Does anyone else enjoy DIY as much as livestock?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plus, while on paper this should be a good light, I won't know more till I get my par meter and have some coral in my tank.

I did throw it over a 40 breeder that will be my sump and liked how it looked.

But hey, I got to tinker and at worst, I learned something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it’s always worth it in the end if I’ve learned something I may be able to apply to other projects. Lol

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I absolutely love the idea of that and I’m pretty good with soldering connections and being very precise when assembling things like that. About how much did everything set you back? And what size tank do you use that for? I’m pretty sure my AI Prime maxes out around 35-40watt at full blast and like you I don’t really use much red/green. For me, my lights are set at like 100% blue and violet plus UV. A little bit of white light but I’m still fine tuning.

I'd have to go back and look through all the receipts, but I'd say roughly $200 per fixture. But knowing what I know now, I could probably do it for a bit less, but not much less. These will go over an SC Aquariums 120 gallon mixed reef.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to go back and look through all the receipts, but I'd say roughly $200 per fixture. But knowing what I know now, I could probably do it for a bit less, but not much less. These will go over an SC Aquariums 120 gallon mixed reef.

Thats a large tank! I love my 29g Biocube but already daydreaming about a larger tank. Haha, I think $200 is pretty much what you’d pay for a base level light, so you may end up with more quality and a tailored fixture that looks the way you like when you make your own.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah it's not cheap as cheap as grabbing a black box (got one anyway to play with) but it gets me a radion equivalent/comparable light for 1/4 of the cost. Plus I get the color I want, control it with Reef pi, and if anything breaks I can fix it without having to send it out or dealing with "sorry you're out of warranty or we can't fix it, buy a new light".

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not cheap as cheap as grabbing a black box (got one anyway to play with) but it gets me a radion equivalent/comparable light for 1/4 of the cost. Plus I get the color I want, control it with Reef pi, and if anything breaks I can fix it without having to send it out or dealing with "sorry you're out of warranty or we can't fix it, buy a new light".
Or if you’re anything like me you’ll try to fix it yourself and totally mess it up hahaha

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build process is the most enjoyable tank phase for me, and the more I can do myself the better. Important to know ones limitations though, and anything related to electronics is that for me. Wood, acrylic, glass .... I’m in. Soldering, wiring ..... I’ll pass.

OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build process is the most enjoyable tank phase for me, and the more I can do myself the better. Important to know ones limitations though, and anything related to electronics is that for me. Wood, acrylic, glass .... I’m in. Soldering, wiring ..... I’ll pass.
I’m better with the electronics than the fabrication. I’m a good welder, but haven’t had much experience dealing with wood work or glass. With metal I can add to or take away from a piece no problem. With wood and glass you better measure like 99 times lol

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of program is needed to program the controller? Sorry for the late reply, I’ve read this several times and it’s a ton of great information. I appreciate you taking the time to share all of this!

Everything you need to know about Ardiuno controller is here.

All their Controller models, Free training, FREE Software (Custom C compiler called SKETCH), Examples, projects, wiring, a Forum just like R2R for help, etc, etc, etc,

Tons of kits with a gazzilon sensors on Amazon.
Just one example. (there are different kinds of kits)

and you can also buy knock off of the Real Ardiuno controllers (like in the kit above), or just the CPU and a USB cable which is all you need to get started. The USB cable will also run Power controller and do programming right off your computer, laptop, etc.

You won't need your soldering iron till after you build something, since I do all by jumper first.
Those controllers above I made are just jumpers, and then I glue gun them solid. Can be easily peeled apart if needed.
These are the best jumpers

But of course cheaper from Aliexpress (WAY CHEAPER!!), ariduno's too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32987024879.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.103d5d1bcPtK1v&algo_pvid=135a7cdd-11be-4d94-981d-0f7b6d4d667a&algo_expid=135a7cdd-11be-4d94-981d-0f7b6d4d667a-1&btsid=d0b3f9da-a1dc-4274-a2bf-8cc15ae8adb3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

As you say. If you love electronics, you will get hooked on this stuff. Sky's the limit.

And electronic Engineers like C programming since it teaches you the fundamentals of digital. You have much more power,control and INSTANT SPEED needed for Sensors, switches, Response... then any other language like PYTHON (which I HATE HATE HATE )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you need to know about Ardiuno controller is here.

All their Controller models, Free training, FREE Software (Custom C compiler called SKETCH), Examples, projects, wiring, a Forum just like R2R for help, etc, etc, etc,

Tons of kits with a gazzilon sensors on Amazon.
Just one example. (there are different kinds of kits)

and you can also buy knock off of the Real Ardiuno controllers (like in the kit above), or just the CPU and a USB cable which is all you need to get started. The USB cable will also run Power controller and do programming right off your computer, laptop, etc.

You won't need your soldering iron till after you build something, since I do all by jumper first.
Those controllers above I made are just jumpers, and then I glue gun them solid. Can be easily peeled apart if needed.
These are the best jumpers

But of course cheaper from Aliexpress (WAY CHEAPER!!), ariduno's too.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32987024879.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.103d5d1bcPtK1v&algo_pvid=135a7cdd-11be-4d94-981d-0f7b6d4d667a&algo_expid=135a7cdd-11be-4d94-981d-0f7b6d4d667a-1&btsid=d0b3f9da-a1dc-4274-a2bf-8cc15ae8adb3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

As you say. If you love electronics, you will get hooked on this stuff. Sky's the limit.

