Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I name my fish when they leave QT and enter my DT :)

Bartholomew & Sinclair:
20200913_215242.jpg

Jaque:
20201009_083713.jpg

Ophelia:
20201019_195850.jpg

Rasputin
20201019_190528.jpg

Fifi:
20201007_162616.jpg

Pablo:
20201103_223742.jpg

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Harry Potter theme because I let my kids name the first few. As murphy would have it, if I pick a name of a character in the book who dies, that fish dies too. (Spoiler alert). I've lost Fred, Mad-eye and Voldemort. I was late recognizing ich in my QT and I lost all but one. He will, of course, be Harry, the fish who lived.

The problem now is that I have to go back and read the books carefully before choosing names.

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my "main" single specimen fish have names, but the schooling fish get a group name.

- "Roger" (male lyretail anthias) and his harem (4 females).
-The picky beatches club (7 purple queen anthias)
-The Zebra gang (6 banghai cardinals)
-The bloods (7 green chromies)
-The Cripts (5 yellowtail damsels)

Tang gang:
Vlad (vlamingii)
Marvin (unicorn)
Gemini triplets (3 Gems)
Bubbles, Steamy, and mist (3 yellows)
Popeye (sailfin)
Prince (purple)
Scarface (lavender)
Reservoir dogs themed tangs:
Mr Blonde (Blonde naso)
Mr Orange (Achilles)
Mr Blue (powder blue)
Mr Brown (powder brown)
Mr Pink (Chevron)
Mr White (white tail)

Wrasse posse:

Solo (Solon)
Bullet (blue streak cleaner)
Scarlet (ruby head)
The Carpenters (male/female carpenter)

Melvin (Foxface)
Violet (orchid dottyback)
Gill (moorish idol)
Bonny and Clyde (pair of bluethroat triggers)
Nemo and Helen (pair of oscellaris clowns)
The three stooges: Moe's, Larry, Curly (3 Pyramid butterflies).
Rocco (blue dotted jawface, )
Jewel (Diamond goby)
Casper (engineer goby)
Grumpy (yellow watchman goby)
Tweety (canary blenny)
Cyrus (Midas blenny)
Joker (royal gramma)
Mike and Elsa (Pair of swallowtail angels)

Only a few inverts are named.

Biggest zebra hermit crab is Mr Krabbs, long spine black urchin is Spikey, Pink pincushion urchin is Mrs Spikey, Jacques the fire shrimp, Patrick (All 7 sandsifter stars are Patrick), all snails are Gary, Romaine and Iceberg (two lettuce slugs), Clint (pistol shrimp), Kraken (serpent star), Turd (sea cucumber), Dick and Harriet (Coral banded shrimps), Lexi and Gina (sexy shrimps).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my "main" single specimen fish have names, but the schooling fish get a group name.

- "Roger" (male lyretail anthias) and his harem (4 females).
-The picky ******* club (7 purple queen anthias)
-The Zebra gang (6 banghai cardinals)
-The bloods (7 green chromies)
-The Cripts (5 yellowtail damsels)

Tang gang:
Vlad (vlamingii)
Marvin (unicorn)
Gemini triplets (3 Gems)
Bubbles, Steamy, and mist (3 yellows)
Popeye (sailfin)
Prince (purple)
Scarface (lavender)
Reservoir dogs themed tangs:
Mr Blonde (Blonde naso)
Mr Orange (Achilles)
Mr Blue (powder blue)
Mr Brown (powder brown)
Mr Pink (Chevron)
Mr White (white tail)

Wrasse posse:

Solo (Solon)
Bullet (blue streak cleaner)
Scarlet (ruby head)
The Carpenters (male/female carpenter)

Violet (orchid dottyback)
Gill (moorish idol)
Bonny and Clyde (pair of bluethroat triggers)
Nemo and Helen (pair of oscellaris clowns)
The three stooges: Moe's, Larry, Curly (3 Pyramid butterflies).
Rocco (blue dotted jawface, )
Jewel (Diamond goby)
Casper (engineer goby)
Grumpy (yellow watchman goby)
Twenty (canary blenny)
Cyrus (Midas blenny)
Joker (royal gramma)
Mike and Elsa (Pair of swallowtail angels)

Only a few inverts are named.

Biggest zebra hermit crab is Mr Krabbs, long spine black urchin is Spikey, Pink pincushion urchin is Mrs Spikey, Jacques the fire shrimp, Patrick (All 7 sandsifter stars are Patrick), all snails are Gary, Romaine and Iceberg (two lettuce slugs), Clint (pistol shrimp), Kraken (serpent star), Turd (sea cucumber), Dick and Harriet (Coral banded shrimps), Lexi and Gina (sexy shrimps).
These are all in one tank? you have 5 yellow tail damsels together and they don't kill each other? you have like 15 tangs and they aren't trying to kill each other?? are you fish Jesus?! I absolutely love the names too! hadn't thought about naming schools together! that is a neat idea!!

