Do you Calibrate your tests with known parameters?

how often do you calibrate your test kits

• Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quarterly

• Yearly

• Years

• Total voters

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Neptune about my trident being off from other test kits and they told me I have to test the test kits to the calibration solution that is provided by Neptune in the trident dosing solution to compare how off they are to one another.

this seems very logical and a way to calibrate your own test kits (Red Sea alk, tropic Marin) and if you have a trident- calibrate your test kits to that.

Question is - how often do you calibrate your test kits to a know solution?
What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I trusted the Tridents accuracy, you are right, that would be a good way lol. Unfortunately the Trident, which I have been using for over a year, can be pretty inaccurate for everything but ALK, which is normally spot on. I don't calibrate my kits...I just use kits from multiple vendors to compare readings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Neptune about my trident being off from other test kits and they told me I have to test the test kits to the calibration solution to compare how off they are.

this seems very logical and a way to calibrate your own test kits (Red Sea alk, tropic Marin)

Question is - how often do you calibrate your test kits to a know solution?
What are your thoughts on this?

It's a good idea, but is only as useful as the standard you use is accurate. Getting a standard that you have confidence in is not always trivial. .

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I trusted the Tridents accuracy, you are right, that would be a good way lol. Unfortunately the Trident, which I have been using for over a year, can be pretty inaccurate for everything but ALK, which is normally spot on. I don't calibrate my kits...I just use kits from multiple vendors to compare readings.

I may have not been clear but I was saying it in reference to calibrating your kits based on the calibration solution that comes with the trident reagents. so you're calibrating all your kits to the same solution that is a known.

It's a good idea, but is only as useful as the standard you use is accurate. Getting a standard that you have confidence in is not always trivial. .
Is the calibration solution provided by Neptune not accurate enough? I would think that it is ICP level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have not been clear but I was saying it in reference to calibrating your kits based on the calibration solution that comes with the trident reagents. so you're calibrating all your kits to the same solution that is a known.

Is the calibration solution provided by Neptune not accurate enough? I would think that it is ICP level.

I do not know, but you are trusting the company if you assume it is accurate. Some companies I have a level of trust, and some I do not.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer even calibrate my trident with their calibration solution. When I can test their calibration solution with two different brand test kits that show the same reading but it doesn't match the listed amount on the bottle I no longer trust the calibration solution.

When I change reagents I test my tank water with my other tests kits multiple times each, get what I feel is a reliable average, then use those values to "calibrate" my trident with my tanks water.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer even calibrate my trident with their calibration solution. When I can test their calibration solution with two different brand test kits that show the same reading but it doesn't match the listed amount on the bottle I no longer trust the calibration solution.

When I change reagents I test my tank water with my other tests kits multiple times each, get what I feel is a reliable average, then use those values to "calibrate" my trident with my tanks water.
That is logical - how does that work for you and how often do you calibrate your trident with that? also saves the hassle of the calibration process of the trident. just force the values.

Im sure there is a thread out there - but what are the tests of choice. I have a reefbot that does some others to validate but its also just a metric. I go to the LFS for their version (some newer centrifuge type).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is logical - how does that work for you and how often do you calibrate your trident with that? also saves the hassle of the calibration process of the trident. just force the values.

Im sure there is a thread out there - but what are the tests of choice. I have a reefbot that does some others to validate but its also just a metric. I go to the LFS for their version (some newer centrifuge type).
I calibrate just like I would with the calibration bottle except I just leave the intake tube in my tank. I do this everytime I replace all 3 reagents.

OP
OP
NEFFx

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate just like I would with the calibration bottle except I just leave the intake tube in my tank. I do this everytime I replace all 3 reagents.
Yes I mean what do you use to get your calibration numbers. which test are used to get the best numbers. You essentially just true up your trident to those tests.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back