And electronic Engineers like C programming since it teaches you the fundamentals of digital. You have much more power,control and INSTANT SPEED needed for Sensors, switches, Response... then any other language like PYTHON (which I HATE HATE HATE )

What about dosing pumps? I saw a Jebco on amazon but for as simple a setup as it is I thought it was kinda expensive. As small as my setup is, I feel that a dosing pump with a pump for Calcium, alkalinity, and water for a combination of ATO would be perfect. I am going to check out those websites today and drool over all the possibilities lol. It’s awesome that the programming software for that controller is free, otherwise, it probably wouldn’t really come out any cheaper than buying one.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about dosing pumps? I saw a Jebco on amazon but for as simple a setup as it is I thought it was kinda expensive. As small as my setup is, I feel that a dosing pump with a pump for Calcium, alkalinity, and water for a combination of ATO would be perfect. I am going to check out those websites today and drool over all the possibilities lol. It’s awesome that the programming software for that controller is free, otherwise, it probably wouldn’t really come out any cheaper than buying one.

Have you looked into ReefPi as a controller?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, DIY doser isn't going to be cheaper compare to some cheap options out there. But it's about DIY fun, which is learning, and customization. I wouldn't built a DIY Doser, till you become an expert (one wrong thing and Poof your Corals are dead).

An DIY ATO (Ardiuno) program took me 1 day to program.

It took me 9 months to code a proper DIY Doser (Ariduno)
But I made it loaded with features.
DoserFront.jpg

DoserBack.jpg

Here is a working video.

I used a couple of these pumps for my ATO (Cheap) and it's been running two years (hasn't broken), bit loud, makes a putt putt sound.

For my DYI doser, I wanted Kamoer Quality, bit more $ but more quiet, and better quality (There are 12 Volt and 6 Volt versions)

I made my own Water Changer for a 110Gallon Tank+2 more. So these high flow versions are amazing. On sale I got them for $27

Hope these projects give you some DIY ideas.

But look at this for Ready to Go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Strawberry

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into ReefPi as a controller?

I am going to check it out now! Thanks

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to check it out now! Thanks
Yes, that Raspberry PI and the Reef Pi is another option (for a full blown DIY controller)

It's a little more complicated, and many more languages to learn compared to Ardiuno, (if you really want to undertstand it all)

You can just follow the instructions, since the developer is giving you the foundation for a complete controller.

Raspberry PI's are really cheap now too.

Actually for my New DIY ALK MONITOR, I'm using both a Ariduno and Raspberry PI (and they talk to each other). The PI is the Brain, and the Slave controlling everything is a Ardiuno. But that super complex.

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I 've never messed with Arduino so I can't draw a comparison, but I wouldn't call ReefPi complicated. 3 months ago, I knew nothing about Raspberry Pi and was able to put together a ReefPi controller that handles 3 temp probes, controls 8 outlets, pH probe, and controls 8 channels of LED lighting. It also has an ATO module and doser modules already built in (which I'll be utilizing as well), all you need is the right hardware. Also, since it runs on linux you can run a remote desktop client on the Pi and be able to access your controller from you phone/laptop anywhere you have an internet connection.

Best part, required absolutely ZERO coding; good thing too, cause I would be lost in the sauce. Hardware I can do, software...ugh, not so much. And if you grab a Reef Pi hat from Michael Lane (https://www.tindie.com/products/ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-goby/ ) or a Pico Board from theatrus, it makes it a super neat install.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 've never messed with Arduino so I can't draw a comparison, but I wouldn't call ReefPi complicated. 3 months ago, I knew nothing about Raspberry Pi and was able to put together a ReefPi controller that handles 3 temp probes, controls 8 outlets, pH probe, and controls 8 channels of LED lighting. It also has an ATO module and doser modules already built in (which I'll be utilizing as well), all you need is the right hardware. Also, since it runs on linux you can run a remote desktop client on the Pi and be able to access your controller from you phone/laptop anywhere you have an internet connection.

Best part, required absolutely ZERO coding; good thing too, cause I would be lost in the sauce. Hardware I can do, software...ugh, not so much. And if you grab a Reef Pi hat from Michael Lane (https://www.tindie.com/products/ranthalion/ml-reef-pi-hat-goby/ ) or a Pico Board from theatrus, it makes it a super neat install.
My point was, Raspberry Pi and all the stuff to write your own ReefPi (from scratch) is a bit complicated. I mean doing it all yourself.
Doing a ReefPi by instructions is simple, since someone did all the figuring out, coding for you. Then you plug and play with modules, features, and customization.

Ardino is actually more complicated (in some ways) since you have to know the bits and bytes for complex coding. But to turn on a relay, or write to a display, it also simple. (You install libraries)

Ardinos boot in 1/100 of a second. Pi's take about 1 minute.

The difference between the two is Raspberry PI is an operating system (Linux), and software installed like a Windows computer, with a bunch of Ports for controlling stuff. Python and C are the best way to control things. I prefer C.

Ardiuno is Machine code, low level programming (only). Just like a Raspberry PI using "C" code.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back