Do your own thing

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the pleasure of helping many people grow in this hobby. I typically advocate starting off small & easy, and then work up to something bigger & better as skills get sharpened and finances allow. The way I see it, the smaller tank can always be repurposed into a QT or frag tank down the road. It delights me to see how people get such a kick out of their mushrooms spreading from one rock to another, or watching their pair of juvenile clownfish mature and begin laying eggs. Some even take on the challenge of rearing the fry and that leads to a greater interest in breeding marine fish in general.

However, once you feel you've mastered the basics, and propagating soft corals & LPS comes easy you will then find yourself at a crossroads .....

Most reefers move onto SPS at this point, and "fish people" generally start looking for rarer fish/hybrids. A regular Copperband Butterfly just doesn't do it for ya anymore, so you start looking for a Muelleri. ;) And for many this is the natural progression of a greater challenge which keeps them interested in the hobby. But for some it actually causes the opposite effect...

You had no problem growing Euphyllia & Candy Canes, and yet all these new expensive Chalices & Acans are dying. Acros are bleaching and you're having trouble keeping up with supplement demand. Of course, many eventually get it figured out by getting their nitrates down and investing in reactors instead of manual dosing. But some keep throwing money down the toilet, or find they miss their $30 Lemonpeel Angel because the $150 Golden Angelfish hides all day. :p

I've seen many continue down this self destructive path until they finally get burned out and leave the hobby. They keep struggling with this bigger & better system, and it becomes a chore instead of something fun. Maybe job and family commitments no longer afford you the time you once had to play with your aquarium? ;) What can you do?

GO BACK TO WHAT MADE YOU HAPPY. You aren't in competition with anyone. I won't look down on you because you keep xenia and other easy corals. Or don't have the most expensive fish. ;) It's like people think once they've reached the zenith, they can never go back to just having a low maintenance aquarium. Maybe its peer pressure, you want your tank to look as nice or better than your buddy's. Listen, I've kept just about every kind of SW aquarium you can imagine. And the one I reminisce the most about was a tank full of xenia where I could put any "not reef safe" fish in and not have to worry about it. So if you find yourself lost right now with your current setup, remember you can always go back to just doing your own thing. :)

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the perspective. 30 years ago I started a 29G saltwater tank and was always told that the bigger the tank the better because it is more stable. So when I got back in and away from freshwater, I wanted a 120 but settled for a 75. While parameters do not swing as quickly in my larger tank than they did in my 29, it is so much harder to get them back where I want them if I neglect anything. I will never again ask why someone started with a 30G at the $1/G sale when for $25 more they could have gotten a 55.

Thank you Humblefish!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks HumbleFish!!!
For all those people telling me my BC29 and now 56g aren't big enough ... :p
HumbleFish says it is ok for me to keep what makes me comfortable!!;)
No, he said it will be ok for you to want to go back to a 56g tank if you don't like the 220 gallon tank we all think you should have! :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had the pleasure of helping many people grow in this hobby. I typically advocate starting off small & easy, and then work up to something bigger & better as skills get sharpened and finances allow. The way I see it, the smaller tank can always be repurposed into a QT or frag tank down the road. It delights me to see how people get such a kick out of their mushrooms spreading from one rock to another, or watching their pair of juvenile clownfish mature and begin laying eggs. Some even take on the challenge of rearing the fry and that leads to a greater interest in breeding marine fish in general.

However, once you feel you've mastered the basics, and propagating soft corals & LPS comes easy you will then find yourself at a crossroads .....

Most reefers move onto SPS at this point, and "fish people" generally start looking for rarer fish/hybrids. A regular Copperband Butterfly just doesn't do it for ya anymore, so you start looking for a Muelleri. ;) And for many this is the natural progression of a greater challenge which keeps them interested in the hobby. But for some it actually causes the opposite effect...

You had no problem growing Euphyllia & Candy Canes, and yet all these new expensive Chalices & Acans are dying. Acros are bleaching and you're having trouble keeping up with supplement demand. Of course, many eventually get it figured out by getting their nitrates down and investing in reactors instead of manual dosing. But some keep throwing money down the toilet, or find they miss their $30 Lemonpeel Angel because the $150 Golden Angelfish hides all day. :p

I've seen many continue down this self destructive path until they finally get burned out and leave the hobby. They keep struggling with this bigger & better system, and it becomes a chore instead of something fun. Maybe job and family commitments no longer afford you the time you once had to play with your aquarium? ;) What can you do?

GO BACK TO WHAT MADE YOU HAPPY. You aren't in competition with anyone. I won't look down on you because you keep xenia and other easy corals. Or don't have the most expensive fish. ;) It's like people think once they've reached the zenith, they can never go back to just having a low maintenance aquarium. Maybe its peer pressure, you want your tank to look as nice or better than your buddy's. Listen, I've kept just about every kind of SW aquarium you can imagine. And the one I reminisce the most about was a tank full of xenia where I could put any "not reef safe" fish in and not have to worry about it. So if you find yourself lost right now with your current setup, remember you can always go back to just doing your own thing. :)

Very nicely said! Great reminder and agreed 100%! Do what you enjoy because you like it and not because it's the "thing" to do! For me I have a dedicated little xenia tank filling up! :D

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nicely said! Great reminder and agreed 100%! Do what you enjoy because you like it and not because it's the "thing" to do! For me I have a dedicated little xenia tank filling up! :D
Pictures or it doesn't exist ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive soft corals provided this Pink Spot Goby with "furniture" for his house :p:

100_2377_zpse343e5e9.jpg

Inexpensive fish and xenia living in perfect harmony:

100_2418_zpscb3672f6.jpg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive soft corals provided this Pink Spot Goby with "furniture" for his house :p:

100_2377_zpse343e5e9.jpg

Inexpensive fish and xenia living in perfect harmony:

100_2418_zpscb3672f6.jpg
Keep showing your tanks, I might need to get a frag from you one day. :D:D:D

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my own thing is to always keep improving... If it became stale... I'd be bored and quit in a heartbeat. That's why I enjoy this hobby so much... always something new. I'm just hardwired this way... so I do what I do. I could imagine a lot of people in the hobby are wired the same way... especially those that torture themselves with SPS. [emoji4]

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was an amazing post, I am just starting and I had a very bad experience that almost made me leave and give up. I love to research but sometimes there just isnt the answer your looking for. So you ask questions. PLEASE don't give unless you feel that your fishy's arn't makin ya float anymore. I really think long and hard the last few days trying to get over the things said to me and if I really wanted to do the saltwater dream. Don't let anyone influence you, take your time, close your eyes and remember what first made you smile, that salty thing that could couldn't get out of your mind. then you can decide . I myself had to make that choice and it's hard. BUT DO what makes YOU happy, what tickles your feather duster, and you will be very happy in your choice;)

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is still up & running, but I'm currently only using it as a holding tank for "Petco rescues" I treat. Most of the livestock has been sold/rehomed in anticipation of an upcoming move.
this does not mean your leaving us dose it! I kinda like you:p

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back