Do you even QT, bro?

Do you even quarantine, bro?

• Yep! I have a QT setup and I quarantine all incoming fish.

Votes: 65 38.7%
  • Yep! Although, sometimes I cheat...

Votes: 18 10.7%
  • I don't, but I know I should.

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • No, but I only buy from vendors who QT.

Votes: 23 13.7%
  • Nope. I don't believe in QT.

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • What's quarantine??

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's generally best practice to quarantine your new livestock. However, I'm curious about how many reefers actually do it? So... here's a poll to ask that question! Also, if you quarantine, what is your typical protocol? Do you just qt and observe? Do you treat preemptively? What kinds of treatments? Do you not QT yourself, but instead purchase only from vendors who do?

Here's the current quarantine protocol followed by our Fish Disease Expert, @Jay Hemdal: Current Quarantine Protocol

Photo credit: @Michael Rossi
1 - qt - Michael Rossi .jpeg

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're fortunate enough to have a LFS in Portland that thoroughly quarantines all arrivals and medicates them. Contrary to popular belief, this doesn't jack his prices up and they are very reasonable. I've never contracted anything from him and compared to acquisitions from other stores earlier in the hobby, they all live and thrive much better. It's my personal opinion that the onus for this should be on the shops and that treatment should be normalized. Once you've experienced it, it's hard to consider shopping elsewhere.

Last edited:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into the hobby, I just didn't want another tank taking up my limited space, so I went without. I managed to avoid disease, but I certainly will be getting a quarantine tank for my next build.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do now after paying the price for not QT'ing at first.

Now I actually enjoy QTing new fish. Or rather, it doesn't bother me anymore. I've come to accept that most fish are probably carrying something. So I'd rather be safe than sorry now and just QT them all.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will gladly pay extra for someone better than I to condition/QT stuff for me. We wouldn't allow puppy breeders to sell us tick infested, worm pooping puppies. Why do we allow stores to sell us sick fish? We as a hobby need to stop rewarding the stores who won't at least condition their livestock. This also goes for the distributors who bring these fish in. They need to be held accountable as well.

So if a fish cost me 30-40% more for someone to QT it, I gladly pay it and thank them for their service to the hobby.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT my own or buy from QT vender. I used to cheat but have not done so in a long time.

I even QT coral and inverts.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t believe in QT until about 8 years ago. But I’ve quarantined every new addition since then, after Marine Velvet wiped out thousands of dollars worth of my fish. It was heartbreaking to watch them die, one by one.

Most go through medicated QT, unless they’re overly sensitive to copper. All spend at least 30 days in my 29 gallon QT system. Many 45 or more. And I buy all my fish from (what I consider to be) reputable sources.

Never had a problem since, and it’s not a coincidence. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I had to learn the hard way though.

Pankney72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be the turd in the punch bowl, and my give my “no” opinion. I think in general trying to manage microscopic spread of anything is really tough. One theront on a plug (because even when you dump the water from a frag or invert, the animal still goes in wet) and boom. Ya got ich.

basically, I don’t believe in halfway doing things on QT. Either you QT EVERYTHING perfectly or it’s only a matter of time before something gets it. And once it’s in, it stays. Aptaisia is another example. The rigor required to quarantine everything perfectly would suck some fun out of it for me.

So, what do I do? First an foremost I make sure I’m providing a good environment for my fish to be healthy in. Heavily rocked, low-moderately stocked, heavily fed tank.

second I usually let a store keep a fish that gives me that “Gotta have now!” Feeling a few days with a lfs. Just to make sure it’s maintaining a solid trajectory of eating and acting like a healthy fish. I do have tangs and delicate fish like anthias QT’d by a store but honestly that’s more to make sure they eat and adjust than anything on an expensive purchase.

I also run UV

Its not what the books would call the right answer… but I’m pretty happy with my tank and I’ve been doing this for quite a few years now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave up a few years ago when I was loosing more fish in QT, then just my old plop, and drop method.

Is there ich in my tank, sure is. Do my fish care, nope. Their natural immune system fights it off. New fish added, never even break out in ich.

I do of course worry about other parasites, but only purchase my fish from one place, and they are always healthy and eating. If you been in the game long enough, you know what to look for in healthy fish.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My long term tank(s) are now established and interestingly find that I am not adding many new fish. However I have both a treatment tank and an observation tank ready to go.

I suspect I have a low level of Ich in my main tank, and subscribe to the management approach for it, but it is Velvet that keeps me up at night - from a previous experience

DO hold new SPS in a spereate tank and DO NOT hold back snails/crabs...

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave up a few years ago when I was loosing more fish in QT, then just my old plop, and drop method.

Is there ich in my tank, sure is. Do my fish care, nope. Their natural immune system fights it off. New fish added, never even break out in ich.

I do of course worry about other parasites, but only purchase my fish from one place, and they are always healthy and eating. If you been in the game long enough, you know what to look for in healthy fish.
I totally agree. I also believe keeping a pair of cleaner shrimp in the tank is mandatory and I soak my frozen foods in minced garlic to promote healthy eating habits.

zimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're fortunate enough to have a LFS in Portland that thoroughly quarantines all arrivals and medicates them. Contrary to popular belief, this doesn't jack his prices up and they are very reasonable. I've never contracted anything from him and compared to acquisitions from other stores earlier in the hobby, they all live and thrive much better. It's my personal opinion that the onus for this should be on the shops and that treatment should be normalized. Once you've experienced it, it's hard to consider shopping elsewhere.
I live in the area and would love to know which LFS? Thanks!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never did in the beginning since I didn't know any better -- I think I got lucky (knock on wood).
Now I (observational) QT inverts but NOT corals (just dip first).
Haven't added fish since I started practicing QT but my plan there is to buy only quarantined fish (Dr. Reef) going forward and do my own observational QT on those (but not treat them with any medications myself).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back