Does this mushroom accept food?

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! It’s me, I was wondering if this is a type of mushroom coral that accepts food? Currently both of the other two mushrooms in the tank curl up when offered food, but this little guy simply sticks out little tentacles from his mouth And doesn’t otherwise react to it. I don’t think it’s something to do with the tank as the other two mushrooms feed fine, and I had read online that some mushrooms are simply purely photosynthetic, so I was wondering if this one was maybe one of those species? Or does he only accept smaller food than what I’m offering (the food in question is just frozen mysis, thawed out beforehand)?
Thanks in advance, ReefNewbie.

F7E419CC-657E-48C2-BC99-0FF1AC4BEA33.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! It’s me, I was wondering if this is a type of mushroom coral that accepts food? Currently both of the other two mushrooms in the tank curl up when offered food, but this little guy simply sticks out little tentacles from his mouth And doesn’t otherwise react to it. I don’t think it’s something to do with the tank as the other two mushrooms feed fine, and I had read online that some mushrooms are simply purely photosynthetic, so I was wondering if this one was maybe one of those species? Or does he only accept smaller food than what I’m offering (the food in question is just frozen mysis, thawed out beforehand)?
Thanks in advance, ReefNewbie.

F7E419CC-657E-48C2-BC99-0FF1AC4BEA33.jpeg
Looks like rhodactis to me.
Yes they will eat mysis, fish eggs, reef roids and pretty much any food that falls on them during feeding time.
Some take awhile to acclimate to feeding but once they start eating they will eat daily.
Do you have reef roids or something similar on hand? Turn off flow. Target feed directly on cap at mouth it will most likely respond pretty quickly.

OP
OP
ReefNewbie12

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like rhodactis to me.
Yes they will eat mysis, fish eggs, reef roids and pretty much any food that falls on them during feeding time.
Some take awhile to acclimate to feeding but once they start eating they will eat daily.
Do you have reef roids or something similar on hand? Turn off flow. Target feed directly on cap at mouth it will most likely respond pretty quickly.
No unfortunately , it’s just the mysis (which has worked for the fish and the coral thus far admittedly), I‘ll see if I can get some next time I’m out in that case! Thanks for the help. I do think it’d be confusing for it to still be acclimating from moving, especially considering the Ricordea that had been bought the same day as it had been eating even on that first day (I had tried to give both of them a quick snack just to test their appetite, the Ricordea ate but this guy had the same reaction as he had today).

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't always eat. It really can take some shrooms months to acclimate and get used to eating. Chances are its just not hungry. Keep offering food once a week it will eventually eat for you. Low to no flow and a little reef roids on cap usually gets all shrooms eating.
Ricordia, Yuma, Rhodactis will all eat meaty foods. Discos tend to like reef roids or similar based foods.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine definitely eat. It’s hard to notice because they use only their mucus and don’t always curl up or visibly react.

Below are a few of mine reacting (time lapsed) to feeding. My camera was being a jerk so I was late, but…. The green rhodactis in the top right is the clear example.

Slurp In Mah Tummy

I also keep food in the water column. So these guys are always pooping. They definitely eat. The orange bounce is now the size of my palm when fully extended (from the size of about a silver dollar).

OP
OP
ReefNewbie12

ReefNewbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The lil’ guy finally reacted! Thanks for the advice everyone, it ended up being mysis because the local stores didn’t have coral-specific food, but I’m so happy to see he’s finally getting some food in his lil’ belly! (Sorry about the lighting)
EB4808EA-5E27-4334-A453-7EB9FAE83D64.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back