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J
These are all in one tank? you have 5 yellow tail damsels together and they don't kill each other? you have like 15 tangs and they aren't trying to kill each other?? are you fish Jesus?! I absolutely love the names too! hadn't thought about naming schools together! that is a neat idea!!
Yes, they're all in 1 tank. 84x48x32 (560 gallons). The tank is wide enough, and with enough hideouts for all to have their own territory. The yellowtail damsels on occasion will chase each other or one of the chromies, but because of the numbers, and the size of the tank, there's no persistent aggression on any one individual.

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. My Achilles tang is bigger than both the powder blue, and powder brown (those two are same size). The Achilles is the "Alpha" tang and keeps the more aggressive powder blue in check. Had the blue been the biggest one, it may have been a serious problem, but as is..the pecking order has been set and stabilized. The Gems are bigger than the yellows and purple, and sorta keep that from being an issue. My unicorn and vlamingii act like the "bouncers" and buffer in between the power blue on occasion when he gets aggressive with one of the yellows. All in all, very little aggression nowadays.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J

Yes, they're all in 1 tank. 84x48x32 (560 gallons). The tank is wide enough, and with enough hideouts for all to have their own territory. The yellowtail damsels on occasion will chase each other or one of the chromies, but because of the numbers, and the size of the tank, there's no persistent aggression on any one individual.
I want a tank like that someday, but also just the thought of all those fish together gives me heartburn. oh my god I don't know how you got through the first few weeks of waiting to see if it would work out! I got nervous adding a royal gramma to a tank with only two clowns in it!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. My Achilles tang is bigger than both the powder blue, and powder brown (those two are same size). The Achilles is the "Alpha" tang and keeps the more aggressive powder blue in check. Had the blue been the biggest one, it may have been a serious problem, but as is..the pecking order has been set and stabilized. The Gems are bigger than the yellows and purple, and sorta keep that from being an issue. My unicorn and vlamingii act like the "bouncers" and buffer in between the power blue on occasion when he gets aggressive with one of the yellows. All in all, very little aggression nowadays.
Forgot to add. you are almost definitely fish jesus.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like, I legit started a long thread on here debating whether or not it was safe to add a tomini tang to a tank with a coral beauty angel. (TL;DR I did, and he's awesome) but like, god, I could not imagine the stress of adding all your fish and wondering if it will work out. how do you do that??

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two kids in the house = Clownfish "Sunkist" and "Fanta" (Not sure if the brand names translate globally - both Orange soft drinks)...

The kids have named all the others - up to and including all the snails, but I'll (a) Admit not to remembering their names and (b) Hope the kids aren't monitoring my posts on Reef2Reef.com !

Traian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like, I legit started a long thread on here debating whether or not it was safe to add a tomini tang to a tank with a coral beauty angel. (TL;DR I did, and he's awesome) but like, god, I could not imagine the stress of adding all your fish and wondering if it will work out. how do you do that??
My tangs were all added in 3 big groups. I planned this for a long time while the tank was in the setup stage. The first fish in were the chromies (they cycled the tank), then all the small peaceful fish (cardinals, anthias, gobies, blennies, etc). When those were established I did the first group of tangs (the least aggressive) naso, vlamingii, unicorn, lavender, white tail. After a week I added the zebrosomas all at once (yellows, Gems, purple), then a week later the Achilles, powder blue, powder brown. I was very careful not only in the order of introduction, but on the size of the specimens. The more delicate and more expensive ones (Achilles, Gems) were intentionally picked of a bigger size than the more aggressive ones. The result is more than a dozen tangs living together peacefully now.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs were all added in 3 big groups. I planned this for a long time while the tank was in the setup stage. The first fish in were the chromies (they cycled the tank), then all the small peaceful fish (cardinals, anthias, gobies, blennies, etc). When those were established I did the first group of tangs (the least aggressive) naso, vlamingii, unicorn, lavender, white tail. After a week I added the zebrosomas all at once (yellows, Gems, purple), then a week later the Achilles, powder blue, powder brown. I was very careful not only in the order of introduction, but on the size of the specimens. The more delicate and more expensive ones (Achilles, Gems) were intentionally picked of a bigger size than the more aggressive ones. The result is more than a dozen tangs living together peacefully now.
that is just incredible. dang, I really hope I can do something like that some day!

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gf and I did not name them all. But we named our cleaner shrimp, pepe le shrimp (since a he's a skunk shrimp) and our goby is gobes. I have 2 clowns a fire fish and 2 blue green chromis but have not named them.

I hate to say it one of the chromis's almost got the name ***hole well because he or she is huge bully.

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love fifi! What kind of fish is it?
Fifi is an Oriental Sweetlips !

Juvenile and will look completely different as an adult and grow over 2ft. I loved him so much when I saw him wiggling around at the LFS. He looks like a cross between a koi fish + clown fish. Got a big jaw and when I hand feed he's got a bite! :oops:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back