Does velvet also make the fish breathe heavily?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have a hard time telling the difference between ich & velvet, or incorrectly assume all "white spots" are ich. Below are some pics of a Hippo Tang - the first one has ich, the next 4 show velvet.

Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) - Oval shaped white dots, can usually be counted. These remain on the fish for 3-7 days before dropping off to continue their lifecycle.

img_8198-1-jpg.319976

Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) - Smaller round white dots. Oftentimes completely covering the fish & too numerous to be counted. These remain 12 hrs - 4 days before dropping off. Velvet is a far deadlier, more dangerous pathogen than ich.

0026a4e5342bfd7cff4fe0bd416c8e9f.jpg
d143c1b48a886a37ce62a4cc4e27f38f.jpg
439ef9b06ab0848efbdff8204c8a3ff4.jpg
23d6e1925f7e894c01d9358d2462f439.jpg

Thank you to @jmt1030 for allowing me to use these images.
Does velvet also make the fish breathe heavily?
My tang got something that looks like velvet but also ich, I can’t tell what it is but he has begun to breathe heavily.. I don’t want to lose a tang I’ve grown from 1” to 2.5” and owned for 20 months

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, have you added anything new recently?
Can you post pics without all blues?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, have you added anything new recently?
Can you post pics without all blues?
So, the newest addition was a Lubbock fairy wrasse however, he went in there and showed 0 signs of ich or anything and he went in a week ago,

the tang only showed signs today, I’ll get a better image when he comes to the front again
F7D412A7-3091-47FC-BDB2-5A381B75496F.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it’s a case of ‘fish out all the fish and spread them over the three spare tanks we have’ but the issue is each tank holds around 15 gallons, and there’s 5 very active wrasse, a blue eye kole tang, a CBB and a clownfish (I also have a nano which will have to be used as a holding tank.. so that’s a total of 14 fish spread through 3 tanks)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a kinda better picture, it’s spread further down his back.. what do I do? My LFS is closed till Wednesday so I can’t get any water to set up the other two spare tanks
image.jpg

I sent a picture of it to one of the people who worked at the LFS I go to and he said it looked like white spot or flukes but I’m eliminating the fluke thought since the Lubbock came from an uninfected setup and the water we get is pure (and no fish or coral is in it) and then the last coral we got was a month ago

Last edited:

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the pics it does look like flukes then ich.
Not sure what meds you have over there but I would continue to observe and if you research api general cure (metro and Prazi) you may be able to dose in reef tank and if it is ich that too can be managed with a little research

Of course a qt is best with the best results but sometimes it’s impossible to remove everything and run fallow.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pics it does look like flukes then ich.
Not sure what meds you have over there but I would continue to observe and if you research api general cure (metro and Prazi) you may be able to dose in reef tank and if it is ich that too can be managed with a little research

Of course a qt is best with the best results but sometimes it’s impossible to remove everything and run fallow.
The biggest spare tank I have is probably around 21” long (As a guess) and the biggest fish I have is around 5”, so for around 6 weeks I’m hoping it’s an alright plan, also do the rocks, water and sand need to fellow with the tank?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is what I would do,

Catch a fish that has visible spots on, give them a freshwater dip for 5mins using RO water, aerated and same temp as tank.
If the fish appears stressed pull him early 3mins or so. Tangs act out when they don’t like something.

The FW dip should be done in a dark container or place a black background underneath a clear container. After the FW dip examine for anything at the bottom that has fallen off. This will confirm if flukes and possibly velvet. Ich will not fall off during FW dip

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I would do,

Catch a fish that has visible spots on, give them a freshwater dip for 5mins using RO water, aerated and same temp as tank.
If the fish appears stressed pull him early 3mins or so. Tangs act out when they don’t like something.

The FW dip should be done in a dark container or place a black background underneath a clear container. After the FW dip examine for anything at the bottom that has fallen off. This will confirm if flukes and possibly velvet. Ich will not fall off during FW dip
Okay! I’ll try a FW dip, one more question: How do you aerate the RO water?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Air stone while warming water or if you use a large enough container a powerhead.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air stone while warming water or if you use a large enough container a powerhead.
Thank you!! I’ll try get a large container to use a powerhead since I don’t have an air stone but I may not be able to

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will use a 10 gallon tank (not sure how many liters) and fill up or just fill 1/2 way

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use a 10 gallon tank (not sure how many liters) and fill up or just fill 1/2 way
Unfortunately I only have 15g tanks (both sitting outside) but I could use them

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try leaving the net in the tank and walk away, sometimes this works after they get use to it most times they are smarter than me.
Tearing a tank apart sucks but you need to evaluate your tanks situation

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try leaving the net in the tank and walk away, sometimes this works after they get use to it most times they are smarter than me.
Tearing a tank apart sucks but you need to evaluate your tanks situation
Yeah, I kept taking the ne t out and leaving it for a while until the tang went to the front of the tank but that plan was a mess

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve given up on trying to fish the tang out of the tank (mostly because the lights went blue and he was stressing out more)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet, time is of the essence. @Jay Hemdal will be able to give you the best info,.

You cannot see flukes on the body or gills of the fish BTW.

Rapid breathing points to velvet more than to ich.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet, time is of the essence. @Jay Hemdal will be able to give you the best info,.

You cannot see flukes on the body or gills of the fish BTW.

Rapid breathing points to velvet more than to ich.
This is perfect.. My third oldest fish is showing signs of velvet, my LFS doesn’t open till Wednesday, and the tang is stressed out from me trying to get it into the net to give it a FW dip

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back