Do you keep your sumps dirty or clean?

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm curious how others maintain their sumps, and if there is a benefit to keeping it somewhat messy, or if its best to clean it regularly. How does everyone here tend to their sumps?

Currently I have a bunch of pineapple sponges popping up on the walls of my sump, and some trace amounts of detritus on the floor of sump. I do not run a refugium, but I suspect that might change sump maintenance as well. I realize that dirty and clean are relative terms, so for this use my description above to mean dirty (and maybe one could go dirtier?), and clean to mean nothing growing and nothing on the floor of the sump.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean detritus from the sump, only because I am actively trying to keep nutrient levels down. If you don't have a nutrient problem, why do it? A lot of people don't, including Dr. Randy. Just depends on the goals of your tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dirty look doesn't hurt but I like it to look clean! HA! Almost impossible to keep it that way.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty dirty dirty. Gotta have something nasty in the mix. I've always kept it dirty and my tank pristine. I really only clean it out when I have to clean the return and even then I only clean out the return section.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys suck the detritus out with a water change anyways ? My sump is at floor level so getting a syphon going down there is next to impossible

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys suck the detritus out with a water change anyways ? My sump is at floor level so getting a syphon going down there is next to impossible
wet dry vac. You can get a siphon to work at floor level though. The crappy hand pump kind isn't going to work. It's gross, but the ol' suction with your mouth method definitely works... :eek::eek::eek:

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep mine spotless. When I designed my water change setup, I made sure that I included a way to attach a soft hose to it and just vacuum out the sump any time I do a water change.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, I have a little ol Syncra 2.0 with silicon hosing just for that. Attaches to intake and output and cleans out sump quick. Even does it at floor level so I don't have to get nasty sump water in my mouth

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot bucket head wet/dry. Sump is clean on the bottom, full of pineapple sponges on the sides.

Best $20 I've ever spent. I used to use a small pump attached to a hose, but the bucket shop vac with the little 1/4" hose attachment kit make the job super easy and I know exactly how much water to replace once the vac stops :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best $20 I've ever spent. I used to use a small pump attached to a hose, but the bucket shop vac with the little 1/4" hose attachment kit make the job super easy and I know exactly how much water to replace once the vac stops :)

That's how I clean mine as well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot bucket head wet/dry. Sump is clean on the bottom, full of pineapple sponges on the sides.

That's how I clean mine as well.

I never thought of that. Can you use it to clean gravel in the DT or is it too strong for that?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back