Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today I'm "skimping" on a description of this thread and simply asking you to answer these simple questions.

1. In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium you should not "SKIMP" on this?

2. What have you "skimped" on that has worked well for you?

Untitled-2.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a velvet out break that left only two fat chromis, I stopped feeding the tank and man did the corals explode. The Tank has required a lot less maintenance. Six months later I added a tang for grazing, a wrass for pest control and a baby clown for the grandkids ;)
So I am skimping on fish and fish food, and we will see how it goes.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say I skimp at all on critical equipment, nor on additives, supplements and foods. In fact anything that gets wet and has a power cord I aim for best quality I can. Ditto anything that is supposed to hold water.

In my case, it is more about DIY mixing of stuff, or DIY building of stuff.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t skimp on anything. I use the best salt, best water, best food I can find.. but that doesn’t stop me from being lazy and screwing my tank up. I think people can skimp on some things.. But NEVER ever be lazy.. being lazy with your system will bite you in the butt.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find the thing you want, used, or on sale... GREAT!

IMHO, buying something that is _not_ what you really wanted just leads to buying it twice, which is seldom a bargain.

When I was planning my tank, I decided I wanted a 60" x 30" x 18" tank. Think I'm gonna find that used? Nope. That's a custom tank. There was a rimless frag tank from one of the tank makers that has since gone away that was 48" x 30" x 18". Could have saved a BUNDLE going that way... but would I ever have been happy with it? Nope.

When I was lighting the tank, I knew I wanted T5+ Kessel LED's. Was looking at 360's, when I found a pair of slightly used AP700's for sale, guy used to run an aquarium shop, shut it down. These were virtually new lights, ran for a couple of months, price was WAY under retail. About 30% of retail.

So... I wanted Kessels, I got Kessels, top of the line units, in excellent condition, for a price that was far cheaper than new. Was that skimping? Eh...

Do your research, buy what you really want, and always keep your options open on used gear... as long as that used gear is what you really wanted :)

Don't buy twice.

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium you should not "SKIMP" on this?

Patience -- skimping on this will eventually cost you a lot more.

2. What have you "skimped" on that has worked well for you?

I'm trying to keep things simpler this time around and I've skimped on purchasing a skimmer. So far, so good, going on ~5 months.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have skimped on my $12 Lowe's ATO water reservoir rather than paying $150 for a nice looking acrylic one. My goal starting out is to spend money on quality equipment such as the Tunze 3155 ATO that has multiple redundant backups. But I am not paying Cadillac prices for everything such as $800 plus for lighting.

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am.old enough to know just because something is exspensive isn't always the best. I look at reviews and do as much research as I can. Money doesn't grow on trees so cost is a factor for me. Just do your research and due diligence and don't cut corners, atleast at first. Trial and error in some cases. I purchased a set of blowers with decent reviews and a low price. When I received them I was shocked at how small the were, lol. I have been using them for a month now and I am disappointed with them. Lesson learned with blowers. So I will.be purchasing a different pair next month and use the small ones as saltwater mixers. Lesson learned on power heads.
As far as what I skimmped on was my lighting. I know lighting is most important but I didnt need anything that has all the bells and whistles but something that would work well and on my price range. So far so good and I like my lights as well.

Last edited:

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “skimped” on pretty much everything I have for this hobby. Got a well used setup with hideous retrofit metal halide retrofit reflectors sitting on top. Mid to low grade equipment of all sorts. And cheap test kits. I even get the least expensive corals and fish I can find.
I suppose I can’t really call it skimping when it just all I can afford though lol. Point is. After a bit of work and research, cheap has don’t the jobs or me.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't skimp on much with this hobby. I did when I was younger and didn't have much money. But now that I'm older, I just get what I want. That said, I do skimp sometimes on equipment. I recently upgraded my Reefbrite Tech to a XHO which I picked up used. Buying good equipment used is a great way to "skimp".

TruckerTami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We converted a 36 bowfront that was freshwater into a saltwater. We skimped on a powerhead and lights, just ran a regular junk HOB filter, and a FluvalSmart light. As I learned more I got a better HOB filter, acquired a used HOB skimmer, trashed the cheap powerheads (after 4 of them) and got an MP10. When I decided to build a 40 breeder and start coral, with the mistakes we saw on the 36, my partner told me to not skimp on necessary items anymore, lol. The 36 has no coral because I do not believe the light or system would be adequate for any, but on the 40 I put Primes. Hoping to one day get an AIO to move the 36 stuff from, but other then that, I’ll never have any other tank without a sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really impossible to answer. Folks will pay for corals/fish based on presumed scarcity …. something that is generally not true for equipment. Trident was an exception early on, but even there it's unclear to me how many folks were actually willing to pay 'scalped' pricing. It's easier to make a judgement as a consumer about what you are getting in terms of equipment cost (plastic cylinder, some fittings, a motor …. etc.) and thus an imputed price. People do tend to underappreciate the less obvious costs of course, R&D, overheads etc. Throw all those things into the mix and you get regular winging about prices LOL.

In terms of skimping specifically, I have always felt that quality pays off in the long run so I will pay more initially for a longer useful life. It doesn't always work out of course, but I generally try to buy stuff with a track record of reliability and performance.

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimped on a RODI unit. I didn't realize how much water I would be needing and using. As soon as I need to replace some of the filters I'll just upgrade to a bigger more appropriate unit.

peteyspizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would say DON’T skimp on crucial parts of equipment, for example a crappy/undersized heater, overflow box, etc.
2. IMO it is okay to skimp in less important pieces of equipment like power heads and filters, especially if there’s more than one and nothing will really go wrong if it fails.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing's I've "skimped" on: (meaning bought non-brand name)
+ means I'm happy with the decision, - means I would buy name brand now

-GAC
+lights
+powerheads
-heaters
+sump (diy)
+return pump
-RODI filter

I think in general, "Skimping" when budget is tight is okay and for me usually turns out just fine. Just have the expectation that eventually one of your skimp items will need replaced earlier than you'd like. I do prefer to buy new with heaters, powerheads and lights, even if on the cheaper end. I feel those are things that will wear with use and used is uping your risk factor.

erophames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I skimmped on was return pump, went jaebo, but have two dcp-8000 in the event one fails.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back