Do you/Can you dip Torch Coral

SirShmyra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple indo golds arriving tomorrow and was curious what everyone dips their torch coral in, or if you dip them at all.

I have seen some mixed thoughts on dipping torch coral(sensitive, not AS prone to hitchhikers, etc) so am unsure as to whether I should dip them or not. I have been using bayer the last 8 months or so with good results (and no pests...atlest not that I can see) but have not tried it on any euphyllia yet. What do you all use?

I am proceeding would like to proceed with caution because, as we all know, gold torches are a small fortune right now, and seeing as I've ordered two multi head pieces this is by far the most I've spent on a single coral order. That said, I dont want to potentially dip these coral in anything overly agressive.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I always dip my torches in coral RX and it works, bayer works as well.

With new corals I acclimate them in a QT with tank water and then medicate/dip. Then rinse in fresh salt water/tank water in a separate container and then into the display.

Your quarantine regimen is up to you for the length of time in QT.

OP
OP
SirShmyra

SirShmyra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent got any Coral Rx but do have Bayer. Just wasnt sure if the bayer may be too strong.

How long do you QT for before treating?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I havent got any Coral Rx but do have Bayer. Just wasnt sure if the bayer may be too strong.

How long do you QT for before treating?
Bayer should be fine as many torch keepers use it with success.

We don't have a dedicated coral QT and we really should. When we really start filling the tank with sps we will start a 20 long for a longer quarantine period.

As for now we only dip and then Quarentine in a 10g for 48hrs or so in tank water to let the nasties out. If we see any flat worms or anything crawl out after then we redo the process.

Teku1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer should be fine as many torch keepers use it with success.

We don't have a dedicated coral QT and we really should. When we really start filling the tank with sps we will start a 20 long for a longer quarantine period.

As for now we only dip and then Quarentine in a 10g for 48hrs or so in tank water to let the nasties out. If we see any flat worms or anything crawl out after then we redo the process.
I know this was a while ago but I am curious - what do you have in that QT setup?

I'm getting my first torch tomorrow, should I do a WC into my spare 7gal for a few day QT? Does it need flow and lighting in said theoretical QT?

Doing some research before starting. I have bayer dip, coral rx, and revive to use.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Was always told not to take the torch out the water but Many dip torches on here with no problems

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this was a while ago but I am curious - what do you have in that QT setup?

I'm getting my first torch tomorrow, should I do a WC into my spare 7gal for a few day QT? Does it need flow and lighting in said theoretical QT?

Doing some research before starting. I have bayer dip, coral rx, and revive to use.
We try to make the quarantine tank emulate the DT.

We use the display water and put powerhead and heater in it. We also have a spare light to get close to the same spectrum/par.

Use display water daily to change out.

This is of course for a very short term holding tank just to see what comes out.

Teku1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We try to make the quarantine tank emulate the DT.

We use the display water and put powerhead and heater in it. We also have a spare light to get close to the same spectrum/par.

Use display water daily to change out.

This is of course for a very short term holding tank just to see what comes out.
I have set up a 10gal AIO "saltwater" tank with media from the DT, a power head, sponge filters (in the back sump area) and a heater as well as a light. Still do such frequent water changes? I was going to leave it for a few days based on the humblefish (EDIT* Link here) recommendations of the corals possibly having ich on them

Last edited:

zaq11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple indo golds arriving tomorrow and was curious what everyone dips their torch coral in, or if you dip them at all.

I have seen some mixed thoughts on dipping torch coral(sensitive, not AS prone to hitchhikers, etc) so am unsure as to whether I should dip them or not. I have been using bayer the last 8 months or so with good results (and no pests...atlest not that I can see) but have not tried it on any euphyllia yet. What do you all use?

I am proceeding would like to proceed with caution because, as we all know, gold torches are a small fortune right now, and seeing as I've ordered two multi head pieces this is by far the most I've spent on a single coral order. That said, I dont want to potentially dip these coral in anything overly agressive.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.
you should dip it in the dip solution for any new coral you get, there are a lot of brands you can use , and it should not affect the coral

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I always dip my torches in coral RX and it works, bayer works as well.

With new corals I acclimate them in a QT with tank water and then medicate/dip. Then rinse in fresh salt water/tank water in a separate container and then into the display.

Your quarantine regimen is up to you for the length of time in QT.
I have also dipped my two Torch corals in coral rx pro. First and second torch did ok with dip, however the second one did seem to be stressed more, It really shrunk and its long flowing polyps really appeared thin almost ribbon-like. but after a few hours back in tank, it was fully opened and happy. I just wouldn't recommend an extended period in the dip 3 - 5 minutes max.

Teku1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped mine in a half bayer dose and then Coral Recover and it seems to be doing great in QT :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full strength according to the bottle?
Yes. 1 capful per gallon. If anything, I tend to mix it a bit stronger than directed. (I use slightly under 1 gallon of water when mixing) and dip all my corals for 15 minutes in this. I use a pump/airstone in the dip to keep things moving and help dislodge any critters on the corals.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Reef Dip for both my torches, one is doing EXCELLENT and always has been but the other is making a recovery from being surrounded by GHA. ALways Dip Corals!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any torches but I dipped a hammer coral in Bayer without issue. I've asked the question on this forum before is there any corals that I shouldn't dip using Bayer and the consensus seems to be to dip everything.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After floating for temp I add 32 oz tank water every 15 minutes x 3-4 then dip all corals, including hammers and torches, in Revive for 5 minutes (4 caps/gallon). Rinse with tank water then into QT or DT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back