Does anyone else enjoy DIY as much as livestock?

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to not use line voltage for anything run on a relay.

I use a double float setup for a backup in case the first one sticks or otherwise malfunctions.

I also put everything in a project box with an oring seal. Check on aliexpress for them they are inexpensive.
I’ll check that out :) thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20171219_201922.jpg

Diy majano wand. Works well when needed.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg that’s so neat! What is that? A resistor and a 12v power supply? How does it work?

12v Walwart adjusted to 9v, stainless steel tip. Anode goes to tip, cathode to carbon. (carpenter's pencil lead) switch interrupts current till switched. (Mounted on PVC pipe)

Reaction between them creates hydrogen gas. This gas destroys their tissue.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12v Walwart adjusted to 9v, stainless steel tip. Anode goes to tip, cathode to carbon. (carpenter's pencil lead)

Reaction between them creates hydrogen gas. This gas destroys their tissue.
Wow, that is so interesting! I love that lol I bet it’d come in really handy in a large tank where it can be hard to remove rocks.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is so interesting! I love that lol I bet it’d come in really handy in a large tank where it can be hard to remove rocks.

It can, but word of caution with it's use is two fold.

One: gas can accumulate in the water collum, so limited use at any given time.

Two: as tissue is destroyed, tissue can be released into the water collum, thus spreading them throughout the tank. I don't have a update picture of it, but I rebuilt it inside a gravel vacuum to syphon the tissue out during use.

And..... The carbon gets eroded with use, must be replaced depending on how often it's used.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an industrial maintenance technician so this hobby is right up my tinkering alley. Lol I am also thrifty! I made my own ATO system and it works, but keeps flipping my breaker because I live in an older apartment complex and I think they daisy chained nearly all the outlets together, so it was overloaded.
510DE420-D579-4C5C-ACCF-BCF6CD2A913A.jpeg
Yep, I made one of those as well except I added high/low float switches

fPJrcASl.jpg

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy DIY, but for simplicity sake/ overall looks sake my next tank im planning is gunna be bought and a nice stand, my first tank was diy'ed cabinet, sump, and it works but not the best looking haha

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can, but word of caution with it's use is two fold.

One: gas can accumulate in the water collum, so limited use at any given time.

Two: as tissue is destroyed, tissue can be released into the water collum, thus spreading them throughout the tank. I don't have a update picture of it, but I rebuilt it inside a gravel vacuum to syphon the tissue out during use.

And..... The carbon gets eroded with use, must be replaced depending on how often it's used.
I can tell some serious thought went into the design! When you get a chance I’d love to see an updated picture of it with the siphon attached. That’s really awesome and I don’t think they even sell them like that.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I made one of those as well except I added high/low float switches

fPJrcASl.jpg
Nice. So your wiring requires that both switches are in the down position to actuate the pump, right? Redundancy is a great way to have some insurance on your DIY projects haha

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy DIY, but for simplicity sake/ overall looks sake my next tank im planning is gunna be bought and a nice stand, my first tank was diy'ed cabinet, sump, and it works but not the best looking haha
It can be hard to make things look nice, but since I’m just getting into the hobby and I’m not rich, DIY will save me some cashola so I have more to spend on corals :)

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made one of those as well,

I showed this picture to the owner of my LFS who has been helping me get my tank set up and she said that these were likely a type of aptasia. In my inexperience I thought they were a coral and did my best to save them when I was transporting the tank lol. When I found out they were a nuisance, I removed the rock and cut them all off with a razor blade and then squirted the rock with boiling hot water. None have popped back up yet.
D05243DB-E945-464F-A1FB-D94898943075.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball nems above...
It’s just vinegar but I am always super careful. I only spray it on my paper towels. What do you use?

I only use fresh water to wipe down and then a dry towle to buff...

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am new to this hobby and I’ve come to learn that the DIY portion seems to be just as satisfying as routine tank maintenance and even placing corals. I started with a heavily modded Biocube 29g that I purchased from someone getting out of the hobby. It was basically a rescue mission and I just feel really accomplished with the results. Anyways here’s Wonderwall

Before:
ED31CDC3-ADCB-46F0-98D8-D45E2FE8A122.png

After:
5A5D3F7A-4DB1-4F15-88F9-1B8E188355CE.jpeg

6576C109-D743-4DC7-B001-BC87FA849446.jpeg

I made a couple of brackets out of lexan and added a nice concealed top.

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this hobby and I’ve come to learn that the DIY portion seems to be just as satisfying as routine tank maintenance and even placing corals. I started with a heavily modded Biocube 29g that I purchased from someone getting out of the hobby. It was basically a rescue mission and I just feel really accomplished with the results. Anyways here’s Wonderwall

Before:
ED31CDC3-ADCB-46F0-98D8-D45E2FE8A122.png

After:
5A5D3F7A-4DB1-4F15-88F9-1B8E188355CE.jpeg

6576C109-D743-4DC7-B001-BC87FA849446.jpeg

I made a couple of brackets out of lexan and added a nice concealed top.

Think I enjoy the DIY more than the actual hobby. Building the stand, a canopy, a sump. Much more satisfying then just buying it all.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back