Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there was a thread previously on spot feeding Acans, but what about other corals? Do you spot feed anything, or add phytoplankton, rotifers or anything to the water for feeding? If so what do you use? Do you think its increased or sped up growth?

I spot feed at least once a week to most of my LPS, I vary it up which ones get feed from time to time. It would be way too time consuming to spot feed everything weekly. I usually give some mysis to my chalices, fungia plate, acans, and now my new scoly. Most everything else has to fend for its self catching food out of the water column. I also add some phytoplankton about once a week. Maybe once every couple weeks a bit of rotifers as well.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i spot feed my shark squid and my 3 nems get spot feed i just add phyto to my tank for my kenya trees and and my gsp

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't spot feed anything. Sps, lps, softies, nems, nothing. I feed the fish everyday and that's it. I don't have anything in my tanks that would benefit from phyto so I don't use it.

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my LPS I use reef chili and my dendro also gets mysis other day. My SPS I feed zooplex and oyster feast a few times a week...I have some golden pearl too but I don't use it often.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not spot feed. There is no need for my tank to be spot fed. Usually, the tank just ends up with leftover mysis from the seahorse tank. 2-3 times a week I will feed a mix of scallops, nori, and emerald entree to the tank.

tangs are awsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year of feeding my corals every other day and feeding my fish daily I acquired a bad phosphate problem. Lots of hair algae. After breaking down my entire tank changing my sub straight, loading 100 lbs of rock in to a trash can with a phosphate sponge, and losing a couple of my favored fish in the process. I have now found that less is more. I feed my corals once a week. I no longer worry about any of my fish getting fed, and have found my protein skimmer just as active without all of the food. Stop worrying about food in your tank. Keep the parameters of the water as close to perfect as possible, 10 % water changes weekly, and stop polluting your tank. Turn off your filters, try to spot feed if you can with marine snow, and be patient. Nothing good happens fast, nothing fast is quality, and fast quality doesn't exist. I have a 100 gal corner acrylic tank with a big protein skimmer, phosban reactor, 30 gal refugium, lots of live rock, 2 18" x 20" led 2 wat blue white combo. some sps and lps. TO MUCH FOOD MAKES FOR A LOT OF PROBLEMS.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed a bubble coral because when I was gone for a year it died off to a nub. Since spot feeding the three spots have made a come back.

What I really want to know is will my SPS benefit from phyto or coral frenzy. I keep reading different reviews that SPS do not need anything but light.

OP
OP
k2parkstar

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an SWC 160 on a 45g cube. The skimmer is rated for 2-3x my water volume. I don't feed fish more than they can eat. Spot fed corals eat whats fed to them. I only put a few drops of the phyto in. I run carbon, gfo, and a phosphate filter. Been doing that for a year now with no real issues.

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not spot feed when my DT was up- just hand fed the carpet nem....everything else was basically a broadcast feeding 6am, 3pm, 10pm. Fish first- then corals. For afternoon feedings, my son would add some frozen cubes of mysis and cyclop-eez into the refugium afterschool.... as it thawed it sprayed out in a quick afternoon snack for all in the tank:)

bjledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed mysis and cyclo peeze at least once a week and givr my bubble coral and two gbtas a piece of krill twice a week

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed my fish -- leave the anemones (( S. haddoni, E. quadricolor and M. doreensis )), corals, mainly Xenia, zoas and SPS, and clams alone.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed every once in awhile and everything gets fed, even the SPS.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed everything here and there. If it looks hungry it will get some mysis, pellets or phyto at night

bob

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my LPS every other day and Sun Coral every day. I feed a mix of mysis, CyclopEeze, RotiFeast, and OysterFeast. I do roughly 40% (4g out of 10g water volume) water changes every week and harvest almost a cup of Caulerpa while I'm siphoning. Micro Brittlestars don't stay micro for long in my tank lol.

In my softie tank I just squirt this mix at the koralia twice a day to feed the fish. Within minutes most of the softies seem to have caught some food that the fish and shrimp didn't get first. This tank has a skimmer and gets 20% (5g out of 25g water volume) water changes every week.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back