Does having a reef packed with corals take up fish space?

Do corals take up fish space in our reef tanks?

• Yes! Obviously! It's something we need to plan for from the start of a tank!

Votes: 290 43.9%
  • No. That's not an issue. Fish will adapt.

Votes: 100 15.1%
  • It is potentially an issue, but not something most reefers should worry about.

Votes: 254 38.4%
  • Umm... could you repeat the question... (Discussion happening in the thread)

Votes: 17 2.6%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so at first brush this question may seem like it has an obvious answer. Still I wonder how many of us have given thought to this. We know that fish need a certain amount of swimming space (how much per species is certainly up for debate), so when we start packing corals into a tank, should we be factoring this in? At what point does it become something we need to worry about? As corals grow, they take up more and more space. We've all seen those reef tanks that are packed to the brim with coral colonies, was there a sacrifice made there to balance livestock (i.e. less fish, smaller fish, less active fish, etc.)? I'm hoping this might be a fun topic for our discussion today. So...

1) Do coral take up fish space in our reef tanks?
2) At what point(s) should this factor into our reef planning?

Photo of @glennf's beautiful packed reef! (You can check out his build thread HERE)
qotd - glennf.jpeg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 99% of tanks I vote #3, not an issue most will ever deal with. I think fish would much rather have some larger corals to hang around all day than the inside of a PVC pipe. It could certainly become a problem if dealing with large aggressive things like carpet Anemones though

(these are problems I wish I had)
EB88B712-82EB-4CA1-86F8-89935D081C34.gif

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start with a plan for your tank as you should then space should never be a real problem. Choose your corals or better still your fish and space will be fine. All to often people change their plan, don't have one or fail to recognise the requirements of their fish or corals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like for the most part - the fish adapt. But - it sometimes surprises me to see people putting 30 frags in a 100 gallon aquarium. If they all grew to the size they should - there would literally be no room . But - as others have said - I think the fish overall appreciate the 'hiding spaces' in most tanks.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
voted number 3

It can be an issue, especially if keeping a larger fish in a tank that is slightly too small. @FishOfHex has many videos on his youtube channel about the vlamingi tang that breaks off colonies of sps.

For most people, it won't be an issue, and more coral will actual lessen aggression because there are less direct lines of sight for fish to have. It can also provide habitat for fish. If you have seen chromis out on a reef, there are thousands of them together and they dive in and out of acros all day. We rarely get to see this behavior in our aquariums.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many things to consider when thinking about fish space, In addition to the needs of different fish and the various types of structure provided by the corals, there is a difference between water volume and swimming space.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody keeps the same tank long enough to find out anymore.

There's a greater number of tanks that never end up with enough water in them for fish to be added than tanks with so much coral growth that fish can't swim.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is over run by coral then wouldn’t that show time to get the clippers? I feel like yes given time they can take up swim room but I doubt unless you get a HUGE colony you would wind up with no swim room instantly. Yes it’s a thing out there but I don’t think a reefer should worry about it too soon - If it’s an SPS coral like the Staghorn that have HUGE gaps between their arms then swim room being taken up shouldn’t be an issue unless the arms start to grow in the way of the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While it can have an impact on total water volume, it is not a critical factor in tank planning especially with many like myself that tend to add a nice coral or colony on occasion

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great topic Daniel. I am currently dealing with this issue in my 8 footer. Up until recently i had it packed with rock and coral because most of my fish are rock dependent. They either cruise and pod hunt (copperband and wrasse), algae and sponge hunt (regal angel) or use it for security and sleep in it (firefish and basslet) but now i have a pbt coming from tsm so i am having to open up swimming space but keep my current inhabitants happy as well. Not an easy balance to keep but with the use of pvc and eggcrate, i am creating tunnels and swimthroughs behind and under the rock in hopes of keeping everyone happy.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't stuffing a can of sardines. Fish need a bigger tank so they have room to swim.

How many laps around an empty gym is a mile? Throw a basketball game in the middle, some left over gym equipment around, it is still the same distance until the room gets very full - and then you are going around obstacles and it might even be fewer laps to run a mile.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted #3, and I hate Glenn in the nicest way possible lol! Beautiful tank.
I enjoy when he posts a question on FB like he doesn't know the answer and baits people into saying what he does is impossible. And then they try to argue with him like he's a moron.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back