Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

• Total voters

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few more.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 305
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 285
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 308
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 314
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 299

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you are an advanced reefer if you have a healthy, colorful and growing corals for an extended period of time through adverse conditions.

Just having sps does not make you a pro imo. I had sps in my tank within 4 months of reefing. I was far from advanced. 2 years in i think I can see advanced off in the distance but getting closer.

If you are looking to break out a starta I would say acro's are the plus level. You have to know what you are doing to grow colorful acro's for an extended period of time.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice frags... but way to early to claim sps are easy to keep......:)

Start reading into ways to keep alk and ca leveled, otherwise brace for the next thing to come, when they start growing substantialy and drain your macro elements

Last edited:

captainsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be established that aquarists prefer vibrant coloration, and this is due to coral pigmentation. A duller brown zooxanthellate enriched with chlorophyll is thought to be unattractive. However these corals are housing the energy for extra growth that is not found in the more brightly colored pigmentation of corals thought to be more attractive. This comes with the expense of slower growth, and most likely a decrease in lifespan as it is tougher on the corals.
In aquariums strong lighting has always been thought to be the cure all for coral growth, but additional feeding is most likely the best way to approach the matter. It may not be visible that corals soak up protozoa, amino acids and detritus....they in fact do.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no. Some SPS are the easiest coral I have ever tried to keep!

Now if you have grown several types (not just a birdsnest!) of SPS from frags to huge colonies - a couple of feet across or tall, then yes.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, longevity is much more important than specific items in your tank.
When you've had your reef for 15 years, the same fish for 10 year or more... you're a pretty darn good reefer.

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone can add a sps frag to their tank.
knowing you if you're an advanced reefer is being able to grow and maintain colors for a long period of time.

captainsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, longevity is much more important than specific items in your tank.
When you've had your reef for 15 years, the same fish for 10 year or more... you're a pretty darn good reefer.
Very good point. Especially when some fish like yellow tangs can live 35 to 40 years if left in the wild and usually don't make it 3 years in aquariums.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that if you have had a reef tank going for 15 years chances are you are pretty good. Not many of us have had a system going that long without major changes. Wow, I am going to be pretty old when I can say that I am an advanced reefer....

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree time is the factor that distinguishes a reefer
Anyone can throw a few SPS in a tank and keep them alive for 6 months or even a year or so with today's equipment and access to knowledge on the Internet and sites like this...
But someone who can keep any coral or fish for that matter alive and thriving for 5 or even 10 years has something right going on
To go a long time and not have an equipment failure, power outage, tank issue, ro issue, water issue, overgrowth, coral competition, shading, crowding, pest or disease, stn, rtn, flow issue, natural disaster, unnatural disaster, personal life issue or change, or any of million other things that can happen to ones reef, is a real accomplishment
Some may say that that could be just good luck, but good reefers don't count on luck,
They have planned contingencies to deal with any issue that may arrive, solve problems, adjust, and adapt, to their tanks needs

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me just keeping coral does not make you advanced anymore even Sps.. There are so many advances in Technology now it is not too hard to keep most corals..

To me advanced is knowing the biology behind what’s in our tanks and know how to react when something goes wrong and being able to keep a thriving reef tank many years..

You see lots of beautiful tanks nowadays that are around 3 to 5 years old but not many longer than that. Then these people disappear and are never heard from again….

Its all about biology...
+1 :)

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said yes since SPS are in my experience quite sensitive to all parameters, that being said, some LPS can be a real pain too. I would change the statement to read "long term" because really, keeping SPS or LPS alive long term and thriving makes you an advanced reefer.

And to the folks arguing about what is more expensive, they can both be expensive, it alllll depends on your preferences/taste.

A better questions would be "what makes you an advanced reefer?"

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to say no. I think having a successful mixed reef would more or less be a factor to consider someone a "expert reefer" to be able to balance the needs of sps and lps makes for a more difficult to achieve balance.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never call myself an advanced reefer, even if I had the experience and a record of success. It's just another moniker that might cause me to get too confident and screw up again. :D

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- When you understand water chemistry, it gives you a huge headstart.

- When you actively take controll over water parameters, you are bound be succesfull

- when you master the control over you water parameters , you are ready to change your luck.

- when you have routine mastering your water parameter, you don't rely on luck.

But than you are still half on your way to be an advanced reefer.

An anvanced reefer can manage and overcome problems, that come on their way.
This is beatifull hobby with many pitfalls to overcome. Only time will tell if you're an advanced reefer.

Last edited:
Back