Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fashionphile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive got my 40 breeder all set up for my new frag system.
Going to be keeping LPS and zoas only (SPS in other tank)
My first thoughts were no fish just some snails, maybe a shrimp and possibly some baby hermits (although I hate them)
anyway im kinda second guessing the no fish decision as I know the palys and lps love the fish poop.
Do you keep fish in your frag system?
If not why and if so why?
wanted to do a poll but have no clue as to how..

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th reason to keep them in a frag system, as you mentioned, is to feed the coral. I would not recommend keeping any sort of "C.U.C" in the tank. You can clean the glass yourself, and while you feed make sure it all goes into the animals mouth that you're trying to feed. (IMO this goes for ALL tanks, less a couple Nassarius or similar to help churn sand some).

Personally I enjoy keeping an "odd-ball" fish in frag systems - one that I would/could not mix into my DT, like a small angler or dwarf lionfish.

On the flip side this is exactly what Amino Acids are for. You could easily run it fishless and occassionally add a little Amino Acids to the system that will feed the coral. Of course if you're keeping "meat-loving LPS" in there, you can just spot-feed them and allow the rest of the coral to feed off of that waste...

I didn't vote because I've ran both a few times and they both work like a champ!

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont only because mine is tied into my main tank and have to run the frag tank lights at a different time due to heat in the summer. Im at work most of the time its on so they would not get feed like they need to be.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, I try to keep the bio load down as much as possible in a frag tank. I'm also just nervous bc there's nothing but corals in the tank(I don't have live rock in my frag tank) thàt they might nip!

kgehrke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it both ways. I really enjoyed not having fish in there because you didn't have to worry about feeding and bio load nearly as much. I now just have one fish and am happy with it.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to add some more into my frag tank as my colors were just not the same.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally keep fish in my frag tank as well. Stunreefer had an awesome idea with the dwarf lionfish. I never thought about that. What an awesome way to add even more diversity to ones collection of the reef! I think it also helps having the fish in there for the whole cycle aspect of it.

Eric

OP
OP
F

fashionphile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now all i have is a couple of rotting krill shrimp to help aid in the cycle process
Beware about the dwarf lions.. I had one in my 26 open top and about 2 weeks ago it jumped and found him dried on the floor . didnt think a lion would jump.. i dunno maybe a bug flew over?
however I think one of those anglers is a fantastic idea..

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had fish in my frag tank when it was set up back in the day mainly for algae control and pest control

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware about the dwarf lions.. I had one in my 26 open top and about 2 weeks ago it jumped and found him dried on the floor . didnt think a lion would jump.. i dunno maybe a bug flew over?
When I worked at a LFS back in the day the "store pet", Bob, a 14" Volitan lionfish jumped out of his tank as I walked past... I heard a loud splash-clap noise and as I spun around I see Bob in mid-air aiming straight for me :neutral: :cry: :sad: :neutral:

I managed to escape that (however he had stung me before - not fun) and Bob was fine... shaken up, but fine once I placed him back into the tank.

IMO, ALL aqauriums with fish must have a top on them. It's a sure-fire way to save lives, and seems how we really, truly care about these animals it's only right to keep 'em IN the tank.

Bob's tank had eggcrate on it, but another ignorant co-worker apparently forgot to place the weights back on top after removing them - needless to say I gave him a piece of my mind after the incident.

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with just couple in my frag system. Now the frag tank is my "frag-quarium." But all the fish add food for the corals and frags. Its sometimes difficult to feed the acans, though, as the fish like to steal the food. All in all, everything is doing great.

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A black ocellaris clown (for now) and an algae blenny for algae control. This tank also has pep's to control aiptasia and emerald crabs for bubble algae.

TonyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes. A wrasse for flatworms and a virgate rabbitfish for algae control.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I've kept in a frag system were some damsels and a lawnmower blenny.

Bruder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six-line and a tomini tang in my tank. Both of them have "jobs" and do them well.

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank 1: Mystery Wrasse / Zebra Blenny / Marshal Island Mimic Tang
Tank 2: Potter's Wrasse / Zebra Blenny / Kole Tang

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back