Does anyone else enjoy DIY as much as livestock?

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this hobby and I’ve come to learn that the DIY portion seems to be just as satisfying as routine tank maintenance and even placing corals. I started with a heavily modded Biocube 29g that I purchased from someone getting out of the hobby. It was basically a rescue mission and I just feel really accomplished with the results. Anyways here’s Wonderwall

Before:
ED31CDC3-ADCB-46F0-98D8-D45E2FE8A122.png

After:
5A5D3F7A-4DB1-4F15-88F9-1B8E188355CE.jpeg

6576C109-D743-4DC7-B001-BC87FA849446.jpeg

I made a couple of brackets out of lexan and added a nice concealed top.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in ready engineering and a tinkerer by nature. I love diy problem solving especially filtration. Plus I'm pretty thrifty so I like saving money
I am an industrial maintenance technician so this hobby is right up my tinkering alley. Lol I am also thrifty! I made my own ATO system and it works, but keeps flipping my breaker because I live in an older apartment complex and I think they daisy chained nearly all the outlets together, so it was overloaded.
510DE420-D579-4C5C-ACCF-BCF6CD2A913A.jpeg

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I am always tinkering with something hobby-related. This is all a work in progress, and I think I would be a little sad if all I had to do was sit back and look at the tank.
Exactly! I love trying to improve things. Lol today I nearly gave myself a heart attack when I pulled my protein skimmer out of the first chamber and dropped in a media bag full of porous pebbles to increase my surface area. I didn’t turn off my return pump and the displacement of removing the skimmer while I was making adjustments made it seem like the back of the AIO was going to overflow!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an industrial maintenance technician so this hobby is right up my tinkering alley. Lol I am also thrifty! I made my own ATO system and it works, but keeps flipping my breaker because I live in an older apartment complex and I think they daisy chained nearly all the outlets together, so it was overloaded.
That's a little scary looking, hoping you have that line voltage relay in an enclosure or something!

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a little scary looking, hoping you have that line voltage relay in an enclosure or something!
The only part with “exposed line voltage” is where the yellow electrical tape is. I had it mounted on denrail with a lexan cover around the top with silicone all the way around ☺️

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only part with “exposed line voltage” is where the yellow electrical tape is. I had it mounted on denrail with a lexan cover around the top with silicone all the way around ☺
Glad to hear it, figured you had safed it somehow but you never know. Sometimes I see stuff and just have to raise my hand! FWIW, for things like that I have also used relays-in-a-box (RIBs), they are fully enclosed and all you need to do is figure out how to isolate the low and high voltage sides.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it, figured you had safed it somehow but you never know. Sometimes I see stuff and just have to raise my hand! FWIW, for things like that I have also used relays-in-a-box (RIBs), they are fully enclosed and all you need to do is figure out how to isolate the low and high voltage sides.
I’ve never been shocked and I’d like to keep it that way! Haha I made it at work and some of the maintenance guys were teasing me saying that I was making an electric chair for my fish. I will look into the RIBs.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's what I wish I went into. I spend more time than I care to in a cube and meetings.

I thought about my own ato but ato.com was like $70 shipped. I dont have access to free 99 supplies like I use to.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I wish I went into. I spend more time than I care to in a cube and meetings.

I thought about my own ato but ato.com was like $70 shipped. I dont have access to free 99 supplies like I use to.

No way any of this was free 99 from my employer lol

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this hobby and I’ve come to learn that the DIY portion seems to be just as satisfying as routine tank maintenance and even placing corals. I started with a heavily modded Biocube 29g that I purchased from someone getting out of the hobby. It was basically a rescue mission and I just feel really accomplished with the results. Anyways here’s Wonderwall

Before:
ED31CDC3-ADCB-46F0-98D8-D45E2FE8A122.png

After:
5A5D3F7A-4DB1-4F15-88F9-1B8E188355CE.jpeg

6576C109-D743-4DC7-B001-BC87FA849446.jpeg

I made a couple of brackets out of lexan and added a nice concealed top.
Me love it!!!! Thanks for sharing, comrade

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to not use line voltage for anything run on a relay.

I use a double float setup for a backup in case the first one sticks or otherwise malfunctions.

I also put everything in a project box with an oring seal. Check on aliexpress for them they are inexpensive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back