Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

Does Having SPS Make You An Advanced Reefer?

• Total voters

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think testing your levels, proper maintenance and being knowledgeable about your livestock makes you an advanced reefer. What you keep makes no difference.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good way to see it.

"Advanced" - Being at a higher level than others
"Reefer" - One who reefs; one who keeps a reef tank

Others being who exactly??

No matter what someone's knowledge in this hobby there's still constant learning.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck, I still have no clue what I'm doing.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the Webster dictionary definition, not mine.
That means everyone is an advanced reefer (except two people) and its all relative. I say except two people because if the def for advanced is 'Being at a higher level than others' then you must be at a higher level than at least two people because others is plural. Sorry bottom two reefers in the world your not advance. (BTW that was all a joke) ;)

Being an advanced reefer has nothing to do with the livestock you keep. Its a deep understanding of how 'your' tank works and having the ability to manipulate down the desired path. This comes with experience. Yes reading/learning helps and makes experience come faster, but no its not enough in itself to ever become advance. You need experience. When I started I though I could do it all because I had read every book on coral husbandry, I knew about various diseases and the optimal treatment courses, and I had a wealth of resources at my disposal if anything ever went awry. It turns out though I was wrong. Certain nuances in coral and fish health cant be described in a book or a reef forum.

Things come up when reefing that until you deal with it you will have no clue how to work through it or pinpoint the issue. Once you start getting the been there, worked through that, can deal with that again feeling when you hear about other's reefing ailments you are on the road to becoming an advanced reefer. Being advance in any field is a never ending process and the longer you push the boundaries of your abilities and know how the more and more advanced you will become.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with access to funds can drop some dollars on sps, and then kill them or turn them brown. If you figure out how to successfully keep sps, then you are at least at the intermediate level.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no! some sps are easier to keep than softies... pavona cactus for example you cant kill. it will thrive under normal home lighting with excessive nutrients loaded in the water. montipora is another loves low light and nutrient rich water...

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No disrespect, I just think one has to be careful starting discussions on what's expensive and what's not, on what's advanced and what's not, as it can come off pretty elitest.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No disrespect, I just think one has to be careful starting discussions on what's expensive and what's not, on what's advanced and what's not, as it can come off pretty elitest.

I can agree with that.

Peoples opinions are going to differ on these topics. I'm cheeeeeap, so lots of corals carry high pricetags to me. It hasn't stopped me from having a tank full of eye popping colors though. I don't really consider myself "advanced" either. Just because I have years and years of experience in the hobby and have grown enough frags to fill up 20 tanks doesn't make me an expert. Neither does growing sps from 1/2" frags to 6" colonies. I have my way of keeping reef, and am informed on several different methods. Chances are I know more than most about reefkeeping, but there's still so much to learn.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed Pete. I suspect that the more one learns, the more one realizes how much they don't know. I'm new. I have little to no experience. I spent far more than I should have, or had to, on my tank. I've killed more pieces than I've sustained it seems, and I am having an absolute blast doing so. I'm not advanced, but I'm advancing, however slowly. LOL

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed Pete. I suspect that the more one learns, the more one realizes how much they don't know. I'm new. I have little to no experience. I spent far more than I should have, or had to, on my tank. I've killed more pieces than I've sustained it seems, and I am having an absolute blast doing so. I'm not advanced, but I'm advancing, however slowly. LOL

That's the nature of the beast.

Getting to where you know why some of your coral dies is a step in the right direction. I lost some sps a couple weeks ago. I took a step back, thought about it, and realized it was a warm week and the air conditioning hadn't been on. 86° has a tendency to do that haha.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with folks who have suggested that an "Advanced" reef keeper has a deep (or deeper) understanding of the hobby.

However, different people are going to have deeper understandings of different aspects of the hobby, which covers quite a lot of subjects. That's one of the nice things about this hobby; we all have different things that interest us, and we choose to focus on those.

You could be an expert on carpet anemones, and if you have kept several of the species alive long term, you may qualify as an advanced reef keeper, even if you never kept an SPS coral, or any coral for that matter.

Same for a lot of the harder to keep organisms (sponges, certain fish, various filter feeders, etc.).

You could also be an expert on the process or technologies available to hobbyists, and IMO, that would qualify as "Advanced" if you did things like designing or studying skimmers, lighting systems, test methods, supplements, etc. :)

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how official any of these rankings are anyway. There is no credentialing process that I'm aware of for reef keeping. Maybe we need to start a graduate program ;)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how official any of these rankings are anyway. There is no credentialing process that I'm aware of for reef keeping. Maybe we need to start a graduate program ;)

Correct, it's a recognition that have to be earned.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's the thing, if you asked if keeping SPS is more advanced than LPS or zoas I would have voted yes. However you asked if it bakes you an "Advanced Reefer" so I voted no...

An Advanced Reefer has successfully kept multiple different types of corals including Zoas, LPS, SPS, NPS and possibly even the decorative sponges. An advanced reefer understands the more advanced topic of the reefing hobby like the relationship between the chemical parameters we all shoot for. Everyone has a target and can add solution to get there, an advanced reefer will know why something isn't increasing as fast as it should. An advanced reefer has personal experience on how to treat different tank pests, fish diseases and coral ailments. This advanced reefer has these solutions at the tip of their tongue ready to provide this information where the situation calls for it. An advanced reefer has dabbled in multiple different tank methods or tank equipment and knows the benefits of each device in each ecosystem. Finally an advanced reefer is one who "normal" reefers can look up to and trust their judgement when they give advice because they know the past accomplishments of said advanced reefer.

For example, I am what I would call a "Normal" reefer. I can successfully keep SPS, LPS, NPS, Zoas, and softies without many issues. I have dabbled in different lighting technologies and tried some of the newer methods of reef keeping. However my advice is based on personal experience and should be taken with a grain of salt. Verify what I say and feel free to refute the opinion with your opinion or even better, facts!

A second example would be Randy. I consider him to be an advanced reefer with solid expert strength in chemistry on top. He always has good advice and to be honest, if he said to do something chemistry related I would follow without question. That's because I trust his judgement and his knowledge on the hobby.

I would have to say 85% of the reefers on this site and 95% of the reefers not on this site I would put in the normal or newbie categories. What you keep or years in the hobby do not make you advanced. Knowledge and wisdom related to the hobby gets you that title.

Wow, that was Spot on.

I think people think SPS keepers are "Advanced" because so many people say they cannot keep SPS and I have heard people say it is "Impossible".

Well I have kept SPS for years now and for me it is the easiest to keep Coral.

For me they are essentially bulletproof.

Most people say LPS is easy.

Especially Chalices.

But they receed on me all the time.

I have a ton of trouble with LPS.

But SPS is "Bulletproof" for me.

Everyone has the Corals that they cannot keep.

A lot of it is how it is set up.

I think a lot of new Reefers try SPS and kill it but they have week lights and no flow and assume SPS is impossible.

They just needed to set up their tank right.

I think that keeping SPS is an indicator that you may be advanced but does not necessarily mean you are advanced.

For instance if someone comes up to me and says that they keep SPS I would assume they are more advanced than someone who comes up to me and says their favorite Coral is Xenia.

But it is just a generalization or a stereotype and I may be wrong in my assumption and maybe the other person just loves Xenia and not a Noob and the SPS is a Noob that just has their Tank set up properly for SPS.

If I had to bet on which one is Advanced I would put my Money on the SPS Person.

But I could be totally wrong.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back