens, broccoli. And everything above soaked in garlic as well.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Hikari Mega Marine Algae

2. Hikari Algae Wafers

3. Hikari Seaweed Extreme

4. Ocean Nutrition Formula-2 Flakes

5. Ocean Nutrition Formula-2 Pellets

6. Julian Sprung’s Sea Veggies

7. Sushi nori (unprocessed / clean) from supermarket

8. LRS / Rod’s Food (Herbivore varieties)

9. First Bite Veggie Flakes

10. First Bite Veggie Pellets

11. Easy Reefs Masstick

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How mature is your tank. I never feed nori but have a mature tank that offer constant grazing of micro algae, and I feed Hikari mega algae. Orange shoulder and scopas for several years.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year old. I have no algae in it other than some bubble that’s apparently too tough for even my Fox Face. There’s nothing for the Tang to graze on other than what I put in the tank. I’ll try to pick up some flake today. I’ve tried pellets and he doesn’t seem to know that’s food.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are herbivores (duh, I know) so you just need to make sure they get greens. I’ve tended to avoid feeding mine terrestrial greens, preferring non-roasted nori. Naturally occurring algae in the tank is obviously good. It can take a bit for a new tang to work out that the algae flapping around in a clip is food. Convict can be a bit tricky, and often arrive very thin, but as long as it’s eating something I’d not be overly concerned. You could try spirulaina fortified frozen brine. That’s my go to food for uncooperative tangs.

You could try breaking a piece of nori up into bits and mix it into the thawed LRS. I know a lot of people still recommend garlic. I don’t use it, mostly because it actually doesn’t make much difference and is reputed to do liver damage.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a convict, tomini tang, and a foxface. They will not eat nori on a clip. I cut up small squares of about 1/8" to 1/4" and let it soak with the cubes in a shot glass.
When I dump the frozen in they all eat the small pieces of nori.
My convict is a pig, lol.
And yes he was super skinny when I got him.
20210106_194911.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done .... he’s a chub! I’ve a soft spot for the convict and it’s extra striped and overpriced Mauritian cousin.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice how well is your Orange Shoulder doing? Do you still have the Mimic? If so for how long and how big is it? :)

Orange shoulder is great, a big fish, the 210g I would say is bare minimum. I gave the mimic to a friend whe he was about 6". He was originally in a 125g trigger grow out tank, and he got beat up pretty good. So i moved him to my 90g lion's reef and that tank proved too small.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done .... he’s a chub! I’ve a soft spot for the convict and it’s extra striped and overpriced Mauritian cousin.
This a year ago when I got him.
Local lfs and friends say they are hard to keep alive.
I made sure it was eating before I brought it home.
20200421_194503.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that how almost all of them show up. I have a very small one (maybe 1 1/2”) and it’s taken me almost a year to get it to a healthy weight. Convict is an excellent grazer. My zebra came from DD and was not thin thankfully.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try turning off all flow and putting your hand in the tank with nori and rubbing it in your fingers so it comes apart. That might work.

My convict and and even my ****** BLUE JAW TRIGGER go nuts when I scrape the glass and eats the algae particles.. he learned that from the convict and my Japanese gold hawkfish WHO ALSO EATS THE NORI WITH THE HERBIVORES.

what the heck IS GOJNG ON IN MY TANK? YOUD THINK I STARVE THEM!!

md2882

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Convict and a Purple Tang last week. The purple settled in immediately and took to Nori and LRS. The Convict took a little longer but he’s been eating LRS as well but won’t touch Nori. I have been giving him Romaine lettuce which he has taken to. I know tangs need vegetation to avoid HLLE but if he doesn’t take to Nori is romaine enough to prevent this? I’m not worried about him starving because LRS fattens everyone up but I want to make sure he’s getting the vitamins he needs. It’s not just Nori he won’t eat, I’ve tried spirulina, collard greens, broccoli. And everything above soaked in garlic as well.
My tangs love Nori and I’m sure my Naso would say yes, he needs nori. They like the brown too it falls apart and the other tangs scoop up the pieces. No one will touch red.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back