• Only when lights ON

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a UV sterilizer for my 29 gallon mixed reef (Coralife Turbo-Twist 9w). I was wondering how many of you run a UV sterilizer and what you've noticed from running them, both the good and the bad?

Do you run your UV sterilizer 24 hours, or only during certain times of the day?

Please share any information you've personally gathered from running a UV sterilizer.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run one on my wife's 60 gallon seahorse tank only to minimize the bacteria because of their sensitivity to high levels found in captivity.

Honestly IMO I don't know if I would use one for anything else, I know some people report crystal clear water, but you have to have a longer UV tube for it to truly be effective for the cost.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We run one on my wife's 60 gallon seahorse tank only to minimize the bacteria because of their sensitivity to high levels found in captivity.

Honestly IMO I don't know if I would use one for anything else, I know some people report crystal clear water, but you have to have a longer UV tube for it to truly be effective for the cost.

I've read that the length of time the water is in contact with the bulb is what makes them efficient. The one I ordered has the water spiral around the bulb to increase exposure time, while keeping the unit fairly compact. I hope his is true and not just marketing gimmicks. Reviews are positive from others.

I'm hoping to battle my dino problem. During lights on, my sand is covered with a red layer...I've tried everything to control this. When lights are off the layer disappears and I believe enters the water column. This is when I hope the UV sterilizer would be effective in destroying the dinos.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the easiest method to beat dinos is to black out your tank for 72 hours. Turn off your lights, cover the tank (I use black trash bags - cloth still allows too much light to pass through), wait the 72 hours then uncover the tank. If dinos are still present repeat after one full light cycle (24 hours). Corals and fish just think it is a really long night and don't even really need to be fed.

I will add one caveat - if you have an anemone this will really make it mad, I have read recommendations to do 2-3 back to back 48 hour black outs (48 black - then normal light cycle, repeat).

If dinos are all you're battling you could have saved yourself the $ for the UV sterilizer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back