Does anyone use a Pro-Cal calcium reactor?

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pro Series Pro-Calcium reactor that I have a few questions about.
If anyone uses one I would love to pick your brain a little bit...

Thanks.

Here is a pic of mine... it is empty right now as I'm doing a leak test. :)
DSC_0710.JPG

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so.
I found a video, and got it set up.
Thanks. Wasn't sure how fast the effluent should be flowing... I have it at a steady drip

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rob's Reef
You can also call the owner at marine technical. He is a great source of info and very helpful. He doesnt hear all that well so you have to be a bit patient and he was ill earlier in the year. I have called him with questions over the years. The pro-cal reactor is a heck of a workhorse and very stable. Designed for large tanks but it works wonderfully on my 180 gallon

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and been using it for years. Ask away

I got mine setup, I'm just unsure of where my effluent flow should be. Directions said to run it at .20 to .25 on the needle valve for 3-4 days. But the flow was a constant stream.

Someone else told me it should be a steady drip. So I'm kinda not sure where I should be

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my tank is 300g
Just starting to add hard corals and my alk is dropping so I'm hooking this bad boy up.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactors do indeed need to be "dialed in" just as you are doing. I have my bubble count around 68 bubbles per minute and my effluent at the .30 level. Overtime, I have adjusted the bubble count from 60 over a long period up to the current 69. I had the effluent rate at .25 previously but my alk was dropping because my 100 plus frags and mini-colonies sort of took off recently. I believe I initially started mine at .20 for the effluent needle valve gauge a long time ago and upped it to .25 about 6 months ago and then now to .30. It takes about 3 days or so for a change in the calcium reactor settings to really show up definitively. There is a balance between bubbles per minute and the effluent rate with lots of articles online (google) that describe the interaction quite well. It has been so long since I read those articles that I am at a loss to review them for you--sorry.

So keep checking your alk every few days at least to see where it is heading and you can make small adjustments until it is dialed in. Your effluent setting sounds correct. My calcium reactor effluent flow at .30 is a constant flow but there is break up before it hits the water. At .20 it was a steady drip. I presume there is no issue with your reactor and your effluent flow is likely correct at .20-.25. The best safety check is testing alkalinity daily to make sure you are on the correct path.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that are good to have or at least think about: a really good carbon dioxide regulator. Lots of people like the planted aquarium ones but there is a guy on RC that builds custom ones that I think are better. You can probably go to rc or here on r2r and search for carbon dioxide regulators. I even think he has a help thread to build your own. I found his forum name on rc: alanle, he also suggests a dual stage regulator which will avoid a carbon dioxide dump as the cylinder approaches empty. You also want to consider a solenoid so if there is a power outage, you are not dumping carbon dioxide into the tank.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we resurrect this thread for a quick question.. are you guys noticing it looks like chamber one .. the media is not submerged.. almost like water is running over it and not fully submerged..

Second question.. anyone using the newer fx-stp by Kamoer pump to feed the reactor.. are you pulling the affluent or pushing the tank water.. thanks

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we resurrect this thread for a quick question.. are you guys noticing it looks like chamber one .. the media is not submerged.. almost like water is running over it and not fully submerged..

Second question.. anyone using the newer fx-stp by Kamoer pump to feed the reactor.. are you pulling the affluent or pushing the tank water.. thanks
Mines not hooked up at the moment, had to rearrange some equipment and just haven’t set it back up yet... but the first chamber should be full of water... I remember when first setting it up you have to fill it up as much as possible with water before putting the lid back on, then run it for a few hours with the valves wide open to get all the air bubbles out.
I’m using the original pump.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure about your 1st question.
I don't have the PRO CAL , but the smaller MiniCal and I have been using the Kamoer to pull the effluent from the last chamber. I figured that it would make sense since the reactor is designed to not need a feed pump, as the recirculation pump takes care of that.
I use

OP
OP
Rob's Reef

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they even make these reactors anymore? Nothing ever comes up when I search them.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is back in action.. forgot how great this one is.. I was going to hook up the Kamoer peristaltic pump (did i spell that right? ) .. as i had some issues in past controlling the drip rate.. but for some reason no need to right now. holding steady at 6.54 ph...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm MTC-guy these days LOL (MTC the company is no longer operating). Been running the ProCal for close to 20 years now, but I have modified it quite significantly. Air/gas build up in the primary rubble chamber is almost certainly because the float valve/air purge system never really worked all that well. It requires that the ProCal be run under slight pressure - otherwise the venting doesn't work. I got rid of the float years ago and changed the tubing so that the red tube connects to the secondary chamber. Pulling effluent from the top of the primary chamber means no gas buildup. I personally prefer using a peri pump in pull mode (helps to keep detritus and grit out of the peri tubing), but I don't think it really matters.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey hey calore.. yep... MTC owner was a great guy.. hard to get a hold off at times ..but always there ready to help out. ... I like the idea of taking the venting to the second chamber... How was that done ... ? Meaning lets see a pic.. thanks

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm MTC-guy these days LOL (MTC the company is no longer operating). Been running the ProCal for close to 20 years now, but I have modified it quite significantly. Air/gas build up in the primary rubble chamber is almost certainly because the float valve/air purge system never really worked all that well. It requires that the ProCal be run under slight pressure - otherwise the venting doesn't work. I got rid of the float years ago and changed the tubing so that the red tube connects to the secondary chamber. Pulling effluent from the top of the primary chamber means no gas buildup. I personally prefer using a peri pump in pull mode (helps to keep detritus and grit out of the peri tubing), but I don't think it really matters.
Curious if you have pictures of your modification. What pump do you use, etc? I have had mine about 16 years and the flow meter is not sealing properly. Tried to use silicon to get it working, but think I need to replace it. I have been searching, but cannot find anything that looks the same. Is there something else I can use? I can repair it again, but curious if some other type of flow meter can be incorporated. Thanks.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey. Yes I did that same
Mod. I removed the float also a year ago and run the top of the first now to the second . I have ha d good success with it. I just did a second mod. I added I third chamber. It takes in effluent from the main chamber and returns to the. Main chamber. I also tee off the effluent out of this new chamber to the tank. Not sure on that one yet. Just did it yesterday. See pics

Attachments

• 3786874F-976D-4A9A-9FD7-09A165C3BF62.png
    3786874F-976D-4A9A-9FD7-09A165C3BF62.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • 11C0DFB9-6781-4051-B5BE-A3636D455020.png
    11C0DFB9-6781-4051-B5BE-A3636D455020.png
    344.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 43A65D3B-5E93-4FBF-950A-502DD286D6A0.png
    43A65D3B-5E93-4FBF-950A-502DD286D6A0.png
    391 KB · Views: 106

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note. The pics above do not show my recent modification where I teed off and run some of that new chamber effluent to my DT

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back