Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

• Total voters

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. IMO thinking that it does only separates you from others in the hobby.

I think having a SPS tank does separate you from the rest of the hobby :) that for the most part, is all you read, you aren't interested in acan, zoas, polys, soft corals, Chalices & fish only tanks ,,, its all about SPS corals.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having a SPS tank does separate you from the rest of the hobby :) that for the most part, is all you read, you aren't interested in acan, zoas, polys, soft corals, Chalices & fish only tanks ,,, its all about SPS corals.

Obviously you misunderstood my post as it pertains to the OP's question. IMO Having SPS does NOT make you an Advanced Reefer. But thinking you are because you do will separate you from the rest of the community. But some do like their private clubs right? :)

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone can have sps its growing them into huge colonies with great color and keeping them that way long term that makes you a great reefer lol I said reefer jkjk

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you claim SPS are easy to keep, you are ignorant. No matter how advanced you are, no matter what equipment you use, you must understand that SPS can be wiped out easily. My current tank is extremely successful, basically grew out in a year from frags. At this point I just keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't mess something up. I don't consider myself advanced, but I do have a practicality about my reefing. I don't care about saving money, I do whatever I think is best for the coral. This seems to lead me to tried and true equipment.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you claim SPS are easy to keep, you are ignorant. No matter how advanced you are, no matter what equipment you use, you must understand that SPS can be wiped out easily. My current tank is extremely successful, basically grew out in a year from frags. At this point I just keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't mess something up. I don't consider myself advanced, but I do have a practicality about my reefing. I don't care about saving money, I do whatever I think is best for the coral. This seems to lead me to tried and true equipment.

Anything can be wiped out easily.

Your Power could go out.
You could get a bad batch of salt.
I have heard stories of little kids dumping stuff into tanks.

I honestly find SPS easier to keep than any Coral (Even Softies).

Guess I am just lucky.

Keeping SPS does not make me think a person is an advanced hobbyist or impress me in the slightest way.

Now people that keep Chalices and keep those awesome colors.

That impresses me as that is what I could only dream of doing but usually have bad luck with.

I'll trade that for all my Sticks any day.

I dream of being a Chalice Master.

discoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that if you're successful at keeping sps that would make you a dedicated reefer. However IMO dedicated != advanced.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted No... I have been reefing now for about a year, I just started up a frag tank a week ago and put SPS frags into it. I am by far no expert or advanced reefer! I still can not tell you what is SPS or LPS at times. Heck, I can't even pronounce the names of the SPS or LPS I do have.. LOL

MFlordhelmet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 years ago, yes. 10 years ago, maybe. now absolutely not. I would say Marine breeding makes you an advanced reefer.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost more LPS than SPS, but I would not say having SPS makes you "advanced". It can be more difficult, but I've kept "expert only" fish and I certainly do not consider myself "expert". That's just my opinion. I don't care much for the whole "I'm better than others" mentality anyways, which is kind of what "advanced" and "expert" imply in my mind.

Asero1963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having success growing Sps does not qualifies u as advance reefer. Done that 18yrs now and until now my 300 still pack to the brim. U want challenge? try Non photosynthetic corals and u see what I meant.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having success growing Sps does not qualifies u as advance reefer. Done that 18yrs now and until now my 300 still pack to the brim. U want challenge? try Non photosynthetic corals and u see what I meant.

I have.... and its an pain in the a......
I will soon participate a new project with nps corals called "sustainble coral farming".

This is now.... my nps column

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423141382654.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423141382654.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 174
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423141480769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423141480769.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 174
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423141597493.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423141597493.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 174

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost more LPS than SPS, but I would not say having SPS makes you "advanced". It can be more difficult, but I've kept "expert only" fish and I certainly do not consider myself "expert". That's just my opinion. I don't care much for the whole "I'm better than others" mentality anyways, which is kind of what "advanced" and "expert" imply in my mind.

I agree.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet that would be much much harder.

Even harder would probably keeping Algae in Check in a NPS Tank.

How many Reefers accomplish that?

I have heard of only one person with an NPS Tank in my Area but I know a ton of SPS Tanks.

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping sps simply trains you to be a minimally proficient aquarist because the react quickly to instability; keeping a few sticks alive does not symbolize advanced standing imo.

Asero1963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have.... and its an pain in the a......
I will soon participate a new project with nps corals called "sustainble coral farming".

This is now.... my nps column

Nice Glenn, R those dendros or tubastrea spawn and attach to ur overflow box?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just quote everyone's responses? I think we've covered the reasons quite well in both regards.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back