Don't forget to blow off your rock work! How often do you do it, and what do you use?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
I've done it once. Do people do it to remove detritus? My tank depletes po4 and no3 very quickly, so probably wouldn't make much sense to do it in my case.
Loads of detritus build up in the rocks.

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it and you will be amazed what comes off and out.

"What comes out " is not a reason for doing it. Sure... plenty will come out. But that does not mean it needs to be cleaned or it's beneficial.

The question of the topic is wrong in escense.

"Do you blow of your rock" is not a usefull question.
"What impact has blowing of you rock in your tank" is the right question.

Cleaning is not always "better".

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of rock that is not covered with corals yet. My tank has a heavy bioload and generates a lot of organic matter that gets trapped on the rocks and in the cracks and crevices. A turkey baster is my best friend. I use it on the rocks once a week, sometimes more. I guess I've always thought of this as a standard procedure and am surprised that many haven't at least heard of it.
"What impact has blowing of you rock in your tank" is the right question.

Cleaning is not always "better".
It helps keep the rocks free of loose organic matter. I think that makes a better substrate for organisms we might want to grow like coralline and heterotrophic bacteria. I'll stipulate that the organic matter and biofilms this procedure removes are good for things like pods and such. I have a cryptic fuge for that purpose.

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of rock that is not covered with corals yet. My tank has a heavy bioload and generates a lot of organic matter that gets trapped on the rocks and in the cracks and crevices. A turkey baster is my best friend. I use it on the rocks once a week, sometimes more. I guess I've always thought of this as a standard procedure and am surprised that many haven't at least heard of it.

It helps keep the rocks free of loose organic matter. I think that makes a better substrate for organisms we might want to grow like coralline and heterotrophic bacteria. I'll stipulate that the organic matter and biofilms this procedure removes are good for things like pods and such. I have a cryptic fuge for that purpose.

I agree with the filosofie.

I just think we do not need to be at the point you can "blow off" detrius (organic matter).

Sure, if you have a layer of organic matter.. we all agree blowing it off is the least you can do, and you rather want to clean it and change the way you run your tanks. A "layer" of organic matter would be a problem in many ways.

But, a little bit of matter IN the rock... I don't know, but in my opinion... thats beneficial. I do not wan't to blow it "out".

I think no rock in the world is not filled with "matter". I think a lot of creatures live in the rock due to that organic matter.

But yea, I don't know if @revhtree really ment to ask "Blow off" and not "Blow out"....
If you need to blow OFF stuff from your rocks.. you need to stop doing whatever you are doing :)

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkey baster like a boss! before a water change :)

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the filosofie.

I just think we do not need to be at the point you can "blow off" detrius (organic matter).

Sure, if you have a layer of organic matter.. we all agree blowing it off is the least you can do, and you rather want to clean it and change the way you run your tanks. A "layer" of organic matter would be a problem in many ways.

But, a little bit of matter IN the rock... I don't know, but in my opinion... thats beneficial. I do not wan't to blow it "out".

I think no rock in the world is not filled with "matter". I think a lot of creatures live in the rock due to that organic matter.

But yea, I don't know if @revhtree really ment to ask "Blow off" and not "Blow out"....
If you need to blow OFF stuff from your rocks.. you need to stop doing whatever you are doing :)

Even when using way more aggressive techniques than a turkey baster, you will never remove enough of the organic matter to limit the organisms that live in or on the rocks. For me, it's not a have to thing... It's a want to thing.

I would not want to stop the things that I'm doing just so I could skip 10 minutes a week of maintenance. That is particularly true because I think the things I do ensure available food for the system's entire food web.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to use a powerhead and blow all the "extra" loose crap off my rocks. Why? Because even when I have 90x turnover in my display there is stuff that settles and doesn't get skimmed or filtered out running through my sump. The more I blow it off the rocks the more it gets suspended in the water column for my skimmer to process. I also feel like the less crap settling on my rocks the more likely coral seems to encrust and spread. I literally can see this happen as I blow off certain parts of rock and corals will always start to overtake that area.

There is a major difference when I get lazy with this above technique. The more my corals grow the less I tend to do this. Large grown/stable reefs have their own unique set of challenges that are much more difficult than trying to start a new tank IMO. :)

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use an old maxijet once a week, getting into all the nooks and crannies and paying special attention to blasting off each coral. The wrasses will eat up anything that shouldn't be on the coral, once it's blasted free. I then dose the entire tank with coral snow (calcium carbonate powder), while all of that organic waste is suspended in the water column. Sometimes I will mix the CC with amino's, to give the coral a little extra good stuff. Works so well, I try to never miss a week.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning the detritus off of your rock work is an important part of your reef maintenance. Some people use a turkey baster, and others use a small powerhead. This needs to be done with some frequency, but I've seen this done on every schedule from nightly to almost never. I'd say it should be done at least once a month or so. What do you guys think? What's your routine? How often do you clean your rocks, and what do you use?
I use a spot feeder to clean my rocks. I do it every day. My dragon loves to sand bomb my corals so im always blowing sand off them. Figure why not blow the rocks clean while I'm at it.

Books

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning the detritus off of your rock work is an important part of your reef maintenance. Some people use a turkey baster, and others use a small powerhead. This needs to be done with some frequency, but I've seen this done on every schedule from nightly to almost never. I'd say it should be done at least once a month or so. What do you guys think? What's your routine? How often do you clean your rocks, and what do you use?
Unfortunately not as often as I should!☹

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reminder. My rock is full of worms so I have let it go. Do you think I still should?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reminder. My rock is full of worms so I have let it go. Do you think I still should?
its very important to blow out the rocks once in a while. We use the rocks because all the tiny little holes and dents increase the surface area, but those little holes and dents can become filled with detritus, therefore reducing the surface area of the rocks and reducing their effectiveness.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it weekly, part of my regular maintenance. I use a turkey baster, does the job and get everything into the water column. It’s a high flow SPS tank so that’s all I need to do.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I now use a small bilge pump, connected to a DIY controller, so I can ramp the speed up and down, depending on where I am using it in the tank. SPS can take a good blast, but LPS hate it. The bilge pump is DC, so no worries about getting a jolt of AC through the heart, if the power cord wears out. This is something we should really discuss in this thread. Holding an AC pump in water, is a recipe for a potential personal disaster.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is bare bottom and I have 4 MP 40's at the very bottom 2 on each end. I can't believe the crap that comes out of my rocks when I use a Turkey baster. But even with my return cranked up and filter sock media it seams that most of it just settles back down into the rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back